HiRez Poll Townsend, Devin - EMPATH [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Devin Townsend - EMPATH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 release from Devin Townsend entitled "Empath", available as a 2CD/2 Blu-Ray deluxe set from InsideOut records with a 5.1 surround mix of the album.

(y) :) (n)

61LheIVu6EL._SL1500_.jpg

61cmT5DsDUL._SL1231_.jpg

71VZLFAKNHL._SL1500_.jpg

81mChBotLbL._SL1500_.jpg

81EIkDYDeJL._SL1500_.jpg

81zKJ2FfpML._SL1500_.jpg

8179qdJpiqL._SL1500_.jpg

I am immensely impressed by this release. It's not just the music, or the surround mix, they are excellent of course, but as a visual presentation it's on another level. Each track has it's own unique animated video that adds to the enjoyment. The visuals for first track 'Genesis' will have your head spinning and it keeps on going after that. After 75 minutes of this I was exhausted :D.
The second Blu-Ray has a lot to offer too including a fairly lengthy guide to how Genesis was mixed for surround, quite a revelation. Do all surround mixes get the same micro-mixing treatment?
How I'll feel after I've watched the visuals a few dozen times I couldn't say, but the music will be a favourite for a long time.

I had to go with a 10 as well. There's an awful lot of music here in this wonderful package, the main 75 minute album on a surround blu-ray (complete with superb video accompaniments), a further 10 tracks that didn't make the album on an extra cd, and an acoustic solo live gig on video. Plus various documentaries on one of the 2 blu-rays. The book is nice too!

The surround mix is excellent, there's a lot going on everywhere (y) :rocks. I agree with what Ian said above, to listen (and watch) all in one go is exhausting!

The mix is very dynamic, very quiet and very loud. With the wife and kids being here pretty much all day, every bloomin' day (curse you covid 19), I haven't yet been able to listen to this mega loud, but its sounding nice at average volume as I type this.

Really surprised by the lack of activity on this thread. I played it 'mega loud' yesterday and I was again left speechless by the huge scale of this artistic tour de force! Not exhausted this time, energized.
May be because many of us here haven't even gotten it yet. Still waiting for mine to show up (forget the release date for here?)

Hmmm. Maybe I should give this a chance. For some reason, the promo stuff of his I've checked out hasn't ever grabbed me.
It took me several attempts to get what he does. I wasn't too keen on what seemed to be relentless pile-driver drumming, then I saw a solo performance on YouTube and I was astonished. What a voice!

This release is truly amazing.
It will take you on a hell of a ride.
So batten down the hatches, as you will need to be in your own space to take all Devin has given you.
And boy does he give!!
He has put every sinew into producing one of the most eye catching and ear splitting masterpieces I can ever recall.
Follow this Devin!!
And it takes awhile to absorb all there is, such is the man's intensity in making sure you won't forget this release in a hurry.
Needless to say it's a 10

Got mine today finally in California. Wow this an amazing package and the visuals set to this wonderful discrete 5.1 mix make this one of the most amazing surround experiences I’ve ever had. I loved his music before this album and heard the album before (stereo) but WOW this takes everything to a new level. Was afraid this album wouldn’t move me and boy was I wrong. It is super heavy in places but I love that too! A perfect 10 for Devy upping the standard package by a mile. The lyric/picture book is awesome too... and I haven’t even touched the extras!!!

My first ever purchase/listen to Devin Townsend, based solely on the strength of the comments here and the description of the deluxe package.

It's huge, in every sense of the word, and is incredibly powerful and eclectic: Death metal in (few) places (think "Opeth") but orchestrated. And with choirs and choral sections. And lots of special effects. All in one song!
😮
I'm really not sure what to make of the music yet, but I played it through twice straight, and that says something. It's a lot to take in, but I like it and am certainly pleased that I took the advice on here.

As others have commented, it also has a full video track to go with the music and I'm reminded somewhat of Koyaanisqatsi. With metal. Progressive, in the real sense of progressive. The fantasy artwork in the book is also superb; it's rather Woodroffe-esq.

The surround mix is very, very good, but I think it shows that it's his first one. The immersive quality and the power is immense; it wants to be played loud and the superb production/mastering means it's very crank-able. But I whilts the rears get a lot of action from instrumentation effects and special effects, they come across a little low in the mix to me, and instrumentation/vocals could be a quite a bit more discrete; just as an example there are a lot of secondary vocal parts that would, imho, have been much better placed in the rears.

Having said that there's no doubt that it's a masterful achievement for his first surround mix, and it sounds from the liner notes that there's at least one other "The Moth" on it's way.

I'm going to hold off voting until I've listened on my second system, but it's feeling right now like a 7 or 8, probably 8 because the overall package is an absolute work of art.

I liked 'some' of it but I didn't enjoy the orchestral stuff at all, not my cup of tea. The 5.1 mix is good

30% SURROUND MIX - Very exciting, and as his first an amazing glimpse into his potential. 8/10 = 2.4
30% AUDIO FIDELITY - You can play this at any level ... well when the Mrs. is out. 10/10 = 3
30% CONTENT - The album is great, not everyone's cuppa but I dig the range and emotions of it. 10/10 = 3
10% OVERALL PACKAGE - It deserves more than a single point. The package is outstanding, heck the documentary watching him mix a song in 5.1 and his thinking will make you appreciate his vision even if you disagree with it. 10/10 = 1

9.4 rounded to 9
I can't stress enough, the video of his mixing Genesis is worth the price of admission.
The Acoustic set is a great bonus.
My BR4 has an issue that causes me to need to exchange it so I can't watch the album commentary doc yet.
I wish he would release Ki in a similar package.

I feel bad not giving it a 10, but Neil made some great points about the backing vocals and some additional motion with those would make this an easy 10.

I had another full listen to this tonight. The music is certainly growing on me as I get to understand it, and there are some really superb and immense themes in the there. I'm left wanting to play it more, which is a good sign.

His 5.1 mix is actually much more discrete than I first gave it credit for, but it appears to me to be mixed very differently from the norm. It's like he's "micro-mixed" the phrases and sections that make up the songs across the surround field, rather than the more usual approach of mixing tracks/instruments to discrete channels. It works well for his "wall of sound" type of music, but it can sound like a (very good) upmix rather than a more "traditional" discrete mix.

Going to have to listen more before casting judgement, but it's now at least an eight. :)

Back