HiRez Poll Townsend, Devin - LIGHTWORK [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Devin Townsend - LIGHTWORK

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
I gave Lightwork a 9. I like the mix. A lot of activity in the rears. Music is very catchy. Very happy with the purchase. Visuals are great. This is my first Devin Townsend purchase. It led me to order the artbook of Empath a couple days later. So far, I like Lightwork better.

I like the music better than his previous album Empath, there are 2 CDs in this set, Lightwork & Nightwork, only Lightwork is presented on the Blu-ray. The surround mix is not bad at all but I find the Sub really overblown, I had to turn it down 5dB to be able to tolerate it compared to other stuff I've been listening to lately (Big Big Train - Summer Shall Not Fade, Red Noise (well everything really)) so I'm docking points for that. I do like the illustrations and videos that accompany the music.

I gave a 9:

Pros:
- The music.
- Great work with rear speakers.

Cons:
- The pop-up menu sometimes is unable to be viewed. Bad idea to put a simple black text, you have to wait until a clear image is on the screen for watching the menu.
- I had no time to compare both mixes (stereo and surround) quietly, however I think some sounds get lost in the surround mix. For example, in "Celestial Signals" the female voice (Anneke van Giersbergen I think) is clearly audible in the stereo mix but it's hard to find it in the surround.
- I would like Nightwork would have been included in the BD too. The BD size is 15 GB, so it's not a capacity matter.

Neutral:
- Although the artbook is really nice, it seems the Bluray production is cheaper than Empath one. I liked more the visualizations of Empath but maybe they decided to reduce costs for Lightwork. I remember Empath artbook more expensive so for me it's ok if they decided not including a bonus BD or expensive computer generated images, I bought the earbook for the surround mix, not the cartoons.

Yes, pretty much agree with the above, and so a nine also. In his recent promo youtube presentation for this, Devin pretty much indicates he feels he could do better, and will do so, once he has his own studio fit for purpose, atmos-wise. So, I'm expecting tens from now on HevyDevy!

I'm voting 9. Very good production, as is usually the case with Devy. Really good mix considering Devin hasn't done many surround mixes. I'm expecting he'll get even better in the future.

The music is more catchy that the majority of Devin's work. It's good, but not his absolute best IMHO. Others may prefer this side of Devy.

I'd actually love for him to revisit his past work in surround. Imagine Terria, Ki, or even Ghost in surround!

This is the 9 vote cast. Let's get it to 10 folks!

I can't find fault with this mix (stereo or surround). It's not breaking any new ground in surround mixing or presentation, but it does the visual and audio representation at a very high level. There's a lot of discrete elements and great use of dynamics. He's clearly aiming for an immersive mix, not a room spinner. I'd give it a 9.5 but rounding up I have to be fair and give it a 10. There's better 'reference material level' surround mixes, but not too many sound better and as consistently good from start to end as this.

Fwiw, "Call of the Void" is a ridiculously beautiful song.

Back