• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

TIDAL unveils Sony 360 Reality Audio

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

humprof

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
>Sigh<. Jeez, Tony: you're someone who's actually done true surround mixes. Did Sony pay you a shit-ton of money to flog this, or are your ears shot, or did you just drink the Kool-Aid? At least Atmos exists in both faux and vrai versions, even if Dolby's marketers are doing their level best to confuse the issue. But Sony 360 is all smoke and mirrors, as far as I can tell. The masses can have their 360 Reality Audio mix if they want it. But why in the world would Sony imagine the masses would care? For those of us who really do care about surround sound: give us a genuine immersive mix designed for "seven speakers in your front room." We'll eat it up!
I had somehow missed an entire thread devoted (more or less) to Visconti's remix of Space Oddity when I wrote the dyspeptic words above. (I only discovered it after I saw the album on sale at HD Tracks and began Googling.) Anyway, sorry for inadvertently repeating what others had already said.

Sounds like the title track is the only one he remixed for 360 Reality Audio. So has anyone who ponied up for Amazon Music HD actually heard it on an Echo Studio speaker (or over headphones with Deezer or Tidal)?

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
When I had Tidal I checked out the 360 audio. It’s just sounded like mud. I have decent headphones and tried it with everything from AirPods to Bowers & Wilkins to Sony. It was a waste.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Sounding fine, neither hollow nor muddy, on my earbuds and my 2.1 system here at work.
Desktop app via Win 10.
Surround effect (over earbuds)? Zilch.

QUIX4U

Banned
According to this article, you need the app, so it'd be nice to hear from someone who has listened through the app, on a decent set of cans.
Or - if one doesn't dabble in digital . analogue is way easier and better to listen to anything really - in full form all frequencies - multiple channel surround sound..

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Here's my take on what they are doing with this 360 Reality Audio.

I have listened to most of the tracks on Tidal..
It seems to me that they are isolating the main voice/music in the centre/front speakers and using double stereo to emphasise the rest of the music/voice in the surrounds. In doing so they reduce the volume slightly to give more emphasis to the fronts.

There is not an element of separation going on.

Think we need an industry insider to explain what technique they are using, to achieve this dummy surround .
Or maybe that's the intention, to create Reality in all but name. and produce it as cheaply as possible.

The sound is perfectly clear, through my speaker set up.

In fact I've just checked out a few tracks on my Audio Technica ATH M50X phones.
Very nice stereo separation and clarity.

Last edited:

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
FWIW, yesterday I listened to some Tidal S360 and ATMOS tracks, both via headphones (Sennheiser HD Pro 380's, IIRC) using my Android phone.

I compared some S360 tracks to their normal stereo counterparts. I liked the normal stereo better.

I then tried some Atmos, since the app was suggesting it... I liked it much better than the S360! Not as dramatically surroundy as my HTS, of course,
but immersive, yes! And I was given the sense that plenty of the songs were out in front of me, rather than completely coming from the sides.
I didn't get that from S360. I liked the Atmos well enough that I didn't feel the need to switch over to stereo. The Atmos tracks through headphones felt right.

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
FWIW, yesterday I listened to some Tidal S360 and ATMOS tracks, both via headphones (Sennheiser HD Pro 380's, IIRC) using my Android phone.

I compared some S360 tracks to their normal stereo counterparts. I liked the normal stereo better.

I then tried some Atmos, since the app was suggesting it... I liked it much better than the S360! Not as dramatically surroundy as my HTS, of course,
but immersive, yes! And I was given the sense that plenty of the songs were out in front of me, rather than completely coming from the sides.
I didn't get that from S360. I liked the Atmos well enough that I didn't feel the need to switch over to stereo. The Atmos tracks through headphones felt right.
I've just played a few Atmos tracks through my phones Mike.....especially the ones that are really good mixes and it's like night and day, the difference between 360 and Atmos.

QUIX4U

Banned
Here's my take on what they are doing with this 360 Reality Audio.

I have listened to most of the tracks on Tidal..
It seems to me that they are isolating the main voice/music in the centre/front speakers and using double stereo to emphasise the rest of the music/voice in the surrounds. In doing so they reduce the volume slightly to give more emphasis to the fronts.

There is not an element of separation going on.

Think we need an industry insider to explain what technique they are using, to achieve this dummy surround .
Or maybe that's the intention, to create Reality in all but name. and produce it as cheaply as possible.

The sound is perfectly clear, through my speaker set up.

In fact I've just checked out a few tracks on my Audio Technica ATH M50X phones.
Very nice stereo separation and clarity.

As cheaply as possible - hah I like that one - I only charge for speakers and wiring - oh and cable ties / clips and a few other bits & bobs, plus labour - at a mere fraction of what I should charge - wounded bulls I call other commercial operators.. as they charge as if the world's economy rested entirely on their shoulders to uphold . cheaply - no one seems to know the real meaning of that word..

- ps.
I just read the simplistic approach - of the system called:
360 reality audio
Google results state:

What is 360 reality audio?
The app is downloadable on iOS and Android.
It works by taking a photograph of your ear on your smartphone
(tip: get someone to help you so you get the position of your ear in the photo just right) and working out from that exactly how you hear.

It then optimises the playback for your personal hearing.Feb 21, 2020

[\QUOTE]

Say what ?
Just photograph the ear - from the outside - so that the app - can USE THAT to produce a sound (that) it thinks YOU can hear - completely devoid of course, by the FACT that anyone's AUDIBLE hearing IS NOT RELIANT only upon the physical look - of your outer ear - as DEAFNESS and hearing abnormalities take scant regards for - the shape - size or colour - of your ear?

What a load of codswallop ?
Sony advertising madness at it's best - talking B/S from the get go..
As I neither have a smart phone (?)
And if I ever did get one the tiny speakers in it or the earbuds they toss up at you as if they were way better than a home audio system's ones -
I also don't believe in the tripe that a photograph of one's ear canal - can DECIDE FOR YOU, what your ability to hear at various levels, or to discern noises from background sounds nearby - as well as old age hiss from severe tinnitus?

Take a picture - as that lets Sony get away with a few thousand less advertising words..

Oh and I don't believe in the hype either.
As - neither app - for either smart (dumb user) telephones - will ever be able to play with music - that I still use on vinyl & compact cassette tape, or on Youtube Videos or anywhere else that I get sound from?

Sorry - I may be old but I ain't daft.

Last edited:

Audiowannabee

800 Club - QQ All-Star
As cheaply as possible - hah I like that one - I only charge for speakers and wiring - oh and cable ties / clips and a few other bits & bobs, plus labour - at a mere fraction of what I should charge - wounded bulls I call other commercial operators.. as they charge as if the world's economy rested entirely on their shoulders to uphold . cheaply - no one seems to know the real meaning of that word..

- ps.
I just read the simplistic approach - of the system called:
360 reality audio
Google results state:

As I neither have a smart phone (?)
And if I ever did get one the tiny speakers in it or the earbuds they toss up at you as if they were way better than a home audio system's ones -
I also don't believe in the tripe that a photograph of one's ear canal - can DECIDE FOR YOU, what your ability to hear at various levels, or to discern noises from background sounds nearby - as well as old age hiss from severe tinnitus?

Take a picture - as that lets Sony get away with a few thousand less advertising words..

Oh and I don't believe in the hype either.
As - neither app - for either smart (dumb user) telephones - will ever be able to play with music - that I still use on vinyl & compact cassette tape, or on Youtube Videos or anywhere else that I get sound from?

Sorry - I may be old but I ain't daft.

Welcome to the forum