Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for Sergio Vallin - Microsinfonias. He's the guitarist of a famous mexican band called Mana. He just released his instrumental album in Dolby Atmos and it's amazing. Featuring other artists such as Steve Vai and Santana and mixed by Mikel F. Krutzaga.

For people outside of Mexico who aren't familiar with Mana (or with Rock en Espanol), one place to start would be the new Netflix documentary series Break It All:
https://www.netflix.com/title/81006953

Last edited:
Look for Sergio Vallin - Microsinfonias. He's the guitarist of a famous mexican band called Mana. He just released his instrumental album in Dolby Atmos and it's amazing. Featuring other artists such as Steve Vai and Santana and mixed by Mikel F. Krutzaga.

I have Mana's 5.1 DVD -- it's very good!

Nice record and mix, thanks for the heads up. And very dynamic it is, I almost had a heart attack with the sudden orchestra crescendo in track 1!

I’ve gotten to hear some of the Tidal offerings in 5.1, and even without the Atmos effect, there are some *nice* mixes in there.

Am I correct, though, in that no additional classic-era songs (60s through 90s) have been added since the launch eight months ago, except for the Gimme Some Truth album (which was an album unto itself, as opposed to mixes specifically created for the Tidal Atmos project)?

If so, I’m wondering if there are any more “classic” songs in the pipeline, or if they’ve quietly dropped that part of the equation?

I’ve gotten to hear some of the Tidal offerings in 5.1, and even without the Atmos effect, there are some *nice* mixes in there.

Am I correct, though, in that no additional classic-era songs (60s through 90s) have been added since the launch eight months ago, except for the Gimme Some Truth album (which was an album unto itself, as opposed to mixes specifically created for the Tidal Atmos project)?

If so, I’m wondering if there are any more “classic” songs in the pipeline, or if they’ve quietly dropped that part of the equation?
Spot on observation. They have only added "new" releases or recent mixes.

My Tidal renewal date was coming up in a few days, and I decided that after 8 months of frustration and underwhelmedness, I'd rather spend that 20 bucks per month on physical discs or hi-res downloads. I can see Baggy's point about the value of having a source of hi-res music to listen to at work, but I'm lucky enough to work at home these days. Tidal is also convenient for auditioning an album I might be interested in buying--but my kid already has the ee-vil Spotify, and there are other places on the internet where I can check out a new release, too.

Beyond that: the relative dearth of Atmos content that I'm genuinely excited about (contemporary dance and R&B are generally not my thing), the lack of progress--or even interest--on Tidal's part in solving issues with low streaming rates, unwanted autoplay, and (especially) disparate volume levels, and the generally abysmal customer service...well, it's all too much. Most of the Atmos albums I've heard on Tidal, I've got or can get in physical form. And those Tidal exclusives, like Fantastic Negrito? Maybe those labels will eventually see the light, too.

Still planning to check in on this thread (and others) to see what the rest of youse are finding to listen to, though...

Last edited:
Once again, I agree with @humprof completely. My subscription is also coming up and I'll cancel until the Petty or Harrison albums are streaming in atmos. They have shown time and time again that they have no idea what they're doing, and they don't care.
I will also be canceling my Amazon account when it comes up this year. I really don't want their dumb spy devices to be the future of all music listening.
On a positive note, I liked that Rhye album and want to hear more. Halsey, Post Malone, Billie Eilish, Booka, Kraftwerk, Huey Lewis, and REM I enjoyed.
I think we should start a QQ streaming service that plays plays atmos, 5.1, and quad in flac. We just need some $ to pay for licensing! :SB

I've already cancelled, but I got a free month trail by using another e mail to register.When that's over I will cancel for now.Also liked the Rhye album and I love Riders on the Storm,my most played song in Atmos. :cool:
I signed up for the 60 days trial, paid full price for a month and then canceled when my wife signed up for a free trial. She cancelled when Tidal offered me for the $4 for 4 months. I can't see paying full-price for this service just for the Atmos content. With Disney+, Netflix, Tidal, Amazon Prime, etc how many subscription content services can one family reasonably be expected to carry?

I have tried today play tidal atmos playlist through my Amazon 4k Tv stick and doesn’t work. Always It has worked fine

Check to make sure your audio setting didn't get bumped down to "Hi Fi" (from "Master"). If that doesn't work, try uninstalling Tidal from your Firestick and then reinstalling it. Your settings and libraries will still be there.

Amazon Fire TV 4K Tidal App needs to see an Atmos capable system via its HDMI.

When it happens that he don't see it, for whatever reason, a new HDMI handshake and/or Tidal App handshake has to be launched.

This may be done by rebooting, better disconnecting the Fire TV. Reinstalling the app also works.

Back