Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, pretty cool.:51QQ
Any reasons why you use Direct output mode and not Dolby Atmos Output mode?
I thought Direct mode just played whatever the source material was.. meaning in this case it would still be Atmos? I changed it to Atmos just now and don't notice any difference. Anyway, I have a 7.1 setup and not the Atmos 5.1.2 setup.

Sorry. But I am not impressed by the Dobly Atmos content on Tidal. For most of the tracks no multitrack tapes have been used for the remix.

This is utter nonsense.

You can dislike the result (as I do on many), but every Atmos mix I’ve heard used multitracks.

And they are in indeed remixes. Notice that every statement from Dolby says they are “remastered”, even from those who know better. This is likely deliberate, as “remix” today often connotes a significant change in the instrmentation or sound of the original.

Volume level is lower than average.

True, and really annoying.

Will see if it is worth to keep subscription after the 60 days trial.

I had heard the offer was 60 days but I only got 30 for the Hi-fi level subscription needed for Atmos. Skeptical about the value of $20/month because my experience has been that after the initial offerings such services tend to just dribble in few additions yet somehow expect you to keep paying. We’ll see.

Okay, i will check it in a few days if it is possible to stream tidal in 5.1 on a 5.1 setup with a FireTV Stick. Would be cool for the guys without atmos setup :)

Read my other post. You will get an error message saying you are not setup for Atmos and it plays in stereo.

Read my other post. You will get an error message saying you are not setup for Atmos and it plays in stereo.
okay, thanks. i thought it is possible, because i got a 5.1 output from Tidal with my fireTV on my 7.1 setup with an atmos capable receiver and FHD TV.

okay, thanks. i thought it is possible, because i got a 5.1 output from Tidal with my fireTV on my 7.1 setup with an atmos capable receiver and FHD TV.

I wonder why you got 5.1 rather than 7.1, or Atmos for that matter if your receiver has Atmos? Must be a handshake issue of some sort. Is TV 4K and everything set for highest output?

I wonder why you got 5.1 rather than 7.1, or Atmos for that matter if your receiver has Atmos? Must be a handshake issue of some sort. Is TV 4K and everything set for highest output?
yes, i have wonderd too, thats the reason why i wanted to test it :) yes my receiver (ONKY TX-NR656) has atmos, but FTV only plays 5.1. But i can stream it in atmos to my 7.1 setup with my shield tv.

Short information about my Setup. I have an Onkyo TX-NR656 and the FireTV and ShieldTV are connected to the HDCP 2.2 Input. A 7.1 system is connected to the AVR. An old (8 years) Sony FullHD television is connected to the video output. .......
i described my extraordinary situation here :)

yes, i have wonderd too, thats the reason why i wanted to test it :) yes my receiver (ONKY TX-NR656) has atmos, but FTV only plays 5.1. But i can stream it in atmos to my 7.1 setup with my shield tv.

i described my extraordinary situation here :)

The 4K version of the Firestick most likely doesn't have the same limitation as the older model you are testing?

Makes sense you aren't getting Atmos if you are "only" running 7.1, but only getting 5.1 is a head scratcher.

I wonder if a HDMI de-embedder would trick the device into streaming the Tidal Atmos tracks to a non-atmos processor?

There are so many really good Dolby Atmos tracks available in Tidal. One artist who doesnt disappoint is Beck.
His 'Amazon Original' Up All Night, Paisley Park Sessions track, is one of the best I've heard so far.

Think we will need a separate thread to rate these Tidal Atmos tracks...unless we get hit by a Tidal Wave!!

For anyone hesitating and has the set up to hear this streaming service from Tidal, can I just say, that after listening to a wide variety of Atmos tracks, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

For me it will be expensive if I want to play Tidal Atmos,and I can't see it happen.I can get a Firestick 4K for a OK price here in Norway,but my Atmos AVR is an older model with no HDMI 2.2,but it works fine for Atmos from discs.I'm retired and can't justify the cost to upgrade,and I'm fine with that,but I envy you a little bit.;)

Is anyone getting Tidal Atmos directly using an AVR that supports Tidal streaming?

Is there such a thing? In any event, it seems that so far, Tidal, Dolby, Amazon, Apple, and NVIDIA have conspired to restrict Atmos streaming to a limited number of supported devices--several of which clearly aren't being "supported" properly yet...

When I couldn't get my Fire TV Stick 2016 to work, I tried streaming via HDMI to my AVR from the Tidal desktop app on my Windows 10 laptop. Doesn't matter whether I select Atmos, 7.1, 5.1, or 2.0 as the Windows sound output mode to my AVR; Tidal streams in stereo only.

Is there such a thing? In any event, it seems that so far, Tidal, Dolby, Amazon, Apple, and NVIDIA have conspired to restrict Atmos streaming to a limited number of supported devices--several of which clearly aren't being "supported" properly yet...
I believe that was an earlier question by myself as well; as there may be some AVRs that have Tidal access built-in; but if they go through HEOS that may be restrictive, still not sure until someone actually tries all that?

Back