Topping DM7 multichannel USB DAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadregga

It really kicks butt in the distortion and noise department (as the Oppos did before it , using the ESS 9028 ).

Realistically priced too.

Note that the output to the amplflyer is balanced only.

Last edited:
This unit doesn’t appear to decode any proprietary multichannel formats (DTS, DD, Atmos, etc). So if you don’t mind me asking, what is the preferred application for this? Use it for DSD files and FLAC/WAV files only?

This unit doesn’t appear to decode any proprietary multichannel formats (DTS, DD, Atmos, etc). So if you don’t mind me asking, what is the preferred application for this? Use it for DSD files and FLAC/WAV files only?

I rip all my non-SACD (DVD-A/Bluray) multichannel audio discs to FLAC PCM (which implicitly fully decodes everything except Atmos - and even the Atmos discs always have a lossless 5.1 track and will just lack the height channels - which works for me, I don't have an Atmos setup anyway). It's a trivial process and frees me from needing largely pointless proprietary decoding support in my playback devices. There is no difference between e.g. a 5.1 TrueHD track and its corresponding decoded 5.1 FLAC PCM version, except the latter works everywhere with no hassle.

Unless you really want a physical Bluray/DVD transport and don't want to rip, decoding multichannel formats into PCM is trivial (again, except Atmos, which unlike all the others requires special metadata decoding to happen at playback).

So this is terrible for movies, or playing things directly off of DVD or Bluray discs without ripping first. But if you rip everything like I do it's a no-brainer.

It has two target markets.
1) People who are bi tri and quad amping where they use software in the PC to do all the dividing and it is sent to the DAC before going to the amplifiers (should be balanced input amps for this unit) and

2) Multi channel audio like we do here up to 7.1 . Once again all the decoding and separating has to be done in the computer that is driving it via USB. I don't know what USBs limits for sampling rate is when used for 7.1.

The unit CAN decode DSD up to a certain speed. Natively I think. I am interested in this item but I don't have one and it is not at the top of the want list.

It competes with the Okto devices from Prague which cost approximately double.
https://www.oktoresearch.com/
There is a similar ESI device from Germany for under $200 which has earlier chips and not as much performance and is unbalanced.
https://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaportex/

Last edited:
It has two target markets.
1) People who are bi tri and quad amping where they use software in the PC to do all the dividing and it is sent to the DAC before going to the amplifiers (should be balanced input amps for this unit) and

2) Multi channel audio like we do here up to 7.1 . Once again all the decoding and separating has to be done in the computer that is driving it via USB. I don't know what USBs limits for sampling rate is when used for 7.1.

The unit CAN decode DSD up to a certain speed. Natively I think. I am interested in this item but I don't have one and it is not at the top of the want list. It competes with the Okto devices from Prague which cost approximately double.

There is a similar ESI device from Germany for under $200 which has earlier chips and not as much performance and is unbalanced.
https://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaportex/
Agreed. To give more context, the ESI is at the upper end of a number of inexpensive single-ended (unbalanced) 8 channel USB DACs along with the discontinued miniDSP U-DAC8. At the upper end (and setting aside studio/pro devices), there are 8channel (many balanced) DACs from Okto (DAC8 Pro >$1200 and sporadically available), exaSound ($3999 and up) and Merging+NADAC (>>$10k).

For those invested in multichannel file playback, the Topping looks like an attractive option.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opping-dm7-8-channel-dac-review.35661/page-25Some of the things you can do with one of these are summarized in post number 489. There are already 26 pages of discussion at ASR. There are a lot of windbags that like to hold court there. On any even slightly interesting topic you blink twice and there are thirty pages of "content" much of which is what Andy Warhol used to call "wasted space". :rolleyes: ;)

I like the price point of the Topping especially given its stellar performance. And Okto has gotten mixed reviews on reliability and customer experience though I think they are mostly OK. Probably stretched thinly. The other units Kal mentioned look great but are more money than I am interested in spending. (Even though I consider myself pretty profligate)

What great news! A balanced 8 channel DSD-capable dac under $600! I am familiar with the Topping brand name, but what is their reputation for durability/quality, customer service, dealer network and, of course, sound quality/value? If no red flags then this is a perfect starter multichannel offering. (y)

Their reputation for quality is excellent. They are from mainland china and their "boss guy" John Yang is on Audio Science Review so you can message him directly. I don't know anything about their dealer network, I think they mainly sell direct. You can search them on ASR to find out more.

I asked Amir to measure the device performance converting to single ended output and he said he would before too long.

I rip all my non-SACD (DVD-A/Bluray) multichannel audio discs to FLAC PCM (which implicitly fully decodes everything except Atmos - and even the Atmos discs always have a lossless 5.1 track and will just lack the height channels - which works for me, I don't have an Atmos setup anyway). It's a trivial process and frees me from needing largely pointless proprietary decoding support in my playback devices. There is no difference between e.g. a 5.1 TrueHD track and its corresponding decoded 5.1 FLAC PCM version, except the latter works everywhere with no hassle.

Unless you really want a physical Bluray/DVD transport and don't want to rip, decoding multichannel formats into PCM is trivial (again, except Atmos, which unlike all the others requires special metadata decoding to happen at playback).

So this is terrible for movies, or playing things directly off of DVD or Bluray discs without ripping first. But if you rip everything like I do it's a no-brainer.

Thank you for this helpful response. This DAC would alleviate the headache of not being able to use my 2020 M1 Mac mini for lossless audio with my receiver (Mac crippled pass through of HDMI audio sources to 48Khz only). However, my multi-channel audio setup has to double as my home theater. So I guess this would not be a viable option for me.

Their reputation for quality is excellent. They are from mainland china and their "boss guy" John Yang is on Audio Science Review so you can message him directly. I don't know anything about their dealer network, I think they mainly sell direct. You can search them on ASR to find out more.
I have a couple of their Pre90s. They are great and I have not had any problems with them. However, most vendors are in China which, even with great service/support can be a pain. You can potentially moderate that pain by buy via Amazon and their buyer protections. There is one authorized Topping seller in the US (APOS.AUDIO) and one in France (Audiophonics.fr).

I have a couple of their Pre90s. They are great and I have not had any problems with them. However, most vendors are in China which, even with great service/support can be a pain. You can potentially moderate that pain by buy via Amazon and their buyer protections. There is one authorized Topping seller in the US (APOS.AUDIO) and one in France (Audiophonics.fr).
Yep, in the US at least, both color ( black or white) versions are available on Amazon with free shipping (not just Prime)...and if you take good care of the unpacking, you can return on Amazon within 30 days. A nice low risk intro for those sitting on the sidelines. :)

No restriction. It's standard USB. Any software that does multichannel PCM/DSD out (JRiver/Roon/etc) will work with it.
The question was really directed to @marpow cuz he seemed to be implying that using the D7 with JRIver was something unique. I was also interested in the response. Not sure what makes JRIver (don't get me wrong; a fave of mine and subject of several "getting started" videos I put out years ago) especially suited to this dac, more than, say, Roon or HQPlayer or Audirvana or etc etc.

The question was really directed to @marpow cuz he seemed to be implying that using the D7 with JRIver was something unique. I was also interested in the response. Not sure what makes JRIver (don't get me wrong; a fave of mine and subject of several "getting started" videos I put out years ago) especially suited to this dac, more than, say, Roon or HQPlayer or Audirvana or etc etc.
I was just talking, no real answer for ya.

Has anyone in the community picked up one of these. I suppose with Atmos being the big thing, it is a little late to the game. Too bad it doesn't offer two additional channels.

Back