Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are both in the list

When you click on the single blu ray version on the amazon.de site from the U.S., it says "This item cannot be shipped to the location you selected. Choose a different delivery location" .

This is the link on the Amazon U.S. site (the same Deutsche version of the disc), but more expensive than on the amazon.de site:
https://www.amazon.com/3-D-Katalog-Blu-ray-Kraftwerk/dp/B071DKCGTT
There's an English version of the disc, but only available used as of now and even more expensive ( this is the one that I bought in 2018 ) :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3YHJVC

BTW, the Tidal version appears to be the English version, at least on the Tidal US site.
Is it the same in other locations ?

I don't know exactly what's the difference between the Deutsche and English versions, if the audio is actually different, or it's just the packaging.

Last edited:
hey, just an FYI. Many artists own TIDAL:
Alicia Keys, Arcade Fire's Win Butler and Regine Chassagne, Beyoncé, Calvin Harris, Coldplay's Chris Martin, Daft Punk, Damian Marley, deadmau5, Indochine, J. Cole, Jack White, Jason Aldean, Shawn "JAY-Z" Carter, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna
T.I., and Usher. Before and after they bought in, the company is Norwegian. Richard Sanders is the current CEO. Sprint bought 33% a while back.

Seems very unlikely that any of these artists have any kind of say in the management of the company. Several of them had exclusive deals and released their music with TIDAL exclusively, but that ended in 2017.

In terms of atmos content, just Coldplay and Lil Wayne are involved so far, right? I don't really understand why TIDAL is involved at all, as Dolby/Amazon could do everything themselves. I suppose we can assume Dolby/Amazon wanted some of these TIDAL artists involved? Maybe later, haha.

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/203055651-Artist-Owned

When you click on the single blu ray version on the amazon.de site from the U.S., it says "This item cannot be shipped to the location you selected. Choose a different delivery location" .

This is the link on the Amazon U.S. site (the same Deutsche version of the disc), but more expensive than on the amazon.de site:
https://www.amazon.com/3-D-Katalog-Blu-ray-Kraftwerk/dp/B071DKCGTT
There's an English version of the disc, but only available used as of now and even more expensive ( this is the one that I bought in 2018 ) :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3YHJVC

BTW, the Tidal version appears to be the English version, at least on the Tidal US site.
Is it the same in other locations ?

I don't know exactly what's the difference between the Deutsche and English versions, if the audio is actually different, or it's just the packaging.
The English version is with english lyrics, the german...in german.

I was looking for the version with just one blu-ray, which I think was selling in the $20-$30 US range. I can't find that anywhere except in the marketplaces for outrageous money.
Here is one from Discogs. It's the first listing.
The seller is in Ireland. 16gbp + shipping.
If you request the cheapest shipping (Royal mail with no tracking)
The shipping is 6gbp.
22gbp + tax is about $30 usd.
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/10380552?ev=rb#

@beerking You've likely heard more than others in TIDAL. Any playlists to share? Have you found anything new or anything hidden? Top 5?
No pressure then Ian!!

I haven't made a playlist yet, as it would probably be too long....
Because there are so many existing playlists that I enjoy, already provided by Tidal.
I'm actually more into seeking out new singers/bands that would not normally get near my listening devices.

Top 5 eh....well here goes my favourites so far:

1 No shock there...Kraftwerk
2 Coldplay....Everyday Life
3 Gabby Barrett...Goldmine
4 Atmos For Androids
5 Dolby Atmos Music 90's

Theses are the ones I keep coming back to.

Not found anything new or hidden yet.
I do keep a track total listing though, just in case there is a new one sneaked in on the playlists.

I know it's not the best bitrate but I find the Atmos mix quite acceptable, where there is one!!

I'm sorry to say, that is not the case with the Jazz or Classical albums.

I've tried hip hop in Atmos...I really have
Not my thang

Probably a generational thing, never was keen on talking singers.
Although some of the tunes have great riffs and mixes.

There we are Ian.
Overall, I'm a fan and applaud this new venture.

Will others join the streaming of Atmos?

I’m listening to the Kraftwerk now. Sounds pretty good, the Atmos mix is nice. I just wish 1) that the bitrate was higher and 2) that the audio level was normal. The whole reason I went with Tidal was for the lack of bitrate compression.

The folks at Dolby need to get their act together or they’re gonna have lawsuits for blown speakers and eardrums, not to mention another failed format. There is NO REASON why these Atmos tracks have to be 15 to 20 freaking dB below other music. For sure, don’t ever forget to turn the volume back down after listening! And it’s not like they have all this great dynamic range either. There’s some audio compression going on as well as the low bitrate compression.

