TOMMY-THE WHO SOUNDTRACK-QS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken,

Yes he did state that their were a large number of Beach Boys albums in Dynaquad previously unknown.
And had them for down loads ,but just for a short while.....and then he rapidly pulled them.
To be fair though ,through my sleuthing on the Beach Boys , I too was suckered. Actually I was surprised at how many were mentioned . He had a couple of their disc's I never suspected.

Anyway the information from Stephen Desper was very confusing (for me) . And he did not engineer some of the suspected ones .
His method of a re -angeling of the 45/45 cutting lathe is still a mystery . I suppose it could cause some type of stereo expansion ,maybe a warble in lieu of a warpage .

I found his information a bit confusing as well. What I did get out of it is that his stereo expansion scheme decoded nice via Dyna Quad even if not intentionally Dyna encoded.

Yes Ken thanks,

RE DOG STYLE;
Someone on QQ straigtened me out about that being the working title for Coming Down Your Way .
I think it was the member from Castelgar B C .

I would love to know if they completed Joy To Tne World ,Best Of Three Dog šŸ• Night in Quad ?
That one contains some excellent hits.

:love:
I think that I mentioned that before as well, some time ago. It would of been nice if "Joy To The World -Their Greatest Hits" would of been released. Who knows if it was ever done. ABC/Dunhill had so many great albums in the early seventies it's such a shame that far more were never released in Quad. So many of them were recorded at Quadraphonic Sound Studio as well, only to see stereo only release.

He promoted his script, I think out of a desire for the glory, he never tried to sell them, he just wouldn't release them to us unworthy minions!

Yes he was wrong on occasion and would completely dismiss opposing points of view but I'm sure that he is correct about the Billingsgate albums. Lucifer's Friend was released much earlier in Europe about 1970 just before quad and is the same mix as the Billingsgate LP's! I too used to think "they were stereo pushed through an SQ Encoder . But they did a shitty job". The evidence indicates otherwise.

And yet it lites up my 101A , and should not if just stereo .

No matter it's a very amateurish job , and oh yes the original is 1970 ,but so are many CBS/Columbia SQ ALBUMS . Bitches Brew etc., or 69 like Supersession.

I think that I mentioned that before as well, some time ago. It would of been nice if "Joy To The World -Their Greatest Hits" would of been released. Who knows if it was ever done. ABC/Dunhill had so many great albums in the early seventies it's such a shame that far more were never released in Quad. So many of them were recorded at Quadraphonic Sound Studio as well, only to see stereo only release.

Yes and in Los Angeles at the Village Recorders .

Then of course how many went quad At Nashville's Quadrophonic Recorders :

I also wonder about James Gang- Straight Shooter. And For that matter so was Neil Young's Harvest.
And one from Joan Baez ,but that one surfaced .

And yet it lites up my 101A , and should not if just stereo .

No matter it's a very amateurish job , and oh yes the original is 1970 ,but so are many CBS/Columbia SQ ALBUMS . Bitches Brew etc., or 69 like Supersession.
But those Columbia albums were re-releases done in 1972, the Billingsgate LP's appear to be the very same as the originally released version, not remixed for quad. It's doubtful that Billingsgate would of gotten the masters from which to produce real encoded versions, they just released the stereo that was provided to them.

Checking Discogs it was released in Germany, Canada, New Zealand in 1970. Spain, Japan and the UK in 1971 all on the Philips label. Not until 1973 in the US on Billingsgate.

From what I can piece together, there were 2 Tommy movie soundtrack releases with different playing times, one was a surround mix that was labeled as QS encoded (on the shrink warp/paper wrap) and the other was an ambience type of surround mix that was QS encoded but not labeled in any way.

Does this sum up this situation?

Kirk Bayne

From what I can piece together, there were 2 Tommy movie soundtrack releases with different playing times, one was a surround mix that was labeled as QS encoded (on the shrink warp/paper wrap) and the other was an ambience type of surround mix that was QS encoded but not labeled in any way.

Does this sum up this situation?

