Too many Bluray audio discs being released 48Khz 24 Bit ????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezzalavell

QQ Supporter
Just a quick question anyone like to fill me in as to why we are seeing so many releases at just 48Khz ( just looking at the new FISH release) when we have so much data storage potential on Bluray
I cannot believe engineers are digitally recording at lower frequencies to save money :ROFLMAO:

Just a quick question anyone like to fill me in as to why we are seeing so many releases at just 48Khz ( just looking at the new FISH release) when we have so much data storage potential on Bluray
I cannot believe engineers are digitally recording at lower frequencies to save money :ROFLMAO:
All the new Atmos releases seem to be 48kHz as well.

I'd say still not enough music being released in unmolested 24 bit. And then a lot more after that with crude mastering moves making it loud and strident to the point that any format discussion is a moot point! Analogous to worrying about the color display for a black and white film.

Tip of the day:
If you have consumer grade DA converters that genuinely sound cleaner at HD sample rates vs SD sample rates, you can upsample. You're getting the full audio program with 48k. If there's some distortion artifacts from the low pass eq being right next to the audio band (the issue with SD), upsampling bypasses that passively.

You can down sample something to 48k. Upsample it back to 96k (lossy now). Null it against the original 96k source and it nulls down to 100db. You hear silence at any safe (for equipment and ears) listening level. Sounds identical in an A/B test. Just some wiggle in the meters below -100db. That really leads to looking for a different root cause when you hear something gross! Most of the genuine fidelity complaints are actually around mastering or lack thereof.

There ARE edge cases! Usually when generation loss starts stacking up from other causes upstream. But there are edge cases. I've literally never heard or experienced an edge case with 96k and even with program damaged from other generation loss. I record/mix/master at 96k whenever convenient. But the talk about SD sample rates like they are akin to 96k mp3 or something is just not reasonable. You heard something alright! It's not fallout from any limitation of 48k sample rate though.

Shame really because there is quite a lot of print out there discussing the merits of D-A converters distorting signals at CD level frequencies and not at 96Khz . Nice article below

44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz can you hear a difference? | Heron Island Studio
I skimmed through the article. To put bluntly, a pile of BS. So many incorrect statements, don't know where to start. Most consumer grade DACs can easily upsample the signal prior to converting.
To answer your original question: I think many realize the non existent benefit of using a final sample rate higher than 44 1 or 48KHz. The higher rates are more useful for intermediate processing.

Back