Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - Atmos (11/25/2022) - STREAMING ONLY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the Apple Music Low Spark Atmos stream is ok but not great.
I have to agree with @ted_b.
Many of us know this album like the back of our hands and although we appreciate a Atmos mix it needs to be perfect.
I don't like main instruments getting parked in rear speakers. Sax in Low Spark rear left irritated me. Lead guitar rear right Light Up---irritated me.
Rhythm, congas, flute on various songs didn't bother me as much.
Overall heights on the weaker side.
Biggest flop track was actually Low Spark, other tracks all sounded better.
Best was Rainmaker? Very poor in the heights but the multichannel on the floor was sublime.
Positives, excellent sonic clarity, was able to hear a couple nuances I have not heard before. Good use of echo vocals on some tracks.
Regardless of anything, it is a masterpiece album and although the Atmos streamed release is not perfect it is still better than stereo.
I wanted to add one other thing, it seems that at the end of many of the songs, when the vocals leave is when the Atmos (height speakers) kick in the best.
Is that because the mixer now does not have to contend with the vocals and can better concentrate better on the overall mix?

Last edited:
Not going to argue with how anyone else feels about this, but I agree with @marpow on Rainmaker, I think it is the standout track.
Overall the placement of the instruments was fine with me. Maybe it was just to have an immersive mix finally after all these decades? Maybe. Lord knows I've upmixed this album many times with varying degrees of success. I'll be listening more in the weeks to come and see if my opinion changes.

Like many here, I've been listening to this album since it came out and I'm sure I've listened at minimum 100's of times from 8 track, LP & CD.

I finally got to play this full through today. I was mostly happy with it. I run 5.1.4 and I was not disappointed with the discreteness. The fidelity is good but not great, but the original release was the same way. Overall it could have been a lot worse. I have to put it in the lower end of my top 10 Atmos albums that I'd actually care to listen to again. It significantly improves on the stereo experience.

So onward. If the suits are listening how about some Barleycorn? Maybe some solo Winwood? Arc of a Diver could be great. And the full Back in the Highlife album ....

Bring it

The fidelity is good but not great, but the original release was the same way.
Agreed. I saw someone comparing this to The Dead's American Beauty upthread and though it is of the same vintage, it's never sounded as good as that album. There's always been some flaws in the recording, such as the lead vocal distorting throughout "Light Up Or Leave Me Alone".

Agreed. I saw someone comparing this to The Dead's American Beauty upthread and though it is of the same vintage, it's never sounded as good as that album. There's always been some flaws in the recording, such as the lead vocal distorting throughout "Light Up Or Leave Me Alone".
I had been listening to Europe '72 all last week and this sounds like weak sauce in comparison. But after a few more listens the fact that this is a vastly superior album makes me not care.

Oh. Dudes and Dudettes, give me anything Winwood. He is one seriously talented guy. I know he's mainly a keyboard guy, but he can kick butt on the guitar as well.
I was reading an interview with him after the concert with Clapton at MSG, and he said it was decided they would go with mostly Clapton material because of his enormous output of songs. I was thinking, seriously dude? That may be true but I rate "little Stevie" right up there.

This one seems to be bringing out a variety of opinions. Personally I think it sounds great and exceeded my expectations. On the title track, the drums, bass and piano are spread across the front providing a nice anchor, and then everything else seems to float in space. In my setup, vocals floating somewhere above the front speakers and slightly forward. I usually prefer lead vocals firmly in the front and center but I think this works here. Bongos over my left shoulder, sax far off over my right shoulder. I really like how handclaps in the first instrumental break float around overhead. Fidelity seems really good to me especially considering the vintage of the recording. This one’s a keeper to me.

Does anyone have a date for a Amazon Music release....I'm sure I'm like other people here and have been waiting their entire lives for this release in Dolby Atmos....Was this album ever mixed in Quad?
Sure would like to hear a Dolby Atmos remix of the first 2 albums......

Back