Kirk Bayne
If any one has a song or two from these releases that they feel are QS and would be willing to share them, I'd love to take a look at them. So far I haven't been able to find any versions of this soundtrack that are encoded. There seem to be a lot of different releases of this one.

Yes and in Los Angeles at the Village Recorders .

Then of course how many went quad At Nashville's Quadrophonic Recorders :

I also wonder about James Gang- Staight Shooter. Ad For that matter so was Neil Young's Harvest.
And one from Joan Baez ,but that one surfaced .
But those Columbia albums were re-releases done in 1972*, the Billingsgate LP's appear to be the very same as the originally released version, not remixed for quad. It's doubtful that Billingsgate would of gotten the masters from which to produce real encoded versions, they just released the stereo that was provided to them.

Checking Discogs it was released in Germany, Canada, New Zealand in 1970. Spain, Japan and the UK in 1971 all on the Philips label. Not until 1973 in the US on Billingsgate.

Yep I know , it was on Phillips originally ,and as a collector of Kraut Rock that Phillips album cover impressed me.
But I never bought it.

FWIW They...... Billingsgate in Chicago ,had an ad in Billboard , and Billboard unknowingly gave those 2 SQ? albums a couple of mentions at the same time as Jimmy Smith's SQ album on MOJO Records. I made a note of that in my Billboard quad articles .

Also and more importantly, My Columbia Catalogue of SQ records (76/77) all labels , does not mention any of those 3 . But there are also a small number of CBS recordings missing . Perhaps they the CBS , were deleted earlier due to poor sales .

(Seastones/Ned Lagin on Round Records... is one not mentioned , fwiw)

*According to Billboard , the first SQ albums were released November 1971 in the U. S.
I also have an article from Electron Magazine Canada , touting the first SQ pressings in Canada .
And a myriad of dates for a variety of formats from Japan ,(as per Billboard).

Anyway back to Tommy in QS , Quintaphonic.

I wish I still had my Canadian version as it was spot on identical to the US copy I have. I suspect it was pressed in the U.S. as it even has the little warpage that both had. And very thin vinyl was used.

As to the QS QUINTAPHONIC Listomania on A&M Records , that's one I don't think I ever tried in QS . I know that Mr Mosley mentioned that soundtrack in one of his Quintaphonic articles.
And I might be wrong ,but I don't believe he did any others .

Dolby labs used QS on a few notable soundtracks , like Apocalypse Now , A Star Is Born(76) , Close Encounters of The Third Kind , and Star Wars .(others?)
They also used SQ for a very short time , and were told to cease and desist , as they did not have CBS' permission.

It's too bad they just didn't outright purchase the rights to either of Sansui's QS , or CBS's, SQ .

Dolby labs used QS on a few notable soundtracks , like Apocalypse Now , A Star Is Born(76) , Close Encounters of The Third Kind , and Star Wars .(others?)
They also used SQ for a very short time , and were told to cease and desist , as they did not have CBS' permission.

It's too bad they just didn't outright purchase the rights to either of Sansui's QS , or CBS's, SQ .

It wouldn't have done any good. Peter Scheiber had all of the rights to matrix systems in his patent.

It wouldn't have done any good. Peter Scheiber had all of the rights to matrix systems in his patent.

That's true to an extent .
SQ Tate audio , Fosgate , Audionics , and Aphex SQ seemed to manage just fine .I wonder what they had to pay Scheiber for the original matrix patent . And of course Dolby MP Matrix would've also had to pay a royalty fee to Scheiber. Unless they just paid him a one time settlement .
Me thinks QS , RM ,QX , QM , etc...... all out of Japan would be exempt as I believe he missed out on a Japanese patent.

Anyway back to Tommy in QS , Quintaphonic.

I wish I still had my Canadian version as it was spot on identical to the US copy I have. I suspect it was pressed in the U.S. as it even has the little warpage that both had. And very thin vinyl was used.

As to the QS QUINTAPHONIC Listomania on A&M Records , that's one I don't think I ever tried in QS . I know that Mr Mosley mentioned that soundtrack in one of his Quintaphonic articles.
And I might be wrong ,but I don't believe he did any others .

