HiRez Poll Tosh, Peter - LEGALIZE IT [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Peter Tosh - LEGALIZE IT

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD release. (n):phones(y)

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is a "Holy Grail" of SACDs, it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive now!!!(and I got mine as a "thank you" gift!...THANK YOU!!!)
The mix is not very discrete and the fidelity is so- so, but just having the title song in Surround is worth it...
My other fave is the Ketchy Shuby bonus instrumental..

Overall , a 7.....
:smokin:smokin:smokin

This is one of my favorite albums. I think the SACD does justice to this album. Yes, the SACD could be more discrete but there really aren't that many reggae albums in surround. Sure, we've been spoiled by the recent Bob Marley Legend but Legalize It was mixed back in 2001 when everyone was just figuring out what to do with 5.1 speakers.

Overall an 8

Igziabeher (Let Jah Be Praised), I just never grow tired of that song. So much soul. Peter, to me, lives on thru that song.

Peter was a terrific singer and it's a shame he had such a hard life and tragic ending. He was the only other reggae artist that could compete with Bob and dare I say was better than Bob many times. :)

Had this disc for couple of years now, but it never worked so good for me! By the way, I'm spinning the European edition (COL 494498 6) and Oppo-feeding my AVR with DSD.

The mix may be a bit subtle, but it's discrete and immersive at the same time and blends everything perfectly. Also fidelity is pretty great for a recording from 1976 - I dig the kick drum sound especially.

As a whole, it's not as stellar as the Legend collection by Bob Marley, but to me it deserves a strong 8 nonetheless.
Standout tracks: Legalize It, Burial, Whatcha Gonna Do, Ketchy Shuby.

revisiting this for the first time in a long time,
downrating from "8" (not sure what i was thinking/smoking at the time) to a "5".
i like the content and the sound isn't half bad (possibly as good as we'll get?).. so why the downgrade? well, i'm tempted to go lower still since to me the mix seems pretty much 5 channels of mono with an overloud Centre that sticks out in the mix while seemingly not doing anything that distinct or unique relative to the other channels. what a waste of the format! so a placeholder "5" for now and i'll go through the whole thing with a fine tooth dreadlock comb over the weekend.. legalize it or it oughta be illegal? make it a crime to be lonely or sad..! has it got nothing to be Guilty of? stay tuned my fellow Quaddies.. :smokin

revisiting this for the first time in a long time,
downrating from "8" (not sure what i was thinking/smoking at the time) to a "5".
i like the content and the sound isn't half bad (possibly as good as we'll get?).. so why the downgrade? well, i'm tempted to go lower still since to me the mix seems pretty much 5 channels of mono with an overloud Centre that sticks out in the mix while seemingly not doing anything that distinct or unique relative to the other channels. what a waste of the format! so a placeholder "5" for now and i'll go through the whole thing with a fine tooth dreadlock comb over the weekend.. legalize it or it oughta be illegal? make it a crime to be lonely or sad..! has it got nothing to be Guilty of? stay tuned my fellow Quaddies.. :smokin
WHAT were you SMOKING then, Freddie??

This is one of my favorite albums. I think the SACD does justice to this album. Yes, the SACD could be more discrete but there really aren't that many reggae albums in surround. Sure, we've been spoiled by the recent Bob Marley Legend but Legalize It was mixed back in 2001 when everyone was just figuring out what to do with 5.1 speakers.

Overall an 8

Igziabeher (Let Jah Be Praised), I just never grow tired of that song. So much soul. Peter, to me, lives on thru that song.

Peter was a terrific singer and it's a shame he had such a hard life and tragic ending. He was the only other reggae artist that could compete with Bob and dare I say was better than Bob many times. :)

this ^. I could see myself changing my vote from an 8 to a 9 just because Peter, if you know what I mean.

Back