Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have got a support ticket lodged with Oppo regarding this as apparently it has been reported to Tidal who state the problem is with Oppo to resolve:mad:
Received confirmation email from Oppo that Tidal app now works on the Oppo’s that have the app, checked on my 105 and it is now back working DOES NOT play the Atmos tracks though, although to be fair it’s not on the list of supported options. Maybe it will get updated in time......maybe!!

There have been a few ATMOS tracks mentioned that aren’t in the ATMOS playlists. For example, how do you find Rocket Man? I have found about 5 entries of that Elton song doing various searches but can’t locate the ATMOS version. What is the trick? Thanks!

Yeah it's a bit of a pain in the arse trying to find some Atmos tracks... You should see some of them here -

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/55e2bd25-c0a5-4657-8237-a37509604d41
If you save/like from a desktop or mobile account they should then show up in your Atmos capable thingymejig app... 📺

What happened to Rock Lobster?

Now grayed out and brings up this ugly message:

77FA1AC7-F56B-470A-BCFC-2401932669B2.png

I seem to recall someone mentioning upthread (@MrSmithers ?) that the new Atmos version of "Tell Me Something Good" has the lead vocal in the rears, which is definitely not the case on the quad. The entire Rags To Rufus album has an incredible quad mix - it's one of my favorite matrix-encoded quad LPs.

Yep that and Super Bad by James Brown both have the main vocal in the rears... A rather peculiar mixing choice?! They should have just plonked the quad on instead! :cool:

This is utter nonsense.

You can dislike the result (as I do on many), but every Atmos mix I’ve heard used multitracks.

And they are in indeed remixes. Notice that every statement from Dolby says they are “remastered”, even from those who know better. This is likely deliberate, as “remix” today often connotes a significant change in the instrmentation or sound of the original.
You can 'remix' using digital filtering techniques without using the original multitrack 'tapes'. Take The Allman Brother Band tracks. They have filtered out some instruments and add them to the dolby atmos height speakers.
Ask Steven Wilson how long it will take to do a proper remix from the original multitracks....
So I do not think this is nonsense. I have been working at Polygram in the past next to the Wisseloord studios and have seen the live mixing process many times.

There are so many really good Dolby Atmos tracks available in Tidal. One artist who doesnt disappoint is Beck.
His 'Amazon Original' Up All Night, Paisley Park Sessions track, is one of the best I've heard so far.

Pointer or search string to get this one please? I can't seem to find it and have tried multiple searches and looked at many playlists including the one from the post 2 up with (all) Tidal_Songs.pdf and haven't spotted it.

Tidal only does 44/16 unless you upgrade to "Master" which you'll be able to access MQA stuff, but of course, for MQA you need the DAC that can handle MQA. This was why I quit Tidal a little over a year ago to go to Qobuz. However with Tidal having Atmos, I'm back :SB

I'm in the same boat; migrated from Tidal to Qobuz about a year ago, but have reactivated my Tidal subscription this past week. I was actually able to use MQA via Oppo 205 DAC, but didn't notice any huge improvement with MQA, and just preferred the interface of Qobuz over Tidal & Amazon Music HD. Tested them all, but Qobuz won out. Tidal seems to want to steer you in the direction of their rap/ hip hop, and that's just not really my thing. I liked Amazon, but I also use Roon, and you're limited to Qobuz/ Tidal w/ Roon. Plus, I like how you actually know the bit/ sample rate you're getting w/ Qobuz, and I'm not sure that the other 2 were as clear on that. Regarding Atmos on Tidal, there are A LOT of great tracks and mixes out there!

On another note, I tested Atmos on Tidal through Roon the other day, and couldn't get it to work. Roon supports multichannel (at least up to 7.1 anyways), so maybe that will be supported eventually. This may have something to do w/ the Tidal PC app and/ or web browser app not having been updated for Atmos yet. Apple TV 4K works great for now though!

What happened to Rock Lobster?

Now grayed out and brings up this ugly message:

View attachment 52129
This is what makes me so hesitant about reliance on streaming subscription services... the music you're paying for can disappear at any moment. You have no control over your collection of tunes and you don't own it. If I had an Atmos Receiver and Atmos speaker set-up, though, I think I would try this out, but since I don't and it would be a rather large expenditure to get there I'm going to have to wait... maybe if we get enough tangible Atmos releases I'll make the jump to Atmos. I'm glad to hear Penny's mixes sound so good!

I wonder if the way I'm feeling is similar to when the old Quad guys were told they had to add 1.1 speakers and a new receiver to their set-up, lol.

What did you enter in the search engine to get all the results?
Thanks!
i did this on a dolby atmos capable android phone, they have under "explore" a extra tab called "dolby atmos" (Like 360 audi or tidal masters). On other phones (android and ios) is this not possible...
For my Luck, i have an atmos capable phone. i havent found another way to list all atmos tracks... if i find more tracks in this section, i will post it here.

Attachments

• mk0cmooane441.jpg
    mk0cmooane441.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 133
Pointer or search string to get this one please? I can't seem to find it and have tried multiple searches and looked at many playlists including the one from the post 2 up with (all) Tidal_Songs.pdf and haven't spotted it.
Hi
It's listed under Dolby Atmos Music: Alternative
Track 23 and 29 are both by Beck.

There are some really excellent other tracks too!!
Just not enough hours in the day to explore all the Atmos tracks!!
Really helpful, that folk are posting playlists, as Tidal ain't the most intuitive site to navigate.
Cheers
Mike

i did this on a dolby atmos capable android phone, they have under "explore" a extra tab called "dolby atmos" (Like 360 audi or tidal masters). On other phones (android and ios) is this not possible...
For my Luck, i have an atmos capable phone. i havent found another way to list all atmos tracks... if i find more tracks in this section, i will post it here.
Hopefully they will add a section for Atmos on the Desktop or web app under Explore like they did for Masters. It did take awhile for them to add Masters though when MQA releases first started on Tidal. It would be cool to see the little DD symbol here.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 12.28.28 PM.png

Hopefully they will add a section for Atmos on the Desktop or web app under Explore like they did for Masters. It did take awhile for them to add Masters though when MQA releases first started on Tidal. It would be cool to see the little DD symbol here.

View attachment 52140
yes, it is a bit strange, as you said on desktop, on ios devices (ipad and i think iphones) i can not see the dolby icon next to the songs. on an android smartphone, which is NOT atmos capable i can see the dolby icon but not the atmos section...

View attachment 52140
The link I sent earlier opens the same page that you would get if the link would be visible in desktop or web app.. but yes, I agree it would be a lot more convenient if the link would be straight available in the app

Try the TIDAL Web Player

Back