Tidal Atmos Playback Issue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolandop

Got it. I figured I would be the last person to go with streaming but a friend of my sons helped me with some home networking stuff. When he was here and saw my surround setup he challenged me to try Apple Music and an Apple TV for ATMOS.

He made it easy by buying me an APPLE TV saying he’d be back in 30 days at which point I could either give him the Apple TV back, or pay him for it. I love it. Did I throw out my physical media? No. Do I listen to it very often? Only once in a while. Have I been able to listen to huge amounts of new to me surround music. Absolutely!
Hi, first time posting here. I have an Apple TV connected through HDMI to my 5.1 Denon receiver, mainly to stream movies and series.
I also have a Tidal account that I use in my phone to stream in the car and through headphones.
I found out that a new Grateful Dead American Beauty ATMOS mix done by Steven Wilson was available, so I installed the Tidal app on the Apple TV, and tried to stream the ATMOS mix, but it only plays in stereo. Is there anything I miss? Some additional configuration to be done so it can decode the surround mix? All movies from Netflix available on dolby digital or ATMOS plays accordingly without any problem. Thanks.

Hi, first time posting here. I have an Apple TV connected through HDMI to my 5.1 Denon receiver, mainly to stream movies and series.
I also have a Tidal account that I use in my phone to stream in the car and through headphones.
I found out that a new Grateful Dead American Beauty ATMOS mix done by Steven Wilson was available, so I installed the Tidal app on the Apple TV, and tried to stream the ATMOS mix, but it only plays in stereo. Is there anything I miss? Some additional configuration to be done so it can decode the surround mix? All movies from Netflix available on dolby digital or ATMOS plays accordingly without any problem. Thanks.
Is your receiver Atmos capable? Unfortunately, Tidal will not send multichannel audio to an older 5.1 or 7.1 receiver.

I would check the settings for the Tidal app on your Apple TV. I use Apple Music and I have to adjust the settings for the Apple Music app on the Apple TV and set it to Dolby ATMOS ON or automatic. My guess you need to do same with Tidal? Your Denon should then play back the ATMOS content in 5.1 on your Denon or ATMOS if the DENON is ATMOS capable.

Is your receiver Atmos capable? Unfortunately, Tidal will not send multichannel audio to an older 5.1 or 7.1 receiver.
I didn’t know that? It was my understanding that when ATMOS content is sent to a surround capable AVR the ATMOS height information is “ down mixed” to 5.1 or 7.1 surround speakers. I could be wrong

Tidal uses a HDMI handshake to detect an Atmos processor. Apple Music does not.

I didn’t know that? It was my understanding that when ATMOS content is sent to a surround capable AVR the ATMOS height information is “ down mixed” to 5.1 or 7.1 surround speakers. I could be wrong
This would be true for playing a disc with ATMOS content. In that case, The Dolby TrueHD layer would just be downmixed. Streaming ATMOS is a different beast, and Tidal will not even show you ATMOS content if you do not have an ATMOS capable receiver. Moreover, if you do have an ATMOS receiver but don't have height speakers plugged in, you will not get any surround either.

GRRR. I am so frustrated. I need help. I bought an Apple TV device to stream TIDAL Atmos tracks. My receiver is only 5.1. I can only get stereo. If I play an Atmos track, A message comes up on my screen saying "Playing in stereo. This device doesn't support Dolby Atmos content." In Audio Settings I have changed Audio Format to Dolby Digital 5.1. In the APPS settings I see no option for Dolby Atmos OFF.
Is there anything I'm doing wrong. Do I need an earlier generation of Apple TV?
Any help would be most appreciated. And by the way, Happy New Year. :cautious:

GRRR. I am so frustrated. I need help. I bought an Apple TV device to stream TIDAL Atmos tracks. My receiver is only 5.1. I can only get stereo. If I play an Atmos track, A message comes up on my screen saying "Playing in stereo. This device doesn't support Dolby Atmos content." In Audio Settings I have changed Audio Format to Dolby Digital 5.1. In the APPS settings I see no option for Dolby Atmos OFF.
Apple TV is plugged into the receiver and not the TV? Your post is the first I have seen with this issue.

Edit...I missed the part about using Tidal. Only Apple Music will work with non-Atmos receivers.

Last edited:
Tidal seems to be pretty fussy for ATMOS playback. While you would think you would be able to play the Atmos content in 5.1 with a non-Atmos receiver, I hear that for Tidal it will not. See also:
----------------------
How does Dolby Atmos Music on TIDAL work for devices that are not Dolby Atmos enabled?

