HiRez Poll Townsend, Devin - EMPATH [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Devin Townsend - EMPATH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
The visual and audio content of this is very good not a discrete mix, but I don't think with this kind of music Devin could have done this kind of mix. I didn't,t have the patience to go through the big hour and half lesson on how he did the mix, only Devin can do this. The animation is incredible.

music 9
mix 8
content 9

I got the Empath and Lightwork boxed sets in reverse order, not sure if this had an impact on my appreciation for them individually.

The music and visuals on the Empath bluray are ambitious, but ultimately as a casual Devy fan I'm filing this entire album as a curiosity. The level of ambition doesn't outshine the lack of cohesion. There's no shortage of musical brilliance and the visuals are certainly plentiful, spanning the entire album. The printed liner notes and lyrics are also very well done. This is top notch production on every level.

IMHO Lightwork was a much more approachable and enjoyable package.

As far as surround mix, the fundamentals here are super solid. Devin does a good job preserving dynamics for the 'big hits' and moments where layering instrumentation aids in building to a climax. It's not all "in your face", and it shouldn't be. There are discrete elements, and some well positioned musical easter eggs. Like with Lightwork, I'd be denying the accomplishment in the overall mix and presentation giving it anything less than a 10. Where Lightwork succeeded musically, and pulls up a bit short on presentation, Empath seems too focused on aesthetics and I feel more time spent aiding the listener with bread crumbs or some sort of musical glue would have gone a long way towards elevating this as high art, rather than prog metal oddity.

Back