Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a stupid search entering "Greg Penny" and to my surprise I was able to get all songs for which is credited. After a visual inspection, I was able to create a playlist with his Atmos mixes:
https://tidal.com/playlist/493d4ebe-19b3-4ba3-a229-cb9e178324d6

I thought ES mixed Appetite for atmos? So these tidal mixes are actually different mixes? Is this now a way to compare mixers since in the past the same song was rarely if ever mixed in surround by two different mixers?

how does "Riders on the storm" sound compared to the SACD and DVD-A and who did the mix?
Interesting that Tidal did not provide information for RotS...unknown who mixed.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.24.55 AM.png

Interesting that Tidal did not provide information for RotS...unknown who mixed.

View attachment 52163

I’d imagine it's Bruce Botnick? He‘s been involved with all The Doors releases... And was interviewed on an Atmos panel not too long ago...
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2020/1/6/remastering-music-in-immersive-audio
It sounds pretty good! You get the sense of thunder and rain in a 3D way. ☔ And the intro is pretty cool... I bet it would sound even better if I had a 7.1.4 system... :cool:

I’ve been holding out but I fear I cannot any longer. It may be time to upgrade to an Atmos-capable AVR. Unfortunately, the ones capable of delivering at least 5.1.4 (9 channels) are still quite pricey. Was hoping to wait a year and get a last-year’s model on clearance. Like the Denon AVR-X3660H.

You may know already but the best place I've found for authorized Denon refurbs is Accessories4less

Looks like they don't currently have a 3600 in stock but offer notification and I'd bet they do pop up from time to time.

You could also consider a 4xxxx series (which they do have). I keep my eye on ebay listings for another example

Also consider avsforum.com classifieds

You may know already but the best place I've found for authorized Denon refurbs is Accessories4less

Looks like they don't currently have a 3600 in stock but offer notification and I'd bet they do pop up from time to time.

You could also consider a 4xxxx series (which they do have). I keep my eye on ebay listings for another example

Also consider avsforum.com classifieds

Indeed: vaguely intending to upgrade my 5.1.2 receiver, I had my eye there on a Marantz SR6013, which for a few weeks earlier this year was down to $649. After it sold out, I called A4L and was told they hoped to have more in sometime between late May and late July, once the supply chain for refurbished units was up and running again. You can click on the "Notify Me" button and they'll email you if and when a sold-out model is back in stock.

I lodged a ticket with Tidal re the low volume, got a response asking me to check various non relative settings on my system replied advising them it was nothing to do with my system and that it was being reported on forums from their subscribers in USA and all over a Europe. Just had a further response saying it has been referred to the tech support team for investigation and follow up, asking for patience while they work toward a resolution.

Thanks edisonbaggins and EricKalet.
Then I may order a Firestick 4K,that should work?If not I have 14 days to return it.A little expensive with AppleTV 4K just to play music.

Just to play music, yes expensive, but there is a whole lot more you can do on ATV4k...movies, tv, app store, etc...Pearl Jam Gigaton @edisonbaggins :rocks

I’ve been holding out but I fear I cannot any longer. It may be time to upgrade to an Atmos-capable AVR. Unfortunately, the ones capable of delivering at least 5.1.4 (9 channels) are still quite pricey.

So true.

My Sony 5.1.2 was only $479 at Costco (I missed the sale where it was even cheaper), but fear I’ve already outgrown it. Those speaker-top “up-firing” speakers are complete BS — I plan to wall mount those high up when I get in the mood to climb a ladder with a hammer (and buy white speaker wire). Pretty sure now I’ll need two more ceiling speakers.

The 9-channel version of my Sony is $1500 — plus I’ll have to return my Sony to Costco after a year. They won’t be happy.

So true.

My Sony 5.1.2 was only $479 at Costco (I missed the sale where it was even cheaper), but fear I’ve already outgrown it. Those speaker-top “up-firing” speakers are complete BS — I plan to wall mount those high up when I get in the mood to climb a ladder with a hammer (and buy white speaker wire). Pretty sure now I’ll need two more ceiling speakers.

The 9-channel version of my Sony is $1500 — plus I’ll have to return my Sony to Costco after a year. They won’t be happy.
I have a drop ceiling so running wire and putting up in-ceiling speakers should be relatively easy for me.

So true.

I think the supply chains must be pretty constrained right now. Last summer I picked up a Pioneer VSX-LX503 for $499 (least expensive 9.2 AVR out there) and the Denon 4400H was $699. The late 2019 upgrades of those models are now over $1000. Maybe when the AVRs with HDMI 2.1 start coming out the HDMI 2.0 AVRs will see deep discounts.

Back