Denon DBP-2012 Blu-Ray Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
The best bet would be an Oppo Blu-ray player but they go for crazy prices, I use the BDP-103 and also have a BDP-95. Those machines play all the previously mentioned disc types.

Denon's DBP-2012 has almost all the functionality of an Oppo (analog 7.1 output, DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray, etc) at a fraction of the price. There are a few sitting on eBay right now for around $120. Sony's UBP-X800 adds Ultra-HD Blu-Ray playback on top of all that, but it only has HDMI.

Denon's DBP-2012 has almost all the functionality of an Oppo (analog 7.1 output, DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray, etc) at a fraction of the price. There are a few sitting on eBay right now for around $120. Sony's UBP-X800 adds Ultra-HD Blu-Ray playback on top of all that, but it only has HDMI.
That Denon is a rather cool unit. I love rack mount equipment, and professional equipment is usually built a bit tougher. Separate stereo and multichannel outputs as well. Does it do DSD natively? If I had of seen that before I might have got it rather than my second Oppo!

Came across another model also going for about $50.00, but it doesn't do Blu-ray. "Denon DVD-1920 DVD Audio-Video Super Audio"

And another that does Blu-ray $150 "DENON DBP-1611UD DVD/CD/Blu-ray Universal AV Player Burr-Brown" This one only has stereo analog outputs, for surround you would have to use HDMI.

Another model "DENON DVD-1940CI DVD AUDIO / SACD Player" $65.00

Last edited:
So I've been watching the listings for "Denon's DBP-2012". One seller had three for sale (originally five), labelled as "Professional" due (I guess) to the inclusion of rack mounting. Those 3 sold very quickly so I'm just wondering if anyone here snagged one? There is another available from another seller but it looks beat to s*#t! One more without the rack mount that looks very nice but is going for a higher price. I've been so tempted to grab one myself but I really don't need any more players.

If I was in the market I would snag one of these before thinking about a new Reavon.

Reading this new thread Customer dissatisfied with Reavon player made me think again about that Denon player.

Checking eBay the beat up one is still for sale, along with a couple of others.

I checked the manual and it says that to play SACD (DSD) natively you have to disable the HDMI connection and use the analogue outputs. That would poise no problem for me but it might for others.

Reading this new thread Customer dissatisfied with Reavon player made me think again about that Denon player.

Checking eBay the beat up one is still for sale, along with a couple of others.

I checked the manual and it says that to play SACD (DSD) natively you have to disable the HDMI connection and use the analogue outputs. That would poise no problem for me but it might for others.
It sure would be nice if we could lobby the receiver manufacturers to start putting multichannel analog inputs on their products again.

So I've been watching the listings for "Denon's DBP-2012". One seller had three for sale (originally five), labelled as "Professional" due (I guess) to the inclusion of rack mounting. Those 3 sold very quickly so I'm just wondering if anyone here snagged one? There is another available from another seller but it looks beat to s*#t! One more without the rack mount that looks very nice but is going for a higher price. I've been so tempted to grab one myself but I really don't need any more players.

If I was in the market I would snag one of these before thinking about a new Reavon.
I had a Denon UDP-2012 when it worked it was ok, it lasted 3 years then it started 'jumping' on CDs and not recognising DVD/BD/SACD. I had a 5 year guarantee on it, as I bought it from Richer Sounds (UK retailer). I put it in for repair with them, and it was unfixable (they had it 2+ months and tried) as not just a laser fault, but circuitry as well - but I got all my purchase cost back and put it towards an OPPO 203. So I was happy.

Last edited:
I had a Denon UDP-2012 when it worked it was ok, it lasted 3 years then it started 'jumping' on CDs and not recognising DVD/BD/SACD. I had a 6 year guarantee on it, as I bought it from Richer Sounds (UK retailer). I put it in for repair with them, and it was unfixable (they had it 2+ months and tried) as not just a laser fault, but circuitry as well - but I got all my purchase cost back and put it towards an OPPO 203. So I was happy.
Interesting, I picked up a really beat-up used one 5-6 years ago now and it's only ever failed to recognize one disc (John Lennon's Imagine Blu-Ray #2 from the 2018 box set - I think there was an authoring error on the first run of these? A replacement copy ended up working fine). It does lock up every once in a while, but unplugging the power cord always brings it back.

I do wish it could play digital files (FLAC, MKV, DSF, etc) off a NAS though.

Back