Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe (5.1 Mix & Other versions)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alansanchez86

701 Club - QQ All-Star
TRANSATLANTIC - the Prog Supergroup of Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Roine Stolt & Pete Trewavas – are pleased to announce their fifth studio album ‘The Absolute Universe’, set for release on February 5th, 2021. Representing the band’s first new music since 2014’s ‘Kaleidoscope’, with ‘The Absolute Universe’ the band have done something unique and created two versions of the record: ‘The Absolute Universe: The Breath Of Life (Abridged Version)’ & ‘The Absolute Universe: Forevermore (Extended Version)’.
As Mike Portnoy explains: “We've got two versions of this album. There is a two CD presentation, which is 90 minutes long, and a single one - that's 60 minutes. However, the single CD is NOT merely an edited version of the double CD. They each contain alternate versions and even in some cases, new recordings. We wrote fresh lyrics and have different people singing on the single CD version tracks as compared to those on the double CD. Some of the song titles have also been changed, while others might remain the same, but compositionally what you'll hear has been altered. You must appreciate that what we have done is unique. We revamped the songs to make the two versions different.” Pete Trewavas adds: “We did write some new music for the single CD,” adds Trewavas. “What's more, there are also differences in the instruments used on some of the tracks across the two records.”
Each album will be available on CD, LP & Digitally. But there will also be what has been called ‘The Absolute Universe: The Ultimate Edition’, which collects both versions together in one lavish package that includes 5LP’s, 3CD’s & a Blu-ray that contains a 5.1 surround sound mix with visuals & a behind the scenes documentary. All editions have unique artwork created by Thomas Ewerhard.
The full list of formats is below, and pre-orders start on the 20th November:
‘The Absolute Universe: The Breath Of Life (Abridged Version)’
Special Edition CD Digipak, Gatefold 2LP+CD, Digital Album
‘The Absolute Universe: Forevermore (Extended Version)’
Special Edition 2CD Digipak, 3LP+2CD Boxset, Digital Album
‘The Absolute Universe: The Ultimate Edition’
Limited Deluxe Clear 5LP+3CD+Blu-Ray Box-set – contained within a foil-finished lift-off box with extended 16-page LP booklet & 60x60cm poster
Initial tracking began in September 2019 when the band met up in Sweden to write and arrange the new material. As Portnoy explains: “Over a period of 10-14 days, we mapped out the songs. Then we all went back to our home studios and did the recording. That's the way we always do it. At one point, though, it was suggested that instead of doing what was by that time going to be a double album, we should just be content to do a single CD.”
“What happened was that everything kept expanding and expanding,” recalls Stolt. “Therefore we decided it made sense to make it a double album. It was Pete and Neal who then came out and said they felt this would be too long, and we should reduce it to one…But we were already recording, and it didn't seem feasible to cut it back. There were so many pieces that each of us loved in what we were planning and didn't want to lose. That's when we ended up in discussions over the best way forward.”
This album also marks a return to the concept album for Transatlantic. “Well, the idea of Transatlantic deciding to do a concept record this time around won't shock anyone, right?” laughs Portnoy. “What we have is essentially one giant composition, split into chapters. The storyline is about the struggles facing everyone in society today.” “We didn't start out with the idea of this being conceptual,” admits Stolt. “The way things work with us is that we have a load of ideas, and these are developed spontaneously when we meet up. Everything happens in the moment.”
So, how does this new ground-breaking album compare to Transatlantic's previous four albums?
“I always try not to compare albums as much as possible,” insists Morse. “It’s very difficult when you’re trying to be creative, because your natural instinct is to constantly compare. But in order to create you have to kind of step away from that. Having said that, I would say this would have more in common with 'The Whirlwind' album (the band's third, from 2009) than others that we’ve created.”
For Trewavas, 'The Absolute Universe' is a momentous project.
“I think it is right up there with the very finest albums we've done. As the others have said, it compares very well to 'The Whirlwind', which I believe represents Transatlantic at our best. As on that album, we took our time to write and arrange everything, and that shines through. I am very excited for people to hear it.”

I have low expectations for the 5.1 mix, the last one (Kaleidoscope) was so meh...not discreet at all.

