Tom Petty’s “Wildflowers” in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how much Amazon paid to have this an exclusive. Seems like a waste to create full-on Atmos mixes for this amount of material and then only make it available to stream to a cube

Jon, my only surprise is your surprise at seeing the money-men botch Wildflowers release up. You're too well educated regarding the history of surround shooting itself in the foot to express disbelief at yet another act of stupidity. This comes on the heels of Ultravox being released in the archaic and lossy DTS/DVD format.

All the rational common-sense decision making that went into releasing the Doobie Bros. Quadio box on DTS-MA/BR is like hitting the lotto in the snake-bitten surround world.

Jon, my only surprise is your surprise at seeing the money-men botch Wildflowers release up. You're too well educated regarding the history of surround shooting itself in the foot to express disbelief at yet another act of stupidity. This comes on the heels of Ultravox being released in the archaic and lossy DTS/DVD format.

All the rational common-sense decision making that went into releasing the Doobie Bros. Quadio box on DTS-MA/BR is like hitting the lotto in the snake-bitten surround world.

NEVER has the expression "If You Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance .... Baffle Them With BULLSHIT" been more apropos than as applied to a myriad of surround releases in the past few years. Including these Surround Releases in elaborate LP sized cardboard enclosures with hardcovered books, posters, post cards and then giving us numerous RBCD B sides, outtakes and then a LOSSY DVD~V DTS/DD 5.1 is an all too common practice which MUST CEASE.

Enlisting the uber talents of remixing Gurus Elliot Scheiner or Steve Wilson and then consigning their brilliant efforts to LOSSY codecs, as in Scheiner's Layla and Wilson's latest Vienna remix [among others] instead of including LOSSLESS BD~As, at the VERY least, in pure layman's terms IS JUST PLAIN NUTSO!

And a real kick in the butt to potential buyers perusing the Vienna box set clearly indicates on the rear: 24/96 5.1 mix .... which, most ironically, appears nowhere on that included DVD~V....JUST Lossy DTS/DD 5.1 and of course the ALL IMPORTANT STEREO REMIX in, you guessed it, LOSSLESS 96/24 !!!!!!!

I would assume that remixing an album from scratch in 5.1 or ATMOS is a costly affair in and of itself but then why go to all that trouble of locating the absolute master multis and then relegate that 192/24 or 96/24 surround master to LOSSY CODECS, as if those with keen ears and separate audio components couldn't tell the difference.

And as poster OVERFLOATER8 justly pointed out, with the Doobies QUADIO boxset [and the Chicago Quadio set, as well], RHINO/WARNER showed how effectively and brilliantly a NO NONSENSE, full kilibuck set should look ..... NO FRILLS, superbly executed and at a price everyone can afford.

I only wish other labels and artists would take NOTE!

Last edited:
I just can't even fathom this B.S. (highest Yardarm then!)

highest yardarm.jpg

& retire with something real and available in my Trench Coat Corner

Pupster's TCC.png

I purchased Wildflowers & All The Rest, 4 CD box set that arrives tomorrow.

"the Wildflowers Dolby Atmos mix is an exclusive for Amazon Music HD subscribers, who can access it via that service's 3D Audio tier and play it in full through Amazon's Echo Studio speaker system."

The Amazon Music HD subscription is free for 30 days, OK, I could try, already have Amazon Music with my Prime account, but article says plays through Echo Studio speaker system, I don't have.

Via my FireTV Amazon Cube I went to Amazon Music and they only have one song "Leave Virginia Alone" available to listen to as of this writing.

Via my FireTV Amazon Cube I went to Tidal Music, and they have in stereo the 54 tracks from the new release.

I am listening via stereo, of course there is faux surround but that's not my thing.

I got real busy reading this thread and for me, I am not going to sweat anything. If they want to make no money they can let the average streaming person who has an echo speaker listen. If they want to make money they will release the Atmos version as a hard disc.

Simple as that.

I purchased Wildflowers & All The Rest, 4 CD box set that arrives tomorrow.

"the Wildflowers Dolby Atmos mix is an exclusive for Amazon Music HD subscribers, who can access it via that service's 3D Audio tier and play it in full through Amazon's Echo Studio speaker system."

The Amazon Music HD subscription is free for 30 days, OK, I could try, already have Amazon Music with my Prime account, but article says plays through Echo Studio speaker system, I don't have.

Via my FireTV Amazon Cube I went to Amazon Music and they only have one song "Leave Virginia Alone" available to listen to as of this writing.

Via my FireTV Amazon Cube I went to Tidal Music, and they have in stereo the 54 tracks from the new release.

I am listening via stereo, of course there is faux surround but that's not my thing.

I got real busy reading this thread and for me, I am not going to sweat anything. If they want to make no money they can let the average streaming person who has an echo speaker listen. If they want to make money they will release the Atmos version as a hard disc.

Simple as that.

Jeff Bezos will be sporting an Afro before I'll purchase an Amazon Echo just to get Atmos Music!

Whoever runs Amazon Music has shit for brains (but I'm sure their well paid for their lack of common sense).

Back