Track Rearrangements - stereo vs quad vinyl

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

Hey, I just noticed that the quad vinyl of 'Nilsson Schmilsson' has a different song order that its stereo equivalent. 'Without You' is the last song on side 1 instead of being the first song on side 2. Of course with 8-tracks, song order got moved around all the time, but I don't recall ever seeing that with vinyl releases. Anyone know why they would have done that? Any other examples lurking out there?

Hey, I just noticed that the quad vinyl of 'Nilsson Schmilsson' has a different song order that its stereo equivalent. 'Without You' is the last song on side 1 instead of being the first song on side 2. Of course with 8-tracks, song order got moved around all the time, but I don't recall ever seeing that with vinyl releases. Anyone know why they would have done that? Any other examples lurking out there?
That would have been done to better balance out the length of the two sides. CD-4 playback can be troublesome on the innermost grooves so they try to cut the tracks more toward the outside of the disc. Jump Into the Fire is double the length of the other tracks so by moving one track to side one frees up space on side two. Early Japanese releases actually left one or two tracks off of the CD-4 release.

I noticed this on the (RCA CD-4/BMG CD/DV SACD) Love Theme from the Godfather:
CD released in 1999 by BMG Spain - S1 - tracks 1 & 2 switched (I didn't check the track order when I made the first CD-R for my car, I went back and switched 1 & 2 so the CD-R would match the CD-4 LP order).

Kirk Bayne

I noticed this on the (RCA CD-4/BMG CD/DV SACD) Love Theme from the Godfather:
CD released in 1999 by BMG Spain - S1 - tracks 1 & 2 switched (I didn't check the track order when I made the first CD-R for my car, I went back and switched 1 & 2 so the CD-R would match the CD-4 LP order).

Kirk Bayne
Also international releases (stereo) often differ in track sequencing and even tracklist from the US version.

Last edited:
Back