It’s similar to what Disney is doing with the audio on their Blu-Ray and UHD movies. Low levels (albeit not this low) and strange audio compression there as well. I wonder if that was Dolby’s idea too.

I’m listening to the Kraftwerk now. Sounds pretty good, the Atmos mix is nice. I just wish 1) that the bitrate was higher and 2) that the audio level was normal. The whole reason I went with Tidal was for the lack of bitrate compression.

The folks at Dolby need to get their act together or they’re gonna have lawsuits for blown speakers and eardrums, not to mention another failed format. There is NO REASON why these Atmos tracks have to be 15 to 20 freaking dB below other music. For sure, don’t ever forget to turn the volume back down after listening! And it’s not like they have all this great dynamic range either. There’s some audio compression going on as well as the low bitrate compression.

It’s similar to what Disney is doing with the audio on their Blu-Ray and UHD movies. Low levels (albeit not this low) and strange audio compression there as well. I wonder if that was Dolby’s idea too.
I noticed that also Pearl Jam on Apple Music has a lower volume. I would say it is a Dolby problem.

The reason I know Tidal is supplying low bitrate and compression to atmos instead of full is the same reason that when I watch old videos from the MTV era on Tidal that were broadcast in 480i on my TV years ago (and looked good) now have an even lower bitrate on Tidal and look like crap.

So, Tidal is purposely supplying low bit rate and compression on ALL things streamed on Tidal, not just atmos so for everyone defending Tidal that it's a Dolby Atmos limitation, that's BS because Tidal is just choosing to cheap out and stream absolutely everything with the lowest bitrate and compression they can get away with as long as you keep buying.

Netflix and amazon can stream in 4K so it's not a limitation of "streaming".

Don't feed that BS business model of Tidal and buy their excuse that it's a "technological limitation" and they are "doing the best they can".

Last edited:
so said the mp3 generation

for the love of God, please lets stop these streaming "entrepreneurs" from stealing from us what music could, should sound like

It's called a "slippery slope"
Well I'm 62 so my hearing is not what it was,but I'm perfectly happy whit what I get from this.If I want the best quality I can pop in one of my many hundreds SACD,DVD-A or BD-A discs.But I don't let anybody tell me how to enjoy my MC music. ;)

Well I'm 62 so my hearing is not what it was,but I'm perfectly happy whit what I get from this.If I want the best quality I can pop in one of my many hundreds SACD,DVD-A or BD-A discs.But I don't let anybody tell me how to enjoy my MC music. ;)

actually you do let someone like Jay-Z tell you because it's not offered in one of your "many hundreds SACD,DVD-A or BD-A discs" so he has cornered the market on unreleased surround but supplies it with the lowest quality and since it's "new" and "unavailable" to you you buy it up voraciously.

Crack Dealer

Last edited:
So, Tidal is purposely supplying low bit rate and compression on ALL things streamed on Tidal, not just atmos so for everyone defending Tidal that it's a Dolby Atmos limitation, that's BS because Tidal is just choosing to cheap out and stream absolutely everything with the lowest bitrate and compression they can get away with as long as you keep buying.

Don't feed that BS business model of Tidal and buy their excuse that it's a "technological limitation" and they are "doing the best they can".
Are you saying that 16/44.1 albums on Tidal, which are supposed to be CD quality, are not streamed through lossless compression? I don't think that's the case. If you pay for a CD-quality or hi-res MQA quality account, you get what you pay for (unless you are just talking about videos and surround formats). If that's not the case, it would be good to see evidence of the bitrate used for streaming CD-quality audio. I love Tidal audio quality and whenever I record a stream from Tidal doesn't look like a compressed format (through a spectrogram).

actually you do let someone like Jay-Z tell you because it's not offered in one of your "many hundreds SACD,DVD-A or BD-A discs" so he has cornered the market on unreleased surround but supplies it with the lowest quality and since it's "new" and "unavailable" to you you buy it up voraciously.

Crack Dealer
Did you get out of the bed with your wrong foot first today?:cool:Jay-Z ain't telling me shit,it's you that's trying to tell me I'm wrong in enjoying my music this way.For me it's convenient to listen to MC music this way when I go down to my music room for reading my daily paper,a magazine or a book.For more serious listening I'll pop in a disc.The price for this is OK,and I can cancel when I will.I will keep it for a couple more months and if they don't supply a lot more content I will cancel.

Back