HiRez Poll Train - MY PRIVATE NATION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Train - MY PRIVATE NATION

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Good, pop-rock music. Better lyrics than most. The sound quality was a disappointment to me. It's not awful - but not particularly good.

OK, it's not awesome - but not particularly bad. Actually, if I wouldn't find out it's a Didia mix eventually, I'd probably round it up to an 8.

No problem with the sound quality though and the rears definitely get their share (at least for this kind of band). Also, the mix is far from conservative and no one trick pony.

Glad I own it - there's not much rock&pop in MC around. Fave tracks: When I Look to the Sky & I'm About to Come Alive.

On the basis of just one listen (held out on getting the SACD all these years) its nowhere near as bad as I'd read over the years.. in fact, I'd go so far as to say its the best Nick DiDia surround mix I've yet to hear!

this is a very effective mix thats sympathetic to the music. I'm very pleasantly surprised at the discrete rear activity (there's crunching guitars, harmony and backing vocals, synths etc) and the sound quality's better than the CD - still a bit bright but the mid-range (acoustic guitars and vocals in particular) is a real highlight.

I'll give it a few more plays before I vote here but so far I'm thinking a "7".. maybe an "8".. much better in every regard than I was expecting.

Just got this in the mail. I actually don't mind the album--typical early-2000's pop/rock with a couple of decent songs--but this disc is an utter waste of 5.1 and the SACD format. Maybe the worst-sounding Multichannel SACD in my collection. The rears (and center) do contain some interesting isolated elements, but they're so overpowered by the absolutely crushed front channels that you can barely hear them most of the time. Case in point, check out the waveform below from the first track, "Calling All Angels".

Calling All Angels SACD 5.1.jpg

Interestingly enough, the combined dynamic range value of all six channels in DR12. But if you look at the results for each channel, here's what you get (rounded to the nearest whole number):

FL: DR7
FR. FR6
C: DR13
LFE: DR17
RL: DR15
RR: DR14

The surround mix itself seems haphazard and honestly just lazy at times. For instance, in "Calling All Angels", all that's present in the rears is a random isolated synth note in the left rear and a vocal harmony over the chorus. These are kind of cool to hear on their own, but isolating them in the rears doesn't really seem to add anything to the experience. Some of the other songs have slightly more creative uses of the extra channels, but the over-compressed fronts make this disc pretty much unlistenable for me.

Going with a "3". One point for the music, one point for existing in surround, and the last point for the gold slipcover my $13 used copy came with.

Just got this in the mail. I actually don't mind the album--typical early-2000's pop/rock with a couple of decent songs--but this disc is an utter waste of 5.1 and the SACD format. Maybe the worst-sounding Multichannel SACD in my collection. The rears (and center) do contain some interesting isolated elements, but they're so overpowered by the absolutely crushed front channels that you can barely hear them most of the time. Case in point, check out the waveform below from the first track, "Calling All Angels".

View attachment 49418

Interestingly enough, the combined dynamic range value of all six channels in DR12. But if you look at the results for each channel, here's what you get (rounded to the nearest whole number):

FL: DR7
FR. FR6
C: DR13
LFE: DR17
RL: DR15
RR: DR14

The surround mix itself seems haphazard and honestly just lazy at times. For instance, in "Calling All Angels", all that's present in the rears is a random isolated synth note in the left rear and a vocal harmony over the chorus. These are kind of cool to hear on their own, but isolating them in the rears doesn't really seem to add anything to the experience. Some of the other songs have slightly more creative uses of the extra channels, but the over-compressed fronts make this disc pretty much unlistenable for me.

Going with a "3". One point for the music, one point for existing in surround, and the last point for the gold slipcover my $13 used copy came with.

wow.. 😱 .. so its as bad as his other mixes!

looks like its a repeat of Devils and Dust? slammed Fronts, muted Centre, LFE & Rears..

oh how young(ish) and foolish i was all those years ago! getting into the old Quads in a big way the last few years really helped my comprehension and appreciation of what a good surround music mix could/should be.

i'll have another play of this soon.. i would say i feel a revised low vote coming on but i never voted in the first place! maybe i sobered up in time before voting that "7" or "8" in 2013.. haha.. 😂

Back