Tom Petty (& the Heartbreakers) plus Mudcrutch in Atmos and surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strilo

Staff member
So despite being a big fan of Tom Petty's music since the Full Moon Fever era, I somehow never really listened to anything after Wildflowers in 1994. I'd been meaning to check things out for a while, then he passed away and it was too difficult for me to listen to any of his music. Recently, as I was listening to a bunch of music in Atmos on shuffle, I noticed I was really enjoying the Wildflowers stuff. I decided to start with All The Rest and then work my way forward. The rules were/are listen chronologically in release order, include solo, Heartbreakers and Mudcrutch stuff, and listen to each album as an album from start to finish for a few days minimum. I went with the newly released Angel Dream instead of She's The One, due to the aforementioned start with All The Rest. Then it was on to Echo and I haven't looked back since. I've spent about a week, sometimes more, on each album and loved them all. I am just finishing my week with Mojo and will start Hypnotic Eye soon.

That said, I really love all of the Tom Petty stuff in Atmos (I listen on Apple Music). So far we have the Greatest Hits, Wildflowers & All The Rest, and Angel Dream. Now that I know the other albums, I am dying to hear them in surround as well, especially if Ryan Ulyate mixes them. Echo, Highway Companion and Mojo seem like they would be absolutely killer in Atmos.

I'd love this thread to discuss any future news and releases of his stuff in Atmos.

@Strilo Ryan Ulyate is a really nice guy, and a QQ member. Ryan Ulyate on mixing Tom Petty's Greatest Hits in Atmos
I chatted with him there, and Jonathan chatted with him here: Q&A with Ryan Ulyate: Award-Winning Producer & Immersive Mix Engineer | IAA
The big one in atmos on apple but not on your list is Live At The Fillmore, 1997, released last November. Fantastic atmos live mix and a ton of covers. It's right between Wildflowers and Mojo in terms of style.
If you're really into this era, the High Grass Dogs, Live In Concert, and Live at the Olympic concert DVDs are cool too. 400 Days too but it has been taken down from the Petty youtube and is part of the Live Anthology box set. So much good stuff!
Making of Wildflowers:
Rubin on Wildflowers:

@Strilo Ryan Ulyate is a really nice guy, and a QQ member. Ryan Ulyate on mixing Tom Petty's Greatest Hits in Atmos
I chatted with him there, and Jonathan chatted with him here: Q&A with Ryan Ulyate: Award-Winning Producer & Immersive Mix Engineer | IAA
The big one in atmos on apple but not on your list is Live At The Fillmore, 1997, released last November. Fantastic atmos live mix and a ton of covers. It's right between Wildflowers and Mojo in terms of style.
If you're really into this era, the High Grass Dogs, Live In Concert, and Live at the Olympic concert DVDs are cool too. 400 Days too but it has been taken down from the Petty youtube and is part of the Live Anthology box set. So much good stuff!
Making of Wildflowers:
Rubin on Wildflowers:

wow!! The Making of Wildflowers. Soooooo cool. thanks for sharing Popshop

I am holding off on the live stuff until I know most or all of the album catalogue. But I already added Live at the Fillmore to my Library. I read that Greatest Hits thread and actually replied. As far as I am concerned, Ryan Ulyate has knocked all of the Atmos Petty mixes out of the park. They're incredible. You Don't Know How It Feels is a demo level track in Atmos for me. My neighbor and fellow music lover's jaw dropped when I played that song in Atmos.

I am holding off on the live stuff until I know most or all of the album catalogue. But I already added Live at the Fillmore to my Library. I read that Greatest Hits thread and actually replied. As far as I am concerned, Ryan Ulyate has knocked all of the Atmos Petty mixes out of the park. They're incredible. You Don't Know How It Feels is a demo level track in Atmos for me. My neighbor and fellow music lover's jaw dropped when I played that song in Atmos.
For what it's worth, I'd say maybe 2/3rds of Fillmore '97 are covers, not original Petty material.

FYI, The Dolby Atmos mix of Mojo will be available on Apple Music and Amazon on October 20th. There are also 2 new bonus tracks "Mystery Of Love" and "Help Me". It was so fun to go back and revisit this great album, featuring a band having a great time in the studio!
Physical release, please! Does anyone here know Tom's daughter, Adria? I'm pretty sure she has the most say regarding posthumous releases.

FYI, The Dolby Atmos mix of Mojo will be available on Apple Music and Amazon on October 20th. There are also 2 new bonus tracks "Mystery Of Love" and "Help Me". It was so fun to go back and revisit this great album, featuring a band having a great time in the studio!
Can’t wait to hear this. I’ve always loved the blu-ray audio of this in 5.1, fantastic sound quality and great performances from the band.

I hope Tidal is not being left out for these mixes.

Physical release, please! Does anyone here know Tom's daughter, Adria? I'm pretty sure she has the most say regarding posthumous releases.
If by physical release you mean lossless IAA download then I agree :)

Back