HiRez Poll Tragically Hip, The - ROAD APPLES [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Tragically Hip - ROAD APPLES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 reissue of the classic album "Road Apples" by the Tragically Hip.
This new 30th anniversary edition contains new 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes of the "Road Apples" album and the "Saskadelphia" EP.
The Dolby Atmos mixes are also streaming on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/road-apples-2021-remaster/1593179010
(y) :) (n)

612KApHHurL._SL1200_.jpg

61MjPQnQBVL._SL1200_.jpg

81yOuQhYihL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
A few comments. I've never heard this band, and as a result, never heard this album. So, likely my vote will not reflect how I feel about the music itself. Doesn't seem fair...or does it.

I like it.

As far as the surround mix, etc. The fidelity to my ears is excellent. I'd vote a 9 on fidelity. Really punchy bass, and not at all bright. Which is nice. Regarding the surround mixes. It's a safe mix. I feel like it's a bit immersive, better at higher volumes. Discreet stuff? I mean, sitting in my main spot, I don't hear it. I only hear a very wide, immersive mix. I switched between Atmos and 5.1, I can't tell a lot of difference.

That said, I did try the stereo layer and holy shit. It's way too loud, compared to the multi-channel layers.

So, I'm voting an 8. Fidelity is top shelf. If you like the band, I'd say this is a no brainer. The 5.1, 7.1, Atmos sound WAY better than the 2 channel version.

Jan 9 2022 edit! Listened a bit deeper this morning. I think for the dedicated QQ surround fans, you would say this is a below average surround mix. Meaning, what I'm mostly hearing is likely "big stereo" type surround. Again, it's a pleasant listen, and it's full. Nothing in terms of discreet...at all. I believe I'll lower my score to a 7.

Last edited:
I have not heard much of this band before.
But after listening to the Dolby Atmos version on Tidal i felt that i needed this in physical form.
I do not regret buying it because it sounds really good i think.
I really liked the extra material also as there is some live material which i really wanted to hear from the band and the audio on the cds are very good.
I will listen to this more carefully to hear if my 9 was the right verdict from me but at the moment it feels very right.

My first listen in Atmos was mainly positive. @GOS more or less nailed the review. There are few standout discrete moments, though I'd say the mellower, layered arrangement of Fiddler's Green showcases reasonably good separation and part placement. The fidelity frankly kicks ass on my system. No guarantee for a Dicky Chycki project. I love The Hip, but had somehow overlooked their sophomore album.
Glad I've heard it. I shall again, to be sure. After a deeper and louder Atmos listen I might give a more detailed review.
But for now, streaming or physical, give this one a shot if you like good ol' Rock n' Roll.

I rather like this album . And upon 2nd listen through, in 5.0 , she sounds even better than I thought.

I would've liked more guitar in a rotational type of Surround, but I can't complain.

And I think Richard Chycki did a fine job with the overall mix.

I wasn't totally familiar with the whole album ,but a few tunes stand out. Most of my Hip experiences were with my Daughter who wanted to hear them and needed someone to go to the concerts(2).

It will get more listening ,that I can guarantee.

;)
It's worth more than an eight ,so I recommend it for all you alt/rock fans.
I'm giving it an upside-down six. :giggle:

The expectations from the spatial mix were great, but the result is not amazing. Interesting discrete elements are missing. I see it similarly to a GOS user.

I hadn't even heard of the band, let alone heard their music, so just did a quick listen, loved the music and I had a lot of unused Amazon gift cards from Xmas which I hadn't used. So I've ordered the Box for a shade under £103. I'll post my review after its arrived.

It might help to bear in mind that the intent of the mix is to mainly recreate the sound of the band jamming live in the big room of the mansion.
IIRC, that is what Chycki was asked to do.
I love discrete, Yoshimi type albums, but that doesn't suit all material or situations.

The Atmos is subtle, it's a beautiful and lush sound. The music is fantastic. I sure love it and voted 9.

I'm with GOS - I really didn't take to the surround mix either Atmos or 5.1, but I am blown away by the fidelity - it really does SOUND crystal clear and a 2.0 mix down is something I currently have available on my streaming network.

I went with 6/10, the cons are the mastering on the stereo and for me what I consider to be a poor surround mix.

Reactions: GOS
Back