Tom Petty: "Wildflowers - All the Rest" Atmos Streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but there’s no Blu-Ray release, only streaming, and that’s just so dumb... 🙄
Ugh, is this a bad joke or what... 😞

"That said, the true Wildflowers Holy Grail is the absolutely stunning and wholly immersive Dolby Atmos mix helmed by Ryan Ulyate, Petty's longtime righthand engineering man who's also responsible for the stellar 24-bit/48kHz 5.1 mixes of Petty masterworks Damn the Torpedoes, Mojo, and Hypnotic Eye on Blu-ray. Currently, the Wildflowers Dolby Atmos mix is an exclusive for Amazon Music HD subscribers, who can access it via that service's 3D Audio tier and play it in full through Amazon's Echo Studio speaker system. "

Yeah but there’s no Blu-Ray release, only streaming, and that’s just so dumb... 🙄
Yeah, but then again...
Mettler: Do you think the Dolby Atmos mix of Wildflowers will ever get a physical representation?

Ulyate: I really don't know. It depends on Warner Bros., and whether they think there's a market for it. I believe that, after the Amazon exclusive period ends, the Atmos version will also be available from other hi-res streaming services.

Ulyate just mentions that he did an atmos mix (in the room where he did the mix) and then points at the stupid echo speaker and says it's available at Ama blah blah. David Fricke then jokingly asks if it will be in Quad. Ulyate jokes back and says he'll do a Quad mix just for David. All of this around 33 minutes.
Most of the discussion is on the art. Ulyate doesn't say much other than Steve Ferrone is crazy good (true). Fun and interesting, but just saying there isn't much in terms of studio gear, mastering, mix, etc. No discussion of bluray or Tidal or 5.1.
Noteworthy is that the flac and wav downloads are low compression and the mp3 download is highly compressed.

Couldn't resist; plus had a 20% discount for HDtracks (24/96)... DR numbers are good :)

TOM PETTY HDtracks 24x96 flac DR13.jpg

Here's the wave form and Spectrogram for the HDtracks 24/96 flac of "You Don't Know How It Feels"
DR on this track is 12.
*maybe someone that knows more about interpreting Spectrograms can comment on all the pixie dust above 20K???

TOM PETTY YDKHIF HDtracks 24x96 flac .jpg

TOM PETTY YDKHIF HDtracks 24x96 flac-SPECTRO .jpg

Here's the wave form and Spectrogram for the HDtracks 24/96 flac of "You Don't Know How It Feels"
DR on this track is 12.
*maybe someone that knows more about interpreting Spectrograms can comment on all the pixie dust above 20K???

View attachment 58246
View attachment 58247
Its there to annoy the bats!

To meet Nyquist with a 96kHz sample rate you need to have rolled off below half a bit by 48kHz so not produce any aliasing artefacts, so they have just used a slow roll-off low pass filter.

Its there to annoy the bats!

To meet Nyquist with a 96kHz sample rate you need to have rolled off below half a bit by 48kHz so not produce any aliasing artefacts, so they have just used a slow roll-off low pass filter.
So Duncan :whistle:, if someone was to do an up-mix of this :whistle: (because the powers that be are too lame to give us a real one :rolleyes:); and say I used a LPF at around 24-26K at 48db; do you think I would notice anything aurally, since being an old fart I may not even hear much above 12-15k etc. etc.?

Assuming Low Pass Butterworth filters which roll-off at 6dB/octave and a conventional DAC (not a DSD DAC). Then, with a Low Pass cut-off of 24kHz to get -48dB down (8-bits down) at 48kHz you need an 8th order filter, so by a signal of 96kHz which would fold back to 24kHz you will be at -96dB (16-bits down) so even someone in the prime of youth isn't going to hear much, so by 12kHz anyone at a less than than youthful age (i.e. me) is unlikely to hear aliased down artefacts.

Happy Birthday to Tom Petty! He would've been 70.
Fantastic release, all 70 tracks.
A phenomenal band during a very productive period, perfect tones recorded on tape and sounding warm and fat.
Very cool to hear all the different versions on the Finding Wildflowers alt-take album.
There is an internet thingie happening on Friday too:
https://www.tompettybirthdaybash.com/

Yeah, but then again...

Regarding Mike Mettler , asking about a physical version :

So .....maybe , a small chance yet .
Warner will have to come to their sobering senses and release a" physical version" so the majority of people with surround sound systems (like me) can finally purchase and hear Tom Petty's -Wildflower the way it should be heard.
And if not by Xmas ? .....soon after perhaps ?

Well, kudos to @rtbluray, nearly 6 years after he started this thread, Wildflowers (plus 10 more) can be heard in surround! Atmos on Tidal. It's a real mix too! Listening now (5.1.2 with heights in rear) and loving it.
I'll post the interview again about the process, with mixer Ryan Ulyate:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ryan-ulyate-mixing-tom-pettys-wildflowers-dolby-atmos
Fantastic to get this in Dolby Atmos. I checked and i could play it with Dolby Atmos on Tidal. I hope this is an start for more rock albums on Tidal with Atmos. Of course i would like to get it on BD also but this is alos very good!

Back