HiRez Poll Tipper - SURROUNDED [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Tipper - SURROUNDED

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
If you like chill electronica with a touch of glitch, this may be up your alley. Excellent sound and imaginative surround mix. I've played this one many times and still bring it out for a spin from time to time.

This one just found its way into my collection. I see it's only got 9 votes so far so I'll chime in to push it over the top.

The mix is a 10. Very active and discrete. However, while I do enjoy some electronica and trip hop, I have to say that musically speaking I was underwhelmed by this. There really wan't anything musically that I could latch onto. It certainly is a great demo disc if you're trying to turn someone who's into electronica on to 5.1 mixes. The album is available on iTunes so you can check out sound samples before committing to it. If you like the samples, then you're sure to love the 5.1 mix.

I am going with an 8.

Guys!! I just discovered this and what a great surprise! A straight 10 for mix (it's off the hook!!), sound quality (24/96), style and INNOVATION. What an original album! I love it. I wish there was more music like this. A real treat.

Is anybody aware of anything similar in 5.1 Electronica? I tried Legion of Boom, Amon Tobin's Splinter Cell ("Chaos Theory") 5.1 soundtrack, and Richie Hawtin's DE9 | Transitions. None really got me (perhaps I should give them another try). BT's "Monster" works great though.[/QUOTE

Reflections SACD by Paul van Dyk Solid trance, electronic dance music in 5.1 "Nothing But You" is phenominal. She sings one line over and over in Norwegian it translates to: I have nothing but when I have you I have everything.

:smoking Here is a taste https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9u2DtCJde8

Last edited:
Agreed with PVD reflections sacd and crystal method dvd-a, blue man group is quite good too. One thing I noticed is that the last track isn't available in MLP, but DVD-A Extractor is only showing the MLP track.. so only 11 tracks. Strange.. gonna try some different software to see if I can get that last track.

Agreed with PVD reflections sacd and crystal method dvd-a, blue man group is quite good too. One thing I noticed is that the last track isn't available in MLP, but DVD-A Extractor is only showing the MLP track.. so only 11 tracks. Strange.. gonna try some different software to see if I can get that last track.

Yeah, it's only on the video layer in Dolby Digital. Lovely little track and the sound quality is excellent despite DD. You can extract it with dvdae, for instance (www.dvdae.com).

Oh, and yes, I've come to appreciate (and snag) the Paul van Dyk and Crystal Method disks! PvD was crazy expensive but worth it. Blue Man Group... Perhaps I should give that one another chance, too.

I think it should be renamed Tripper
I reckon the guys at Myutopia Recordings were taking some of what cows eat, to get the mix like this, it is a sure fire 10 for the mix.
I just feel it's slightly let down by the content, so overall its a 9
Don't get me wrong, I like Downtempo and ambient music, this just lacks a bit of grab you by the you know what's!!

This album is a frustrating one for me.

On one hand, the mix is absolutely phenomenal, and there's no doubt about that in my mind. It was made for surround sound and it shows. On the other, the music really, really, doesn't age well. Most of the tracks on here sound like the most watered down ripoffs of much better and more established 90's electronic artists. There are some okay to good moments on this disc music wise though, California Roles is tolerable and The Glasshouse is probably the best moment on the entire disc, but is still really only alright. The worst tracks on here like Rotundus Maximus are genuinely embarrassing to listen to. It sounds like it's trying to sound epic or something but completely fails at it. You can do a track like that where it's really cinematic and epic, but you have to have genuinely good music to back it up. Or else it'll sound like it does here, which is just as some extremely cheesy 90's IDM/Downtempo trying way too hard to be cinematic.

The main issue with the music here for me is that it just sounds so dated and so watered down. All of the little "experimental" sounds that go on here sounds just like a track off of some early 2000's/late 90's Autechre or like something off Jon Hopkins's immunity except not nearly as good. There is far, far better electronic music out there with the same vibe as this, unfortunately, not in 5.1.

That's really the only thing that brings me back to this. For it's decent moment's like California Roles and The Glasshouse, I find myself enjoying the 5.1 mix, but that can only do so much for the rest of the music here.

6/10 (4/10 for the music 8/10 for the mix)

[I didn't write this to hate on anything, just putting my thoughts out there]

Actually, wanted to correct myself that there are better electronic music that is also mixed in 5.1, but it still sets surrounded apart. I'm actually planning on making a giant list of all of the notable electronic/ambient records in 5.1, been doing a ton of virtual crate digging lately.

This album is a frustrating one for me.

