HiRez Poll Travis & Fripp - FOLLOW [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Travis & Fripp - FOLLOW

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2012 DVD-Audio release. (n):phones(y)

R-3974100-1352024710-9459.jpeg.jpg

R-3974100-1352024721-5402.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Up with the best of the King Crimson releases regarding content supurb 5.1 mix from the mixmaster, the music I stated in a different area on the forum best of the Travis & Fripp albums. A surprise at teh end 3 bonus tracks 4 live Video tracks .
I do love the ambiant atmospherics of Travis and Fripps improvs

Love it

Scans of the disc:
t1_0005 (600 x 526).jpg
t1_0004 (600 x 533).jpg

Thanks to all for this one (including the QQ QA team)!!!

Spectacular! A 10! As the poll dictates - surround, content & fidelity - flawless on each account. Everyone involved in this project has delivered a superior effort. If you are a fan of surround and are on the fence regarding this project, youneed to open your mind a bit to music less structured but still rewarding in a traditional sense (I know - a bit of a paradox but still...) This is not to be missed.

I am not quite as fond of this release as I was hoping. The sound quality and the mix are both very good as I expected. It is a 9 or 10 in that respect. However, I find the music to bore me after a while. I am quite open minded when it comes to musical styles, and I definitely find some enjoyment in this, however after a few tracks I get bored. There isn't enough variation within or between tracks to keep my interest. I have only listened to it 3 times in surround, and 2 more times in stereo, so maybe it will just take a few more listens for me to "get it".

For now, I'll give it an 8. 10 for sonics/mix, and 6 for content.

This album is a clear follow-up on Thread, their previous collaboration.
First time listening, I too, felt it was too much of similar content going on. This is something I often deal with by playing half an album and the rest a next time. But then, knowing what to expect, I played it one time while doing some reading (in other words I wasn't fully concentrating on the music) and that was excellent.
The surround mix is good, but it could have been more interesting if the effects (delays and reverb as mostly used) would have been in surround too. It might have been an artistic decision to record with those effects mixed in. Nevertheless the mix is up there.
In it's genre this is a superb album.

Fidelity: Excellent.
Mix: Very Good, but IVe had better.
Music: Boring, just like someone said, maybe for reading a book and not paying attention.

Well, although Fidelity and Surround are very important, its far from being everything.
In my opinion the music has to be very good first, then comes fidelity and surround mix.

I love King Crimson for example, but that is no reason to like everything the great Mr. Fripp does. One of my favorite bands ever is Porcupine Tree, but some of SW stuff i just dont like. Metallica is one of the greatest metal bands ever. No discussion about that, but then they made the St.Anger album.

If I have to grade an album I think music should be worth 60% of the grade, surround about 30% and the rest fidelity. (Hey, thats me, everybodys entitled to have a different opinion).

For this album:
Fidelity is absolutely stunning, nothing to argue about that. 10.

Surround is great, but of course, it has to be rated a in context with the music, but its greatly done and is very close for what i would love in a mix. 8.

Music, well, lets just say I will probably wont play this album again, I got bored and I tried. I have listened to the album 3 times. I have other ambient music that I like much more so I really cant give the music even a 5 just because I like the guy and what he has done before. Maybe im a bit harsh, but thats how I think I should be doing this ratings. 3.

Giving every album a 10 if i like it and an 8 if I dont, just doesnt make any sense to me. 8-10 grades ar for those albums you cant stop listening. 5-7 are albums that are good to very good, but just make you listen ocasionaly, and 2-4 albums you will probably dont listen at all, and a 1 is reserved for that amazing album that will make your ears bleed and ask... "wtf did they try to do here? I think this is what they play for the inmates in Guantanamo" "

So in this case, Fidelity is a 10 (x 10% = 1), Surround an 8 (x 30% = 2.4) and Music a 3 (x 60% =1.8). 1+ 2.4 + 1.8 = 5.2 ~ 5

Well, although Fidelity and Surround are very important, its far from being everything.
In my opinion the music has to be very good first, then comes fidelity and surround mix.

I love King Crimson for example, but that is no reason to like everything the great Mr. Fripp does. One of my favorite bands ever is Porcupine Tree, but some of SW stuff i just dont like. Metallica is one of the greatest metal bands ever. No discussion about that, but then they made the St.Anger album.

If I have to grade an album I think music should be worth 60% of the grade, surround about 30% and the rest fidelity. (Hey, thats me, everybodys entitled to have a different opinion).

For this album:
Fidelity is absolutely stunning, nothing to argue about that. 10.

Surround is great, but of course, it has to be rated a in context with the music, but its greatly done and is very close for what i would love in a mix. 8.

Music, well, lets just say I will probably wont play this album again, I got bored and I tried. I have listened to the album 3 times. I have other ambient music that I like much more so I really cant give the music even a 5 just because I like the guy and what he has done before. Maybe im a bit harsh, but thats how I think I should be doing this ratings. 3.

Giving every album a 10 if i like it and an 8 if I dont, just doesnt make any sense to me. 8-10 grades ar for those albums you cant stop listening. 5-7 are albums that are good to very good, but just make you listen ocasionaly, and 2-4 albums you will probably dont listen at all, and a 1 is reserved for that amazing album that will make your ears bleed and ask... "wtf did they try to do here? I think this is what they play for the inmates in Guantanamo" "

So in this case, Fidelity is a 10 (x 10% = 1), Surround an 8 (x 30% = 2.4) and Music a 3 (x 60% =1.8). 1+ 2.4 + 1.8 = 5.2 ~ 5

Fair enough!

I voted a 7... for similar reasons as inkubuzz. Never been a huge fan of Frippertronics. For me this is "Frippertronics with Flute" :D...

(Although I think this could make it in a separate thread) my €0.22. I think in a forum like this the other way round would make more sense. If anything, the surround aspect is what makes reviews here different from a standard CD review. So 3x 1/3 for surround, music and sound would be a good start.
Personally I don't disqualify an album if I don't like the music much, it just get points deducted. If it is recorded well and the surround mix is good, it might be someone elses favorite.
Anyway, more important than the rating is the description of what's on the disc, preferably in a somewhat objective way. This forum is is invaluable in finding out which surround mixes are worthwhile.

I do a three way split on Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content if it its tops in all those its scores a 10!!!

I scored this a 7... Good sound and mix, but content-wise not so good for me...just my opinion though
:eek:...

I'm finally getting around to rating this one. I love to put this title on when I'm wanting to unwind or do some reading. As noted earlier, this is pretty ambient stuff with Fripp doing mostly low-key work. The mix is solid. I think the fidelity is outstanding. I give it an 8 mostly because (and I am an ambient fan) I think there is too much noodling going on here to rate it higher.

Finally bought this disc after I found a copy of it sitting in a Nashville record shop. Because it was right there, I felt it was finally time to give this disc a try.
Not really my cup of tea content-wise, but it's a good disc to listen to while studying as it is very soothing (and studying is something I have been doing a LOT of lately…)
Gave it an '8' simply because the mix and fidelity was too good to give it anything less, plus the bonus videos are a welcome addition to the disc. (Only pity is that video performance is not mixed in 5.1 surround…)

Back