HiRez Poll Tomita - CLAIR DE LUNE (SACD JAPAN)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Tomita - Clair de Lune (Ultimate Edition)

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 4.0 SACD issue of Tomita - Clair De Lune (Ultimate Edition), which is derived from the old 1970's RCA Quadraphonic release titled "Snowflakes Are Dancing", a quad era staple. (n):phones(y)

Tomita de Lune Japan Front 600.jpg
Tomita de Lune Japan Back 600.jpg
Tomita de Lune Japan Disc 600.jpg

I always thought the guy on the cover of the original Snowflakes Are Dancing release looked like Spock. Right?
images.jpg

The new version is out of stock on Amazon, but some vendors are offering them for sale. I assume they are the same version, but the art they are showing does not show the Japanese stickers on the cover, so not absolutely sure.
http://www.amazon.com/Tsuki-Hikari-Ultimate-Edition-Isao-Tomita/dp/B007TMNGB2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363908383&sr=8-2&keywords=tomita+sacd

That cover always made me think of Spock as well.

I ordered the Clair de Lune Ultimate Edition a few days back from an eBay seller for $43.50 shipped.

Just got the disc today from http://www.farsidemusic.com/

Interesting 4.0 surround mix makes good use of all the speakers, good sound quality for this release which I think must be the remastered original Quad mix. Musically I definitely prefer this interpretation of Clair de Lune over The Planets.

I gave it a 9. I didn't care for track 2. Track 2 shows how the sound is brought together and is informative but after hearing it once or twice no need to hear it again. Otherwise the disc is great with very good surround and sonics. This is one of my more played disc. I've been listening more to instrumentals lately.

Extraordinary music, though part of me wishes for the US version of the album, with the cover graphics and track listing. Otherwise, loads of fun, and hard to imagine a more creative album of its time. Full 10 here.

ED :)

Ever since getting into this hobby, I have discovered a bunch of music simply because it has a surround mix. This is definitely one of those records.

I love the music here. I was doubting getting this because I thought it'd just be something like Switched on Bach by Wendy Carlos, which is good, just nothing super emotive. This disc is nothing like Switched on Bach though. It's incredibly ethereal electronic reproductions of classical music, but in a way that feels genuinely different then the original version. While Wendy Carlos seemed to strive for as realistic reproduction of acoustic instruments with electronics, Tomita just seemed to want to do something different, and I feel like that was the best possible thing he could do.

The music here doesn't sound dated, it's just as beautiful and powerful as it must've been in the 70s. It's not that the synths don't necessarily sound old, because they do, it's just that it's not really a problem. The mix here also might just be my favorite quad mix out there. It's super discrete as most quad is, but never sounds disconnected from the music. There's a part in the track Clair de Lune at around 4 minutes where there is this high pitched sound that goes up. Literally just feels like ascension, and it cuts through my heart every time I hear it. The classic rendition of Arebesque no. 1 is definitely my favorite here though.

I don't mean to sound like a shill... This is just one of my absolute favorite releases to ever come out of our small corner of the world.

I wish there was more Electronic multichannel stuff. I've found a bit and heard effectively every one. I'm a artist myself and I make electronic music, and I mix everything I do in 5.1. I've contacted a few artists I particularly thought would sound great in 5.1 those being Sweet Trip and Nmesh, willing to mix their music in 5.1 for free. No responses yet though :(.

I wish there was more Electronic multichannel stuff. I've found a bit and heard effectively every one. I'm a artist myself and I make electronic music, and I mix everything I do in 5.1. I've contacted a few artists I particularly thought would sound great in 5.1 those being Sweet Trip and Nmesh, willing to mix their music in 5.1 for free. No responses yet though :(.

I don't know if you're familiar with David Miles-Huber, but he's released quite a few electronica albums in surround sound. The blu ray 5.1 Berlin mix of Parallax Eden is my favourite.

51H8E+ROo8L._AC_UL320_.jpg

I always thought the guy on the cover of the original Snowflakes Are Dancing release looked like Spock. Right?
images.jpg

The new version is out of stock on Amazon, but some vendors are offering them for sale. I assume they are the same version, but the art they are showing does not show the Japanese stickers on the cover, so not absolutely sure.
Robot Check
[Kinda does, except for the ears. Is this new SACD the same recording as the "Snowflakes Are Dancing" CD? The Dolby Surround version, played through the Surround Master v2, is scary good!

Back