When a device and/or connected playback system is not Dolby Atmos enabled, the TIDAL app will recognize this and the stereo version of the track will be played. The user will be notified with an in-app notification.
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004255778-Dolby-Atmos-Music
----------------------

Also, make sure your Tidal plan is TIDAL HiFi Plus (no Atmos with the other plans).

EDIT: Also see earlier posts above (i.e., #2, 5 & 6).

Last edited:
Tidal seems to be pretty fussy for ATMOS playback. While you would think you would be able to play the Atmos content in 5.1 with a non-Atmos receiver, I hear that for Tidal it will not. See also:
----------------------
How does Dolby Atmos Music on TIDAL work for devices that are not Dolby Atmos enabled?

When a device and/or connected playback system is not Dolby Atmos enabled, the TIDAL app will recognize this and the stereo version of the track will be played. The user will be notified with an in-app notification.
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004255778-Dolby-Atmos-Music
----------------------

Also, make sure your Tidal plan is TIDAL HiFi Plus (no Atmos with the other plans).

EDIT: Also see earlier posts above (i.e., #2, 5 & 6).
So, it sounds like I may have to switch to Apple Music for this all to work out. Too bad because I really like Tidal. Thanks to everyone who gave me guidance. And now 🥃 🥃

Hey Mr. Mesozoic (I'm typing from a computer named Pangaea :) ), after you make the switch from Tidal, if you happen to post what you like/don't like about the change I would definitely be interested. (I have not been impressed by Tidal on a firestick - missing features compared to normal Tidal app, etc...)

I have had Tidal for years. I have noticed that when playing Tidal at my PC at work and Apple and Amazon music they only play with the stereo icons, whereas at home on the big rig, they play to the highest available.
I think there is a little person inside reading what we have and outputs to what we have.
I don't think the music company's Apple and Tidal play 5.1, if your receiver does, nope that is wrong there are people who play Atmos signals that do not have Atmos.
To further explore my question.
Do people on QQ have Atmos capable receivers, but have not hooked up speakers beyond 5.1, so they get the MCH signal downmix?
Does anyone get a MCH signal in a MCH non Atmos receiver?
For the record, I have the latest Apple 4K box HDMI connected to my Atmos available receiver, HDMI EArc connected to my 4K TV.

I have had Tidal for years. I have noticed that when playing Tidal at my PC at work and Apple and Amazon music they only play with the stereo icons, whereas at home on the big rig, they play to the highest available.
I think there is a little person inside reading what we have and outputs to what we have.
I don't think the music company's Apple and Tidal play 5.1, if your receiver does, nope that is wrong there are people who play Atmos signals that do not have Atmos.
To further explore my question.
Do people on QQ have Atmos capable receivers, but have not hooked up speakers beyond 5.1, so they get the MCH signal downmix?
Does anyone get a MCH signal in a MCH non Atmos receiver?
For the record, I have the latest Apple 4K box HDMI connected to my Atmos available receiver, HDMI EArc connected to my 4K TV.
You don't need an Atmos receiver for Apple Music, but you do for Tidal.

You don't need an Atmos receiver for Apple Music, but you do for Tidal.
OK, good to know, thank you. Still learning. I did purchase a Audioquest Dragonfly to hear MQA through Tidal with my iPhone and it works really well.
Problem is I just can't get into listening to earbuds or headphones. I only like listening to music at home or the car.

Hey Mr. Mesozoic (I'm typing from a computer named Pangaea :) ), after you make the switch from Tidal, if you happen to post what you like/don't like about the change I would definitely be interested. (I have not been impressed by Tidal on a firestick - missing features compared to normal Tidal app, etc...)
Been busy with family holiday stuff but I'm going to try Apple Music. We shall see how it compares to Tidal.

Been busy with family holiday stuff but I'm going to try Apple Music. We shall see how it compares to Tidal.
So, I bought an Apple TV. Still no luck with Tidal which I understand from what other members have explained. But, I signed up for a Trial subscription to Apple Music and my results are the same i.e. I only get stereo. Still can't listen in 5.1. :( 🥃🥃

So, I bought an Apple TV. Still no luck with Tidal which I understand from what other members have explained. But, I signed up for a Trial subscription to Apple Music and my results are the same i.e. I only get stereo. Still can't listen in 5.1. :( 🥃🥃
Apple Music on Apple TV otherwise you need an Atmos receiver, even with "only" 5.1 setup.

Edit... sorry. When I posted that, I thought you were using Tidal on Apple TV. If you are using Apple Music, I can't understand why it didn't work. I don't think I made any changes in the settings on the Apple TV. I just plugged it into my Oppo, and it showed 7.1 on the display using the info button. Do you have any issues with other sources with other HDMI inputs on your receiver?

Last edited:
Back