To honor LIMITED EDITION pressings or Not?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I started this chat because the TFF chat was getting off topic, but I feel as though if ANYONE calls anything a LIMITED EDITION they should honor it like a contract, no I don’t agree that contracts are made to be broken, or laws for that matter.

If you want change then FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT!! If you don’t do anything about it the status quo will never change, and it will only get worse.

See you all later as it’s time for work😁

My $.02.
'limited edition ' is a generic term. whats the parameter ? whats the limiting factor ? People call shit "limited" all the time. Its kind of like marketing, like calling it rare or hard to find...limited means a lot of things to different folk

But when they call something " limited to x amount of units ", that is a different story.

No need to beat up somebody that calls something limited. Said the guy that had a Buick Limited..................

I find that when I own a copy of something that other people that want to buy a copy as well are unable to due to a manufactured shortage, that really improves the sound quality.

I hate things that are limited. It's all marketing bullshit to try and drive up prices and influence people to buy something. Enough of the games! If someone wants to buy it, make enough, and take the money!

Not sure what the controversy is about? I have a number of "limited Editions" mostly CD's. That doesn't mean that the particular title will never be released again. It just refers to a particular run on a particular label. Sometimes 500 copies or maybe 5000 copies. The AF SACD's were special editions. The numbering does make then seem a bit more special. Some people will pay more for a lower numbered copy which seems silly to me but so does giving any value the OBI strip of Japanese releases! I used to discard the OBI strip until I found out that copies with the strip sell for more money, crazy but true!

I value the gold bordered Quad LP releases as well as the gold bordered Audiophile releases, for the same reason as limited editions. It's a little something that makes them stand out from the "ordinary" crowd!

Last edited:
I think you already know I think it is BS. If you find a band later in their career, sod off no music for you. Yeah that is how you grow a fan base.
It is a marketing ploy and if the next pressing can earn enough to make it worth it, there you have it you know what will happen.
I think the biggest reason we have seen so many in recent years is because of manufacturing limits. 5,000 copies of Tull's Storm Watch will sell, another 5k probably will not but the next Tull anniversary edition will.

I normally don't care about Limited Editions as long as there is a way to consume the product elsewhere. If you want to make a limited orange, green, or whatever color vinyl that is great, but have a regular version that is always available (or at least for a reasonable amount of time). Coheed and Cambria does this very well. They put out a Limited version on their website, a different LE for their Tour, but always press a big number of black vinyl that are available until that is sold out. They repressed their 2007 album 13 months ago and the black version is still available to this day. And if I want to consume the stereo mix, there is streaming as well.

The problem I have with The Tipping Point one is that the 5.1 mix is locked behind this very small number edition. There is nowhere else to buy it or stream it. They mentioned the Atmos will probably be able to be streamed, which is great but I only have a 5.1 system right now, and locking a whole different mix behind this very small and obviously demanded title is a huge problem for me.

The problem I have with The Tipping Point one is that the 5.1 mix is locked behind this very small number edition. There is nowhere else to buy it or stream it.
In a case like that I would have no qualms about seeking out a download from a warez site. I know that we are not supposed to talk about piracy but IMHO it's a different case when you just can't buy it especially if you already have a stereo copy, the artist has been paid something already anyway. Hopefully cases like that are few and far between!

I have to agree when something is advertised as a limited number pressing and then later more copies are pressed that is BS. You dont see that in the art world where they created the concept of limited edition prints typically numbered than thats it. But its an artificial limitation to create demand.
Whats next politicians that dont keep their promises.....

The only time I have a problem with limited editions is when I can't get an album I want because it's sold out. Once I have my copy I don't care what they do (as long as I didn't pay ridiculously more for mine than others that buy later).

I have to agree when something is advertised as a limited number pressing and then later more copies are pressed that is BS. You dont see that in the art world where they created the concept of limited edition prints typically numbered than thats it. But its an artificial limitation to create demand.
They never have in the 1st place😂😂😂😡😡😡

that reminds me of what my dad used to say, " You know how you can tell if a politician is lying ? His lips are moving "

In a case like that I would have no qualms about seeking out a download from a warez site. I know that we are not supposed to talk about piracy but IMHO it's a different case when you just can't buy it especially if you already have a stereo copy, the artist has been paid something already anyway. Hopefully cases like that are few and far between!

buying a stereo copy of something doesn't entitle you to "unlimited" downloads of any derivatives of that work. That's a theft justification if I ever heard one

Steve Wilson did limited edition, #1 of one, so that most likely would be a "limited edition", if he had done 2 ............................................:unsure:

buying a stereo copy of something doesn't entitle you to "unlimited" downloads of any derivatives of that work. That's a theft justification if I ever heard one
My conscience is clear!! Also the industry shot itself in the foot by shutting down Napster. I bought more music because of the existence of file sharing!

And what about You-tube you can stream all you want without paying one red cent.

Last edited:
Back