Fizzy, I don't think the soundtrack album has any encoding on it, as I've checked out a couple of tracks in the past. However, it would probably be worth taking a listen to the audio on the DVD, and maybe even better the VHS or laserdisc rips that were circulating on the web a few years back. Seeing as the theatrical releases had encoding on at least some of the prints, who knows what they used for those older releases. The audio on my DVD seems a little warbly at times.

My early 1990s experience with the soundtrack LP was with a Pioneer QX-747 receiver QS decoder, I was quite impressed by the apparent directionality of what was decoded (it may or may not have been QS encoded, I bought the LP shortly after seeing the movie in the fall of 1975).

I didn't own the soundtrack CD at that time and I didn't try my Tommy LaserDisc then either.

Kirk Bayne

Fizzy, I don't think the soundtrack album has any encoding on it, as I've checked out a couple of tracks in the past. However, it would probably be worth taking a listen to the audio on the DVD, and maybe even better the VHS or laserdisc rips that were circulating on the web a few years back. Seeing as the theatrical releases had encoding on at least some of the prints, who knows what they used for those older releases. The audio on my DVD seems a little warbly at times.

Well that's one thing I like about this forum.....we can agree to disagree, or vice versa.

Also that notation on the DVD is in reference to how they decoded it , the DVD? And not how it was encoded ??
I find that quite confusing ,fwiw. As I'm certain others must be.

Say BTW , how on earth do you think that the 1976 Bebop Deluxe BBC broadcast is encoded in MATRIX H ???
You are aware (are you not) that The BBC first commenced broadcasting Matrix H , April 30th ,1977 .

Sorry for the derail of Tommy ,but I've been meaning to ask you for some clarification a out that period of time .(Twilight Zone ?)šŸ‘½

Oh btw ,someone mentioned that Polydor (in Europe) never released any quad encoded albums .

Not true ,according to one listed in the Quad Discography.

Also was not James Last -Voodoo not a QS stealth Polydor Recording ,regardless of which Country it was released?

Oh btw ,someone mentioned that Polydor (in Europe) never released any quad encoded albums .

Not true ,according to one listed in the Quad Discography.

Also was not James Last -Voodoo not a QS stealth Polydor Recording ,regardless of which Country it was released?
Yes, the James Last "Voodoo Party" album was (reluctantly) released by Polydor at Last's insistence. They agreed to allow it only if they didn't have to promote the album as quad. That included not on the cover, nor the label. Polydor felt it would adversely affect sales if they did.

Well that's one thing I like about this forum.....we can agree to disagree, or vice versa.

Also that notation on the DVD is in reference to how they decoded it , the DVD? And not how it was encoded ??
I find that quite confusing ,fwiw. As I'm certain others must be.

Say BTW , how on earth do you think that the 1976 Bebop Deluxe BBC broadcast is encoded in MATRIX H ???
You are aware (are you not) that The BBC first commenced broadcasting Matrix H , April 30th ,1977 .

Sorry for the derail of Tommy ,but I've been meaning to ask you for some clarification a out that period of time .(Twilight Zone ?)šŸ‘½
Fizzy, I tracked down some downloads of Lisztomania. While I haven't been able to check out he audio, but the box of the laserdisc say "Dolby Surround", and the closing credits say "Dolby Stereo" . Getting on to the Bebop Deluxe from 1976, I'm having a senior moment here, but I can't remember us chatting about that particular show to any extent, so please refresh my memory. All I know about that one was that it was SQ, but haven't taken too close of a look at it, as it seems to have been decoded a bunch of times by folks all ready.

Yes, the James Last "Voodoo Party" album was (reluctantly) released by Polydor at Last's insistence. They agreed to allow it only if they didn't have to promote the album as quad. That included not on the cover, nor the label. Polydor felt it would adversely affect sales if they did.

Besides his 2 or 3 Q8's from Canada , it was rumoured that he may have had one or two other encoded (QS) recordings.

Anyone else have any information regarding this stark revelation ? Please share your thoughts .

BTW they may not be QS , but a Sansui type compatible format . Something akin to 4D maybe , or sound
quad-like , such as that from Q4 mixed down to Stereo.

Last edited:
Back