Track configuration for QR?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I have just gotten my hands on my first quad reel-to-reel. It is Artur Rubenstein's recording of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 (RCA ERQ1-0031-QF). I don't have a reel-to-reel player that is specifically for quad, but I do have a Tascam 34 4-track reel-to-reel recorder/player. What I find confusing is that it seems that tracks 1 and 3 are primarily direct sound and tracks 2 and 4 are hall ambience. I would have guessed that tracks 1 and 2 were front left and right, but perhaps that is not correct. Should tracks 1 and 3 correspond to front left and right on a quad reel-to-reel tape?

J. D.

on quarter track tape, tracks 1 and 3 are always the left and right stereo of a quarter track tape going forwards and tracks 2 and 4 are always the other side going backwards.

as quad follows the same pattern, then yes , tracks1 and 3 are the fronts and 2 and 4 are the rears.

Teac A3440 s machines have this configuration on the back panel and front panel to avoid confusion.

In cassette tape however, it was tracks 1 and 2 as a group and 3 and 4

Perhaps you need to demagnetize your tape deck heads. You can still find head demagnetizers on EBay, sometimes for a few dollars.

MTGC (Michael)

Back