HiRez Poll Tower of Power - AIN'T NOTHIN' STOPPIN' US NOW [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Tower of Power - AIN'T NOTHIN' STOPPIN' US NOW

• Total voters
hiya (i agree with everything you say wrt this lovely ol' Quad btw!) sorry for being a nosey parker but just re-read your post and just wanted to double check you have your rear speakers hooked up the right way round as the drums on this mix should be rear right and that delicious bass playing in the rear left?

Drums rear right and delicious bass rear left!

Legendary Tower of Power bassist Rocco Prestia dies aged 69

RIP Rocco.
Spinning this now digging the in-the-pocket lines from the LR corner.

It was observed recently these old quads mixed bass & drum in the rear corners for optimum listening while driving.
Larger speakers in the spacious rear deck over a big sealed trunk kicked butt relative to fronts.

If folks don't hear it at home on this record, tweaking bass management or location should make this one shine.
Very crankable with the Dutton re-mastering.

We Ought To Be Havin' Fun.

I actually listened to this one recently and it's aged well for me musically, not to mention that I have fond memories of it because it was part of D-V's first pop quad release (along with The Main Ingredient's Euphrates River) and the first liner note writing assignment I got.

It's still an 8 from me though, based on my reservations about the Dick Bogert/Warren Vincent mixing style though. It's sort of a "so close, yet so far" proposition - as it stands I can still reccomend this album (with reservations, but if it was mixed with the drums in stereo across the rear speakers and the bass guitar in the phantom rear center position, this would be an unequivocal home run on par with the Doobie Bros. quad mixes in terms of quality.

I'll risk a non-poll-related post on this thread since it's no longer terribly active and I figure it's the best place to reach TOP fans: there's a new 2-CD/DVD (or standalone DVD) release coming out in March--the web page below erroneously says January 29th--of a 50th-anniversary 2018 concert in Oakland. No word as to whether the DVD includes a 5.1 mix.

https://www.mackavenue.com/store/art7078
You can also order direct from the band:

https://towerofpower.com/store?category=ToP 50th Anniversary
And there will be a special on PBS airing February 27th.

Last edited:
I actually listened to this one recently and it's aged well for me musically, not to mention that I have fond memories of it because it was part of D-V's first pop quad release (along with The Main Ingredient's Euphrates River) and the first liner note writing assignment I got.

It's still an 8 from me though, based on my reservations about the Dick Bogert/Warren Vincent mixing style though. It's sort of a "so close, yet so far" proposition - as it stands I can still reccomend this album (with reservations, but if it was mixed with the drums in stereo across the rear speakers and the bass guitar in the phantom rear center position, this would be an unequivocal home run on par with the Doobie Bros. quad mixes in terms of quality.

knowing what can happen with SQ and Centre Back Stereo imaged info., it feels unlikely Bogert & Vincent would mix a Quad with phantom Centre Back information for anything that might ultimately end up on the SQ system.. hence Bogert's usual Quad mixing approach? 🤔

i stick by my belief that if speakers are positioned in a certain way (i'm not saying necessarily a right or wrong way.. the CBS Quad Gala SQ LP has a rough visual of a layout that i find works well for these types of Bass/Drums in the Rears mixes and it isn't the common speaker setup for 5.1) and if Audyssey MultEQ is shut Off, the Rears in this style of mix shouldn't draw unnecessary attention to themselves.. maybe 😄

Resurrecting an old post/thread but I have to wonder if with this mix they didn’t simply pull out the bass and drums and stick them in the rear and leave the fronts the same as the rest of the stereo mix?

However the method, I would call this mix lazy, at best, and arguably not even ‘mixing’ the album. If you wouldn’t stick the drums all the way to one speaker in a stereo mix, why on earth would anyone think it to be a good idea in quad?

It’s the quad equivalent of early twin-track Beatles albums — which arguably are a worse listening experience than the mono versions — but at least they had a technical excuse for doing this. (No other viable option!)

Fantastic, I somehow missed this when it first came out or else decided to pass it by, worried that it was proto disco? Thankfully it is more soul than anything else. Reading here about bass and drums in the rear I was all in!

Soundwise it's excellent, very bass heavy but not not muddy or boomy sounding. The mix is fantastic, very immersive. And the performance excellent as well, I didn't expect it to be this good. So a Ten!

Back