Tommy Soundtrack Quad Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking back this thread for a question regarding Tommy OST:
I had the cd version but I bought the vinyl and surprise... the first song is missing!
Where is it?
:confused: :mad:@:

Which song would that be?:confused:

On the credits of the LP it's stated at the end:
"...Overture from Tommy available on Polydor 2001 561"

Wow, you are correct. I just checked my album and found the same thing. That's unfortunate because the Overture is one of the few songs performed by all members of the Who. I would guess that 2 L.P.s couldn't fit everything, and that this song became the casualty.

A quick search reveals that "Polydor 2001 561" is a 7" record with the "Overture fromTommy" on it.

Does your cd decode as good as the L.P.? My L.P. is kinda rough, so I can't compare the two.

My cd is the 1993 version and it decodes perfectly.QUOTE]

I just bought what is supposed to be the 1993 CD version of the Tommy Movie Soundtrack off ebay. It was real cheap, so there must be plenty more out there.

Does anyone have the exact QS CD versions numbers so that I can verify that they match? Are there more than one QS CD release of the Tommy Movie Soundtrack, and if so what are the numbers?

Also, we need to know how the remaster decodes in QS if at all, anyone have it?

Does anyone have the exact QS CD versions numbers so that I can verify that they match? Are there more than one QS CD release of the Tommy Movie Soundtrack, and if so what are the numbers?

The number on the spine of my cd from 1993 is: 841 121-1

However, the cds themselves each have different numbers on them.

DISC ONE: D202988D1
(314 519 997-2)

DISC TWO: D202988D2
(314 519 998-2 )

Hope that helps.

The number on the spine of my cd from 1993 is: 841 121-1

However, the cds themselves each have different numbers on them.

DISC ONE: D202988D1
(314 519 997-2)

DISC TWO: D202988D2
(314 519 998-2 )

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the numbers. The Tommy version I received - that is supposed to be a 1993 version, has the SAME exact numbers on my 2 Discs. The number on the spine is the same except for the last number.
My Spine says it's a: 841 121-2 instead of 841 121-1 which you have. On both discs and on the back upper right corner of CD case - claim to have been manufactured by BMG. I'm guessing they come from the same master but this release might have come from mail order subscription service when BMG used to advertise in the Sunday newspapers on the back page of the "Parade" section for instance - so many CDs for a buck if you agree to buy more later sort of thing.

I'm still wondering how this 1993 CD compares to the 2001 CD remaster as well as the original 1970s record release as far as Quad sound goes.

Wow, you are correct. I just checked my album and found the same thing. That's unfortunate because the Overture is one of the few songs performed by all members of the Who. I would guess that 2 L.P.s couldn't fit everything, and that this song became the casualty.

A quick search reveals that "Polydor 2001 561" is a 7" record with the "Overture fromTommy" on it.

Does your cd decode as good as the L.P.? My L.P. is kinda rough, so I can't compare the two.

just a thought go here. you can get a real good lp copy of Tommy. 200 g vinyl or 150 g / dvd-a / sacd http://store.acousticsounds.com/search_results.cfm?category=Any&Field=All&searchtext=tommy

Just decoded the first track, "Overture From Tommy" from the 2000 remaster ( 841-121-2 ), and it indeed decodes, sadly the stereo feed is block-wall sound, but hey, that's the loudness war for you!

I don't know how it compares with the 1993 CD or the LP, but there is a definite quad effect there when it's decoded!

I have 4 different Tommy LPs, plus the movie on vhs.

The Polydor LP is indistinguishable from the movie. I A-B-ed to find out. So it is QS. Polydor would not label it QS because its parent company at the time had decided to use CD-4.

The Ode recording was done with the London Symphony Orchestra. It is in QS. I have one copy that is labeled QS and another that is not. I can't tell therm apart - they are the same recording.

The MCA recording of the original rock album is not marked, but it does seem to have some QS characteristics. These might be accidental.

So here is my big question of the day. Does anyone own Polydor 2001 561 and is it also QS?

Hummmm. What have we here? Tommy 001 (Medium).jpgTommy 002 (Medium).jpg

Great! The soundtrack LP is definitely QS, but it is missing the Overture. The Overture is on the Original CD's as QS decoded too. I was wondering if the 45 with the overture on it (Polydor 2001 561 ) is QS as well. If so I will need to track one down (oddly enough I almost remember having one but I can't find it).

This is the two (2) record album. The cover has ring wear, but the records are in VG condition. Will have to revisit this on my turntable.

If you have a good QS decoder, you should have a good surround experience with that.

Back