Attachments

• 124617320_10158386706381293_595592758122343719_o.jpg
    124617320_10158386706381293_595592758122343719_o.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 155
I think we are also glossing over what a dick move it is that the two CD versions are different so you may want to buy both versions. Depending on pricing the price gouging box with 5.1 might actually be the way to go; although I am out of words to declare my distaste of having to buy CD and vinyl to get 5.1

Wow, 5.1 mix of this kind of symphonic rock could be neat, but no way if the only chance is via a super box, then I’ll pass.

Well, might be to late but trying my part sent a email to Neal Morse's record shop(radiant records).
Does anyone have a good link to send message to inside out records and or the main guy Thomas Weber(of Inside Out records?

Sent the following to radiant records info email:

Why is it not still possible to have a 3 cd\1 Bluray bundle or even better a bluray only for people that like 5.1? A big part of the fanbase won't be able to afford the ultimate bundle in 2020/21 financial environment by bundling in 5 Lp's that won't be played.

Check this response out from Mike Portnoy. It does make a difference to let your voices be heard:
Mike's response on twitter to this question:

"Is there any plans to release the special edition without the vinyl?"
https://twitter.com/SiulOczoro989

Mike Portnoy

@MikePortnoy

"Maybe...looking into the possibility as so many of you are asking for that configuration"

I posted this yesterday on my FB page...

"I am seriously disappointed that TransAtlantic has fallen into the greed trap that many labels are doing by bundling the surround sound mix with vinyl. Who are they kidding? These are two totally different markets. I have no interest in vinyl, and I am pretty certain vinyl lovers have no interest in a digital surround version. "

Then, in addition, some replies reminded me of the true reality - I simply don't have the SPACE for all of these massive box sets.

I also wrote them on Twitter and said it's a hard pass if I have to waste space on vinyl to get the 5.1. It's barely even about the price for me. It's shelf space and clutter. Pete Trewavas is in Marillion, which has the best solution. DVD-case-height book format with CDs and BD. Efficient, with plenty of room for content.

And honestly... this one's going to sound like the last few anyway. I'll keep supporting them if they drop the absurd money-grab attempt, but... it's getting pretty redundant.

If they don't do a good discrete 5.1, then I would just as soon have a stereo version in the original frequencies, and forget about the surround version. Some of the Flower Kings albums would sound potentially better in surround, than the Transatlantic albums. I wish more of these prog bands could at least give us a high resolution audio stereo version on DVD.

The band's official social media just posted this

𝗛𝗲𝘆 𝗧𝗿𝗮𝗻𝘀𝗮𝘁𝗹𝗮𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗰 𝗳𝗮𝗻𝘀! With all the excitement over the announcement of The Absolute Universe, there seems to have been a little confusion regarding formats. Yes, we do understand it’s a lot to take in, as it really is a massive and unprecedented undertaking! Let us try and clear things up:
*The album comes in two unique versions, the 𝗔𝗯𝗿𝗶𝗱𝗴𝗲𝗱 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻 and 𝗘𝘅𝘁𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗱 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻. Both versions are available separately as either CD only, a Vinyl/CD package, or as a digital download.
*𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗹𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗘𝗱𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗹𝘂𝗱𝗲𝘀 𝗯𝗼𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗔𝗯𝗿𝗶𝗱𝗴𝗲𝗱 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗘𝘅𝘁𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗱 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 over 5LPs (Clear exclusive colour) and 3CDs. The Blu-ray in the package comes with a special mix that combines both versions into a third unique version in 5.1 surround sound with visuals and a behind the scenes documentary. It also includes an extended 16-page LP booklet & 60x60cm poster all contained within a foil-finished lift-off box. This is the version that includes everything and more!
*Regarding the Blu-ray, we listened to your concerns and have been able to come up with this option. 𝗪𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗼𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗕𝗹𝘂-𝗿𝗮𝘆 𝗮𝘀 𝗮 𝗹𝗶𝗺𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗮𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗺 that will be exclusively available via Radiant Records, InsideOut Europe & Racket Records.
We are so excited about this groundbreaking release and know this will be something you guys will love and will want to experience in as many ways as possible, as each version provides a completely different and unique experience. After all, we know with Transatlantic that More Never Is Enough! Thanks for the support and understanding.

Back