HiRez Poll Tomita - PLANETS ULTIMATE EDITION (SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Tomita - PLANETS ULTIMATE EDITION

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
A quick question for those of you have both the Planets and the Pictures at an Exhibition SACDs:

I recently bought Pictures and I absolutely love it...Crazy, crazy surround action and it's also one of my favorite classical pieces (which is why I bought it first over Planets). That said, Planets seems to be rated a bit higher than Pictures in the QQ poll, and I'm wondering if that's a matter of personal preference in terms of the music or if, indeed, the Planets mix/fidelity is an improvement over Pictures. Anyone have an opinion/thought on this?

I'm debating about how much I need to own Planets and whether Pictures will satisfy my Tomita surround needs for the moment...Considering that I've spent quite a bit of cash on surround releases lately (Bitches Brew arrived today!!), I'm not sure I have the disposable income to drop another $25...but I will if I can be convinced that Planets is the one to get!!

A quick question for those of you have both the Planets and the Pictures at an Exhibition SACDs:

I recently bought Pictures and I absolutely love it...Crazy, crazy surround action and it's also one of my favorite classical pieces (which is why I bought it first over Planets). That said, Planets seems to be rated a bit higher than Pictures in the QQ poll, and I'm wondering if that's a matter of personal preference in terms of the music or if, indeed, the Planets mix/fidelity is an improvement over Pictures. Anyone have an opinion/thought on this?

I'm debating about how much I need to own Planets and whether Pictures will satisfy my Tomita surround needs for the moment...Considering that I've spent quite a bit of cash on surround releases lately (Bitches Brew arrived today!!), I'm not sure I have the disposable income to drop another $25...but I will if I can be convinced that Planets is the one to get!!

my opinion is that there is no going wrong with ANY of Tomita's Quad releases..just sayin'

I have both and I have to say I do prefer the Planets. They are of a very similar style and both very good but there is more going on in The Planets. I do also prefer the music so maybe slightly biased. I'm sure you wouldn't regret getting the Planets if you like Pictures. The great thing is they are both still available on SACD. :cool:

The Tale of Genji is more like traditional Japanese music with narration telling the tale of Genji. I doubt it'll be a hit with many but I like it. It makes good use of surround as you'd expect from Tomita. Oh, and it's a 2-SACD release as it's too long to fit on one disc. The best thing to do is listen to more of his music on Youtube to get a feel for each and any albums you're thinking of buying.

The Tale of Genji 2-disc SACD release is currently £10 here on Amazon UK... if you're quick enough to beat the bot!

EDIT: The bot just bumped the price up to £58.99, oh well.

damn that bot is a piece of a$$! :p
more seriously, are these Japanese Tomita SACDs out of print now?
i snoozed. i loozed :sleep:

damn that bot is a piece of a$$! :p
more seriously, are these Japanese Tomita SACDs out of print now?
i snoozed. i loozed :sleep:

I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid but as far as I can tell, they're all still available to buy online so I don't think there's any need for anyone to press the panic buy-button just yet. Oh, and damn those pesky bots!

Just got this one. I voted 10. Great music and surround mix. I have the quad on q8, and there are a few differences in instruments and surround mix. Not a lot, both the original quad mix and this surround mix are excellent, i vote a 10 on both, but i do prefer the quad mix just a little better. Hopefully DV will give us the quad mix on sacd.

After much prevarication, mainly over the cost for Japanese discs in the UK, I decided to buy this from Amazon UK at £31. I left the product page open on my PC for a couple of days went back to buy and, imagine my surprise, Amazon had reduced it £29 so obviously went for it. And today Amazon UK have changed the price again, now £27!! 🙄

I have voted this a 10. I really like the music - it's Gustav Holst so what's not to like and I know this well in its original orchestral version. Tomita's style reminds me a lot of the late great Keith Emerson so there is another positive and the surround presentation is exactly why I have 5.1 system (OK this is 4.0 and is absolutely awesome) There are very few mixes that are so totally joined up with a full soundstage between all speakers. As a result I have now ordered his Pictures At An Exhibition Ultimate SACD from CD Japan. I have had the CD-4 vinyl since it first emerged so am really looking forward to this SACD. I am also enjoying Amin Bhatia's Interstellar Suite which definitely comes from the same stable. Aren't we lucky to have such fantastic music presented so brilliantly?!!

Back