Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to be more open minded because you’re depriving yourself of some great Atmos albums and tracks that have come along over the last few years PRIMARILY due to streaming.

Both Apple Music and Tidal offer free or nearly free trials. Give it a chance.
Your exactly right and I agree with you.
My only one problem, this year 2023, I am on overload with music listening. There are a lot of great titles being released for purchase and a lot of great titles being released via streaming in Dolby Atmos.
I feel frustrated as a music listener, I have always liked to sit in my chair and give a recording a good listen, and I just feel like I cannot give all this great music it's due because of lack of time.
I am seeming to keep up, but feels rushed to me, I guess it is a real good problem to have in the world of surround, even stereo.

I don’t disagree with you about what a good title deserves. Sadly, the companies who foot the bill for stuff like that aren’t as reasonable and logical as we are. ;)

Certain movie titles on Blu-ray have enjoyed physical releases on a limited basis. Certain titles not pressed at a factory but are made to order, burned and sent to a customer...I for example have bought a few Blu-rays that way.

If advertised on a streaming platform it's website or both; I think Atmos mixes burned onto disc (on a individual basis without having to meet a minimum order) would create additional revenue to a particular company. It doesn't have to be a whole album, the requirement for the customer could be simply a minimum number of songs.

You might want to be more open minded because you’re depriving yourself of some great Atmos albums and tracks that have come along over the last few years PRIMARILY due to streaming.

Both Apple Music and Tidal offer free or nearly free trials. Give it a chance.
I wouldn't even know what to do; I don't even own a smartphone. Even when high resolution music has been available as a digital download...what do I do? Keep a collection of USBs in my collection?

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
I think we all would. I have that moment of frustration where I think, “Why can’t we have a disc with this content?!?!” But I’m getting better at jumping quicker to what @sjcorne just said... better streaming than not at all.

I have a question for the group, though. Do we think that some stuff like this that is streaming-only, might see a physical release, especially with an artist like Petty?

I sometimes feel we’re in early days with Atmos and haven’t had enough time to know if “streaming-only” is the plan for a year or two and then grab some extra money with a physical product. Or if the plan from the start is streaming only? Obviously that might vary from title to title and artist to artist. I just keep thinking maybe there will be a reward for patience in some cases... Petty, Revolver... the bigger names and titles.

Or I’m being totally naive and should accept the new reality.
I think the problem is that there are a shrinking number of people who want to buy physical media period, never mind the much smaller market of buyers for BluRay audio. Add in the expense of making, packaging, inventorying and shipping product the margins get very tight for the record companies. I think it’s possible that a big artist like Petty will issue BluRays but I wouldn’t count on it. Btw, the Petty ATMOS mixes are AWESOME.

I think the problem is that there are a shrinking number of people who want to buy physical media period, never mind the much smaller market of buyers for BluRay audio. Add in the expense of making, packaging, inventorying and shipping product the margins get very tight for the record companies. I think it’s possible that a big artist like Petty will issue BluRays but I wouldn’t count on it. Btw, the Petty ATMOS mixes are AWESOME.
Oh no doubt in regards to the cost involved and probably the shrinking market for it. I do like to spend some glorious moments from time to time being naive about what’s possible, but reality about all this eventually slaps me in the face and I’m back on earth again.

I’d be happy for a compromise in some cases, though... sell the product as a digital download or at least talk to Paul at SDE and see if something can be arranged.

As I’ve said before, if one can stream Atmos successfully one can download uncompressed files. The expense to the publisher has to be much less than creating and shipping physical discs. Save the fake plastic trees!

I wouldn't even know what to do; I don't even own a smartphone. Even when high resolution music has been available as a digital download...what do I do? Keep a collection of USBs in my collection?
Sure. I have an assortment of flash drives, external HDs, burned discs, and so on. If the music is interesting, no worries.
Physical copy with engaging art always preferred.

Does anyone here have contact with Adrea Petty (Tom's older daughter) or Dana York Petty (his widow)? They are the decision makers when it comes to managing his estate/legacy to include posthumous releases.

DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Audio and SACD.
With my Blu-ray player (panny ub820) I can use the system menu to find my multichannel, hi-res downloads. Obviously, the player needs to be on your local network either through wifi or ethernet. Whatever computer/laptop you use to store the downloads just needs to be on the network as well and be configured to share the media via DNLA (digital living network alliance) which is a pretty ubiquitous way of sharing your content on your local network that almost all players support reading from.

So the minimum bar is a local network and DLNA server (which can be any spare laptop computer you might have handy) and a network connected player.

edit: I lied, if your player has a USB interface, you can simply connect an external drive with your content to your player and play it back using the system menu as well. No local network required. But presumably you at least used your internet connection to download the hi-res, multichannel content.

With my Blu-ray player (panny ub820) I can use the system menu to find my multichannel, hi-res downloads. Obviously, the player needs to be on your local network either through wifi or ethernet. Whatever computer/laptop you use to store the downloads just needs to be on the network as well and be configured to share the media via DNLA (digital living network alliance) which is a pretty ubiquitous way of sharing your content on your local network that almost all players support reading from.

So the minimum bar is a local network and DLNA server (which can be any spare laptop computer you might have handy) and a network connected player.

edit: I lied, if your player has a USB interface, you can simply connect an external drive with your content to your player and play it back using the system menu as well. No local network required. But presumably you at least used your internet connection to download the hi-res, multichannel content.

I have the same player along with a Sony X800 (UHD Blu-ray player.) The Sony can play SACDs and the Panasonic cannot, so I use the Sony for all the audio formats and the Panasonic for the video formats.

No, I haven't downloaded hi-res multichannel content and I've never joined any audio streaming services. If the content is available on one of the disc formats then I'm more than happy to purchase it, but this Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits in Atmos is not, so I won't.

No worries however, I have many titles released on disc in various surround formats and Atmos. I also have way more UHD Blu-rays than I have time to watch and continue to buy.

I'm doing just fine.

As I’ve said before, if one can stream Atmos successfully one can download uncompressed files. The expense to the publisher has to be much less than creating and shipping physical discs. Save the fake plastic trees!
As I've said before it's a lot easier to control streamed content than download content. It's not about expenses so much as revenue streams.

It unfortunately takes only about 20 minutes to rip a Bluray and stick it out on the torrent sites. That's 20 min longer than a download. Not sure if a physical disc is the answer, frankly.
The people who want to get music cheap or for free will do so, no matter how it is delivered.

The music companies hurt themselves by not producing quality content and selling it for crazy prices. Now they are really hurting the artists by streaming everything for pennies and unless you are a "Taylor Swift" or really big artist, you are getting basically nothing.

I'm glad there are a few great companies left, like Dutton-Vocalion that are willing to do a great job mastering product and delivering it on high quality media formats, like SACD for those of us still willing to pay for them, and like to collect music. I hope their profits are good enough so they stay viable as a company.

Will all the high storage delivery methods available now, it is a shame when you think about what they could deliver now on Blu Ray or even on memory cards, etc. You could put a Blu Ray in your PC or player and listened to your favorite music by a band in high resolution audio, while getting all kinds of history of the band or other visual content. Much more than they could have printed on CD liner notes or booklets! And all could be delivered at a reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Back