Tommy James Q8: What Are The Proper Channel Assignments?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadchuck

Help

I have files for greatest hits and orientation of program seems wrong, but it could be right.
If someone knows song Crystal Blue Persuasion, mine is as follows, is this correct?

LF- Acoustic guitar playing tasty licks
RF- Main vocals and electric guitar
LR-Main vocal
RR- Horns
all channels have bass

Sound Correct ?

Thank you

Help

I have files for greatest hits and orientation of program seems wrong, but it could be right.
If someone knows song Crystal Blue Persuasion, mine is as follows, is this correct?

LF- Acoustic guitar playing tasty licks
RF- Main vocals and electric guitar
LR-Main vocal
RR- Horns
all channels have bass

Sound Correct ?

Thank you
Have you read through this THREAD? Among others, this POST by @Q-Eight and this POST by @EMB specifically mention "Crystal Blue Persuasion."

It's been a long time since I've listened to the quad of that. I have both a conversion that someone did as well as the original Q8 kicking around someplace. I'll give it a listen and report back. Most quad mixes have bass in all channels.

My best guess is that perhaps the LF and LR are reversed. It would be a very odd choice to split the vocal that way! On occasion channels inadvertently get swapped around with some Q8's. Even a few SACD releases suffer from swapped channels!

I would swap around the channels to the configuration that sounds the best to you!

Note: I started to write this before Clements post, now looking at the thread he linked to I remember such things as vocals from one channel only and totally fake quad made from mono! They did what they could with what they had, like those early stereo Beatles with the vocals on one side only. Not perfect mixes but you still just have to love them for what they are!

Thank you
once I saw it was a GRT that explained it .
par4ken is right just swap channels to make best mix.

my car player follows DTS rules and shuts down EQ in DTS
so I have to pre-EQ files before making DTS burn

Not the best , but it's nice to hear Sweet Cherry wine Organ swirling around you
thanks again

Note: I started to write this before Clements post, now looking at the thread he linked to I remember such things as vocals from one channel only and totally fake quad made from mono! They did what they could with what they had, like those early stereo Beatles with the vocals on one side only. Not perfect mixes but you still just have to love them for what they are!
The early Beatles stereo albums were basically the mono album on one channel with some extra parts on the other channel that were not on the mono album. The original recordings were not engineered with stereo in mind.

I have at least three recordings of Crystal Blue Persuasion. Stereo mixing was much better when this record came out, and it is a rather good mix.

Did you know that the same rhythm track was used for both I think we're alone now and Mirage? But they turned the multitrack tape over for Mirage and copied it backward to another multitrack recorder. So the choruses and verses were switched in rhythm.

That is the one known rock band I got to see live twice (and both were free concerts).

Back