On one hand, the mix is absolutely phenomenal, and there's no doubt about that in my mind. It was made for surround sound and it shows. On the other, the music really, really, doesn't age well. Most of the tracks on here sound like the most watered down ripoffs of much better and more established 90's electronic artists. There are some okay to good moments on this disc music wise though, California Roles is tolerable and The Glasshouse is probably the best moment on the entire disc, but is still really only alright. The worst tracks on here like Rotundus Maximus are genuinely embarrassing to listen to. It sounds like it's trying to sound epic or something but completely fails at it. You can do a track like that where it's really cinematic and epic, but you have to have genuinely good music to back it up. Or else it'll sound like it does here, which is just as some extremely cheesy 90's IDM/Downtempo trying way too hard to be cinematic.

The main issue with the music here for me is that it just sounds so dated and so watered down. All of the little "experimental" sounds that go on here sounds just like a track off of some early 2000's/late 90's Autechre or like something off Jon Hopkins's immunity except not nearly as good. There is far, far better electronic music out there with the same vibe as this, unfortunately, not in 5.1.

That's really the only thing that brings me back to this. For it's decent moment's like California Roles and The Glasshouse, I find myself enjoying the 5.1 mix, but that can only do so much for the rest of the music here.

6/10 (4/10 for the music 8/10 for the mix)

[I didn't write this to hate on anything, just putting my thoughts out there]

I don't see your vote in the poll. Did you actually vote?

https://www.discogs.com/release/144009-Tipper-Surrounded
Just got this DVD-A in and noticed as few things (authoring for one)- see this thread
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/tipper-dvd-a-surrounded.2272/#post-70086
As to the music, I agree somewhat with both:
@privateuniverse -"There really wasn't anything musically that I could latch onto."
and old 'R...Sausage' @Sashaaa - "The main issue with the music here for me is that it just sounds so dated and so watered down."

I enjoyed the track 'No Dice'

here's what the waveforms for 'California Rolls' looks like; seems like maybe there is some slight bleeding edge Limiting going on here (Fronts and Rears), and some of the lower range stuff sounds a little muddy to me.

TIPPER CA ROLLS WAVEFORMS.jpg

There has been many more interesting Electronic/Downtempo music titles released since this one in surround to compare to (do your own research please 🧐)

Also (after having to extract song 12-Illabye with MakeMKV DD 5.1, but says it's 5.0?) I noticed it ripped as a 4:38 length song, but on Apple Music it's a whopping 14:57, playing to the 4:38 mark then going into a silent period and then at around 6:58 starts up with something else?

I probably won't listen to this often all at once, but if a song comes up on a Shuffle, I won't kick it out of 🛏️ either 😁

Also noticed the DVD-A has some video for each song, some static images and others with moving pictures; but I still need to watch the whole thing at some point. I just opened it on my computer to take a quick look with VLC Media Player:

DVD visuals SS.jpg

TIPPER SURROUNDED 5.1.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/release/144009-Tipper-Surrounded
Just got this DVD-A in and noticed as few things (authoring for one)- see this thread
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/tipper-dvd-a-surrounded.2272/#post-70086
As to the music, I agree somewhat with both:
@privateuniverse -"There really wasn't anything musically that I could latch onto."
and old 'R...Sausage' @Sashaaa - "The main issue with the music here for me is that it just sounds so dated and so watered down."

I enjoyed the track 'No Dice'

here's what the waveforms for 'California Rolls' looks like; seems like maybe there is some slight bleeding edge Limiting going on here (Fronts and Rears), and some of the lower range stuff sounds a little muddy to me.

View attachment 94300

There has been many more interesting Electronic/Downtempo music titles released since this one in surround to compare to (do your own research please 🧐)

Also (after having to extract song 12-Illabye with MakeMKV DD 5.1, but says it's 5.0?) I noticed it ripped as a 4:38 length song, but on Apple Music it's a whopping 14:57, playing to the 4:38 mark then going into a silent period and then at around 6:58 starts up with something else?

I probably won't listen to this often all at once, but if a song comes up on a Shuffle, I won't kick it out of🛏️ either 😁

Also noticed the DVD-A has some video for each song, some static images and others with moving pictures; but I still need to watch the whole thing at some point. I just opened it on my computer to take a quick look with VLC Media Player:

View attachment 94301

View attachment 94304
Haha I totally forgot about that old post of mine. I actually quite like No Dice as well (and even occasionally come back to it too!). I used to be a bit more critical of this disc before and have grown to accept it a bit more. While it's still not an album I'd come back to if it wasn't for it's surround version, the music is still ok. However at this point, there's other similar IDM/Downtempo albums in surround I'd rather listen to that are just as amazing musically as their surround mix is (I'm looking at you This Binary Universe and Unspoken Words!).

Back