Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As they say in programming, "feature, not a bug." DialNorm, like its open-source equivalent ReplayGain, is a really useful tool - think of it as volume control adjustment metadata embedded in a file. When it works properly it's great, because it means you don't have to ride your volume control when you're playing various things as they all play at roughly the same volume (or at least within the ballpark where it doesn't unexpectedly damage your speakers or scare you into soiling your shorts) but as detailed in that thread, it seems like the Tidal DialNorm has an extra -10dB on top of what is really necessary. I think even the most compressed (loudest) stereo music I have is maybe DR6, and even on that the volume reduction is "only" 8 or 9db at most, so 14 to 20dB is going way too far in the opposite direction.

As they say in programming, "feature, not a bug." DialNorm, like its open-source equivalent ReplayGain, is a really useful tool - think of it as volume control adjustment metadata embedded in a file. When it works properly it's great, because it means you don't have to ride your volume control when you're playing various things as they all play at roughly the same volume (or at least within the ballpark where it doesn't unexpectedly damage your speakers or scare you into soiling your shorts) but as detailed in that thread, it seems like the Tidal DialNorm has an extra -10dB on top of what is really necessary. I think even the most compressed (loudest) stereo music I have is maybe DR6, and even on that the volume reduction is "only" 8 or 9db at most, so 14 to 20dB is going way too far in the opposite direction.
I really don't understand who messed up here -- it doesn't take an engineer to realize and catch this issue -- it's just so obvious.
When we raised the issue to Tidal - they said "It's a Dolby issue".

Hopefully this issue will finally be fixed this month....
... by Apple.

Always interested in "What's up there", and does it seem tastefully done and appropriate for the music, or just gimmicky?
Matt Darey's Wolf was my first introduction to good Atmos mixed music when he released it free at the begining for promotion.
Then I bought the full Wolf Atmos album and two more Atmos albums from him: "Retrospective" and a very long kind of continuous suite called "Producer-DJ-Mix-DolbyAtmos" of 2:40:00 duration (Two hours forty miunutes). Not sure whether they are available now on Tidal or somewhere else.

It really fascinated me, compared with the REM Automatic for the people, that was the only Atmos album I had at that time.

It is very well done, with enough sonic buble over your head as main voice use to come from above instead of the tradicional frontal stage.
It has good and tastefully discrete moving sounds. Perhaps not as gimmicky as the Yello-Point reference, but very well done apropriate for the music.

It is one of my Atmos reference.

Edited: In his web page there is a mention to a future "2021 Retrospective Atmos album". It looks his page is still alive for download, although he said recently about the shutting down of his music store for download and only streaming (Tidal)

Last edited:
Tidal on my Firestick seems to no longer group all the music by Atmos titles and playlists. I can do a search for “Dolby Atmos” but I don’t get them all.

anyone else have this issue? Or know what I’m doing wrong and how I can pull up the list again?

Tidal on my Firestick seems to no longer group all the music by Atmos titles and playlists. I can do a search for “Dolby Atmos” but I don’t get them all.

anyone else have this issue? Or know what I’m doing wrong and how I can pull up the list again?
Before there was a list that said available in Atmos,but that is gone now.Don't like the new look. :cautious:

Matt Darey's Wolf was my first introduction to good Atmos mixed music when he released it free at the begining for promotion.
Then I bought the full Wolf Atmos album and two more Atmos albums from him: "Retrospective" and a very long kind of continuous suite called "Producer-DJ-Mix-DolbyAtmos" of 2:40:00 duration (Two hours forty miunutes). Not sure whether they are available now on Tidal or somewhere else.

It really fascinated me, compared with the REM Automatic for the people, that was the only Atmos album I had at that time.

It is very well done, with enough sonic buble over your head as main voice use to come from above instead of the tradicional frontal stage.
It has good and tastefully discrete moving sounds. Perhaps not as gimmicky as the Yello-Point reference, but very well done apropriate for the music.

It is one of my Atmos reference.

Edited: In his web page there is a mention to a future "2021 Retrospective Atmos album". It looks his page is still alive for download, although he said recently about the shutting down of his music store for download and only streaming (Tidal)

Hi
what was the DJ set like?

Do you find the Darey Atmos mixes super loud? I have Wolf and Restrospective myself.

Hi
what was the DJ set like?

Do you find the Darey Atmos mixes super loud? I have Wolf and Restrospective myself.

The DJ set is a continous session in Atmos with some songs from Wolf and others. Different songs versions chained continuosly and extended versions with more repetitive sections. Good.

Super loud? Not really. I find them properly level mixed. Good bass not too boomy. With good enough balanced content from above. Playing mkv files. From Tidal, Wolf, Fire TV stick, as usual with the -18dB or so lower.

Before there was a list that said available in Atmos,but that is gone now.Don't like the new look. :cautious:
I have had this problem coming and going when i play Tidal thru my 4Kstick.
The menu i want has come back after a while so it is not gone. I know this for a fact as suddenly i managed to use the app on my LG TV instead and get the Dolby Atmos audio to work. The manu with available in Atmos is still there

I guess Tidal has become the redheaded step child now that the golden boy Apple Music is in the family but just noticed there are a few problem links in the 'Available in Dolby Atmos' list. These generate a message 'Failed to connect to server. Check your internet connection or go to offline mode'.

Other album links in the list play fine so the problem appears to be server side.

I submitted a report.

Kacey Musgraves "Same Trailer Different Park" and "Pageant Material"

Migos "Culture III"

Tidal 'master' quality is a smoke & mirrors trick, and it is a long way from genuine lossless quality.
All their 'master MQA' stuff has been either upsampled (and I can prove this for certain - I have albums from Tidal at 24/48 that simply only exist anywhere else at 16/44.1) and/or heavily post produced with the MQA algorithm.
I strongly advise everyone to check out the following 2 presentations:

and then the follow-up:

Tidal 'master' quality is a smoke & mirrors trick, and it is a long way from genuine lossless quality.
All their 'master MQA' stuff has been either upsampled (and I can prove this for certain - I have albums from Tidal at 24/48 that simply only exist anywhere else at 16/44.1) and/or heavily post produced with the MQA algorithm.

and then the follow-up:

Wrong Thread? That has absolutely nothing to do with Atmos.

and then the follow-up:

Yep, I have zero interest or use for the MQA stuff on Tidal, only the Atmos stuff, which is the subject of this thread :)

Back