Tommy Soundtrack Quad Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R-Matrix is QS essentially. The R-Matrix (QS) on the SQD-2020 can be pretty good with some material. Give it a spin on R-Matrix!

Did Tommy sidetrack you?

Also, having a CD recorder makes life so much easier sometimes. It's nice to be able to record a CD the same way you would a tape.

Just a bit. Going to record Tommy onto a good R-R tape in Quad on the GX-270D-SS. That way I can play with it.

The CD-RW5000 is my backup or secondary CD player/recorder. I have two of them. This one is haveing a mechanical problem with the laser transport system.

I would say Tommy is probably one of the best "hidden gems" as far as unmarked quads though. I bet the overture 45 is quad too. I will have to get one (or find the one I'm pretty sure I already have. That is one of those things that I don't know if I have bought, or just looked at it in a store, do you ever have those moments?)

If the parts are cheap. Replace every moving part in there. Corkscrew motor, spindle motor, ribbon cables, heck, the whole laser caddy assembly if it's cheap enough. I've found it's better to replace every moving part in an optical drive and know it will work another 10-20 years.

For some reason the Decca release on the gold label seems to be far more common. I don't know if I've ever seen the Polydor release.

The Decca gold label is the original version from the original Who album (1969/1970). Not the one from the Polydor soundtrack to the movie (1975). The Decca is definitely not quad.

Much more challenging if I can repair this one. I spent 45 years as a diesel mechanic and machinist. I was a "rebuilder" not a parts changer that you see in the shops now-a-days.

'Tis nice to be retired though.

O K...Results of "playing with R to R recording of Tommy. Abslutely not QS or anything but Stereo. Album Polydor PD2-9502. Best I could get was the usual 3 db...

O K...Results of "playing with R to R recording of Tommy. Abslutely not QS or anything but Stereo. Album Polydor PD2-9502. Best I could get was the usual 3 db...

Thats odd. People seem to agree that its essentially the same quad mix of the music as used in the movie. You recorded it to reel to reel first and then decoded or did you record the decoded product to reel to reel?

But R-Matrix on the 2020 isn't really that hot cause Sony did not want to promote QS. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the RM/QS circuitry on the 2020 doesn't have any logic applied to it. So you would probably be looking at 3db seperation anyway I would imagine.

Recorded through the SQD-2020 R-M from a Dual 1229 with an AT14Sa into an Akai GX-270D-SS in 4 channel mode.

Back