Tommy Soundtrack Quad Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Romano said:
agreed. Stereo Only. Anything in the rear is a happy accident..... Wait.... What did I just say???:yikes

Okay Bob Ross ;)

But back to the subject at hand.

I wonder what source(s) OD used for the test (I hope he sees this and answers). I wonder if he used the LP or CD? If the CD was used it could have been a remaster. Knowing the way OD likes precision, I doubt he would use anything other than a copy that was purported to be quad (The LP or an early CD that was made from the original LP master), but I know he prefers to decode CDs when possible. Or could there be a slight chance in hell that one of the CDs could be quad if the LP and other CDs aren't?

I guess its so dissapointing that I hope that an unlikely error was made in testing. Especially after reading so many enthused reports that this is quad, how good it sounds and claims of A/B comparison with the quintiphonic soundtrack.

In the end i used FIVE different sources, one of which was a transfer of the japanese LP release. Every single one, which included the two CD releases, AND the original LP release, were bog standard stereo.

The only way i can see of ever getting the quad version of the soundtrack is to actually get a copy of the actual soundtrack. One lives in hope....................

oxforddickie said:
In the end i used FIVE different sources, one of which was a transfer of the japanese LP release. Every single one, which included the two CD releases, AND the original LP release, were bog standard stereo.

The only way i can see of ever getting the quad version of the soundtrack is to actually get a copy of the actual soundtrack. One lives in hope....................

I figured as much. Thanks for putting that rumor to rest. Somebody should get Mark to amend the discography.

I told him some time ago, along with a few others that aren't QS. I believe he's working on the popular listing now, so hopefully we'll see some corrections.

I have a little more on the Polydor records.

The first release had the QS encoding. Then Polydor signed with JVC for CD-4, and made a new mixdown of the album without the QS.

The Ode album with the pinball machine on it is not from the movie, but a stage play.

The Ode album with the pinball machine on it is not from the movie, but a stage play.

Actually, the all-star album came first, and the live performances (not a play) were to promote the studio album. Two shows on the same day with the album cast except Peter Sellers replaced Richard Harris - not two shows with two different casts as is often claimed.

The bootleg that goes around with a different cast was actually recorded 12 months later to mark the anniversary. Australian singer Ronnie Charles stood in for Richie Havens at one of these shows (probably the second).

There were two live performances in Australia, one in Melbourne and Sydney with a local cast except for Graham Bell who played the Lover on the album playing the Narrator and Keith Moon as Uncle Ernie at the Melbourne show only which was broadcast on television. It was definitely the Melbourne show that was broadcast and not the Sydney show as is claimed in the Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere book.

I have a little more on the Polydor records.

The first release had the QS encoding. Then Polydor signed with JVC for CD-4, and made a new mixdown of the album without the QS.

If this was true - and I am not saying it isn't - the album would have been a different mix to the film.

The film was QS + 1 with all the vocals in the centre track. Mute or delete the centre track and you get a karaoke version of the music. That obviously wouldn't work on the album. Some of the tracks on the soundtrack album may have been different takes to the actual film soundtrack as well.

Midimagic: "I have a little more on the Polydor records.

The first release had the QS encoding. Then Polydor signed with JVC for CD-4, and made a new mixdown of the album without the QS."

That does sound rather fanciful and i doubt it is true. Hasn't it already been proven that the lp was never qs encoded. This subject just will not die, will it.

Midimagic: "I have a little more on the Polydor records.

The first release had the QS encoding. Then Polydor signed with JVC for CD-4, and made a new mixdown of the album without the QS."

That does sound rather fanciful and i doubt it is true. Hasn't it already been proven that the lp was never qs encoded. This subject just will not die, will it.

The American release was definitely QS. It had plenty of separation when played through a QS decoder. As for Polydor signing with JVC for CD-4 in Japan, there were many record companies, such as King, Teichiku, even Toshiba (EMI) that did albums in RM or CD-4. They didn't stick to one system. Those that used SQ did that system exclusively. RM was essentially the same as QS, but a decoder only labeled RM didn't have the separation enhancements, like QS Vario-Matrix. The RM and QS matrices were the same, though, and most of the record companies that used RM employed Sansui encoders.

You mean like A&M which issued LPs in QS, SQ and CD-4?

I believe the only company in Japan that was exclusively SQ was CBS/Sony, along with its subsidiaries. The other companies used whichever system they deemed best for the particular recording. It wasn't unusual to see records which were released here in one system, offered in a different system in Japan. Vanguard Records, for example, used SQ for its American releases, but in Japan, the albums were released through King Records in QS. JVC was, as expected, exclusively CD-4.

I know of only 3 Japanese record companies that utilized SQ encoding.

SONY/CBS (exclusively)

WARNER/PIONEER (initially, then QS, and then CD-4), sorta what A&M did in the U.S.

TRIO/KENWOOD

You can catch a view of some of these discs on the "Whats your latest matrix disc"thread

There is an early TOMMY in QS thread in MARK Anderson's site on QQ.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?20978-TOMMY-THE-WHO-SOUNDTRACK-QS

fizzy

Back