Trapeze - Tom Cochrane & Red Rider video collection.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryW

I received this collection the other day and am very impressed! In terms of quality, IMHO I feel it ranks right up there with the Queen Video Hits dvd. For the unfamiliar, and fellow non-Canadians, Tom Cochrane fronted Red Rider in the 80's whose biggest hit in the US was "Lunatic Fringe". After about 5 albums, Tom launched a solo career and had a modest hit stateside with "Life is a Highway". His solo work, in my opinion is very reminiscent of John Mellencamp. The dvd consists of a total of 21 videos, 4 Red Riders, the rest solo works, all of which have been newly remixed in DTS and DD 5.1. The DD sounded very nice, but I found that there was a much larger than usual difference between it and the DTS version. The DTS 5.1 is simply outstanding. It is not 24/96 DTS and as I don't have that DTS capability, I can't give comparisons. I do know that this sounds as good if not better than most the DVD-A's out there, though Silverline has lowered the grading curve quite effectively.:p If one doesn't want to watch the videos there is an "audio only" option offered, though I guess turning off the tv would have a similar effect. Richard Chycki, who has worked with Aerosmith, M.Jagger, P-Diddy, etc., has done a very nice job with the 5.1 mix. Nice and open sounding with very good surround usage. I can not recommend this dvd highly enough. Great sonics, rocking tunes with even the few ballads being toe-tappers. I would check DVD Price Search for the best deal, PlayCentric.com delivered it to me in less than a week for $17.23 total, which for what you get is a steal. This is how all music video dvds should be done! A must-have in my book.

I am a Canadian and know Tom Cochranes work quite well. I noticed on his website that this title is also coming out next week in DVD-Audio so now I am torn. Should I get the DVD-Video with excellent DTS sound or do I buy the DVD-A without the video and get possibly better sound? Unfortunately sound comparisons cannot be made in advance. If I buy both and the DVD-Audio disc sounds better, I will never play the video disc. Do the videos add a lot to the experience? I agree that the Queen disc is one of the better DTS music discs available. Try Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live as well. Great stuff!

Sorry for the late response...the videos are pretty good..the Red rider ones have that 80's cheesiness, but the solo ones are nice...HOWEVER, I would probably wait for the DVD-A version as I tend to listen without watching the videos...I will probably end up buying the DVD-A version as well...

I bought the DVD-A. It was even cheaper than the video. I compared the DTS to the DVD-A and the DVD-A is definately better but is not the best DVD-A that I have. The center channel has way too much information in it. In some songs it sounds like half the information is coming out of the center. There are however some outstanding tracks like "Just Like Ali", "Lunatic Fringe: and "Light In The Tunnel Human Race".

Back