Toshiba SY-504 CD-4 System Disc 4-Channel Demodulator up for sale

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
New Zealand . Hobsonville Rd. West Harbour
Hi. All

Another item on ...JAUCE AUCTION...Toshiba SY-504 CD-4 System Disc 4-Channel Demodulator if anybody`s interested , it`s going for 1000 yen. about $9.10 us. at the moment, about 4 days to go..
BBQ...

( https://www.jauce.com/auction/l686282892 )

i-img1200x900-16262490347nkdfg38610.jpg

i-img1200x900-1626249034ntowqc36604.jpg
i-img1200x900-1626249034r3rd8s11158.jpg

i-img1200x900-1626249034j1t7ra39566.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. All

Another item on ...JAUCE AUCTION...Toshiba SY-504 CD-4 System Disc 4-Channel Demodulator if anybody`s interested , it`s going for 1000 yen. about $9.10 us. at the moment, about 4 days to go..
BBQ...

( https://www.jauce.com/auction/l686282892 )

View attachment 69036
View attachment 69037View attachment 69038
View attachment 69039
Speaking of Toshiba.....
Have you ever checked that Toshiba SC-410
QM-unit from a while back? Would love to hear your experience with it.

Hi. All

BBQ...
There we go, m'man BBQ found this unit too! It ended up selling for about 252 USD with what appears to have been quite a competition of 24 bids.

That's my same question in my post for this auction. I'm young enough to never have heard of either a condenser cartridge, or a ceramic cartridge like we were talking about in the SH-3480 thread for that matter. I've heard that osmium and sapphire were used as cheaper solutions to diamond, but these two types/nomenclature are new to me. " 'Scuse me while I wipe some of this water out from behind my ears."

Yes, an electret material pretty much works like a condenser microphone except it doesn't need polarization. Its output varies by being flexed/vibrated and the capacitance varying along with it. When I worked for Telex, the hearing aid division used them in a product where a teacher would wear a transmitter and the hard-of-hearing students would wear the receivers, thus enabling them to amplify the teacher's words. The electret microphones are just small cylinders and can be installed in limited space applications.

A strain gauge changes its resistance when flexed/vibrated and so, if a current flows through it, the change in resistance modulates the current flow. It's kind of a variable resistor without a wiper, as it were.

Doug

I wish my SE-405 and SH-400 had master volume controls since recording levels on records aren't exactly consistent.

It really wouldn't be difficult to add that feature and if I were younger, I would probably do it but, with my eyesight and dexterity degradation at my age, I would hesitate.

Doug

I wish my SE-405 and SH-400 had master volume controls since recording levels on records aren't exactly consistent.

Doug
Yes, having at least a master volume control on any demodulator or decoder is very handy. Although the volume on my Sansui QS-D1000 is quieter than any other outboard unit I have, even when it's at maximum. So not all volume controls are made equal(!).

Yes, having at least a master volume control on any demodulator or decoder is very handy. Although the volume on my Sansui QS-D1000 is quieter than any other outboard unit I have, even when it's at maximum. So not all volume controls are made equal(!).

Yes, done correctly, a volume control should be just like the proverbial piece of wire in there when at maximum.

Doug

Back