Tidal Atmos Playback Issue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I bought an Apple TV. Still no luck with Tidal which I understand from what other members have explained. But, I signed up for a Trial subscription to Apple Music and my results are the same i.e. I only get stereo. Still can't listen in 5.1. :( 🥃🥃
Ohh MM, what version Apple TV did you get, and how is it set/hooked up? Hopefully lots of great folks here can help you with figuring this out.

Apple Music on Apple TV otherwise you need an Atmos receiver, even with "only" 5.1 setup.

Edit... sorry. When I posted that, I thought you were using Tidal on Apple TV. If you are using Apple Music, I can't understand why it didn't work. I don't think I made any changes in the settings on the Apple TV. I just plugged it into my Oppo, and it showed 7.1 on the display using the info button. Do you have any issues with other sources with other HDMI inputs on your receiver?
No problems with an Oppo or Sony Blu Ray player.

No problems with an Oppo or Sony Blu Ray player.
Which Oppo Blu-ray player? My Apple TV is plugged into the HDMI Input of my Oppo. No issues. Are you still only getting stereo? Are you sure the albums are indeed the Atmos versions?

Which Oppo Blu-ray player? My Apple TV is plugged into the HDMI Input of my Oppo. No issues. Are you still only getting stereo? Are you sure the albums are indeed the Atmos versions?
Not a good start to 2023. I decided to go for broke and buy a new Denon X3800H. My Pioneer receiver is 10 years old so I feel I got my money's worth. So I swam down to my local Best Buy and bought the Denon. After getting everything wired up, I was ready to set up my new receiver. Turned it on and no picture on my LG Oled. I hooked up my Oppo to the HDMI cable and there was a picture. Switched the HDMI back to the Denon receiver. Nothing.
I took the Denon back to Best Buy and got my money back. I'm back to square 1. 🥃 🥃 🥃

Not a good start to 2023. I decided to go for broke and buy a new Denon X3800H. My Pioneer receiver is 10 years old so I feel I got my money's worth. So I swam down to my local Best Buy and bought the Denon. After getting everything wired up, I was ready to set up my new receiver. Turned it on and no picture on my LG Oled. I hooked up my Oppo to the HDMI cable and there was a picture. Switched the HDMI back to the Denon receiver. Nothing.
I took the Denon back to Best Buy and got my money back. I'm back to square 1. 🥃 🥃 🥃
Bought a Denon X2800. Everything is working fine. :) Hope to try Dolby Atmos via Tidal real soon. 🥃🥃 But not tonight.

So, I bought an Apple TV. Still no luck with Tidal which I understand from what other members have explained. But, I signed up for a Trial subscription to Apple Music and my results are the same i.e. I only get stereo. Still can't listen in 5.1. :( 🥃🥃
i believe the Apple TV has a setting in the settings that enables the auto detection and playback of ATMOS content.

i believe the Apple TV has a setting in the settings that enables the auto detection and playback of ATMOS content.
All is well. With my new receiver, I'm using an Amazon Fire Stick to play from Tidal and I am now listening to Dolby Atmos mixed songs in 5.1.
Thank you all who took the time to guide me through this process. I did end up buying a new receiver, but my previous was 10 years old, so it was time to get a new one anyway.
Stay surrounded and thanks again. 🥃 🥃 :)

Try this, go to Settings > Audio & Video. Try a couple things 1. Toggling Dolby Atmos to "off" and/or change format to "on".

EDIT: for kicks, I just tried turning Atmos to "off" and it sends as normal 5.1, so hopefully that works for you.

Anyone know why the Apple Music app on my IPAD correctly labels recordings that are Quad or 5.1 as “ Dolby Audio” , but on Apple TV version, it shows these recordings as just Lossless? No label for “ Dolby Audio”?

I believe it's a 2nd generation a
All is well. With my new receiver, I'm using an Amazon Fire Stick to play from Tidal and I am now listening to Dolby Atmos mixed songs in 5.1.
Thank you all who took the time to guide me through this process. I did end up buying a new receiver, but my previous was 10 years old, so it was time to get a new one anyway.
Stay surrounded and thanks again. 🥃 🥃 :)
Hi! I have the same problem that you had. Tidal Atmos, through a Denon x6500 is impossible.
So, can you confirm that with the Tidal app on an Amazon Fire Stick connected to any hdmi AV input, it works?
I imagine it must be the 4k model, right?

I don't have an Atmos receiver only 7.1. My receiver also only passes through 1080P not 4K so I could not directly attach the Apple TV to my receiver if I wanted to maintain 4K video. So in order to retain the 4K to my 4K TV I bought one of these (see link) to use with the Apple TV 4K box. The Atmos is detected by the Avedio and there is a 7.1 switch on it to pass 7.1 audio to my receiver. There is a 4K HDMI video output from the avedio as well as an audio HDMI output. So the audio output delivers maximum 7.1 to my receiver and the video output delivers 4K video to my TV. My receiver is showing 7.1 whenever Atmos is played from any app installed on the Apple TV 4K. However for the little time that I had Tidal installed on my Apple TV I believe it was still showing stereo for Atmos. I dumped it when the free period expired. Apple Music works great. Along with Netflix etc.
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI2-0b-Ext...0&sprefix=avedio+links+4k+60hz,aps,120&sr=8-8

Last edited:
Shame they don’t have an option for those without an Apple TV device.

Amazon Music allows me to cast Atmos to my Shield from my iPhone (an Apple device!)

Tidal’s app on the Shield works for Atmos playback. For Apple I have no solution but to buy additional Apple hardware. There should be an easier solution for iPhone owners.

Back