Trust Your Ears. Dolby Atmos on Apple Music Doesn’t Sound “Right”

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamranv

QQ Supporter
I recently wrote an article on Digital Music News titled Trust Your Ears. Dolby Atmos on Apple Music Doesn’t Sound “Right” as attempt to help non-engineer industry folks better understand the challenges music makers like myself face most specifically with Apple Music's flavor of Dolby Atmos. Of course, it's also important to look at bright future ahead and all of the great things that have already come from this incredible technical leap such as high resolution stereo and multichannel streaming. Thx to @Franck for sharing the article that inspired me to collect my thoughts on this.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have. I imagine the conversation will evolve as Musicians, Engineers and Producers continue to practice and the technology develops.

Very interesting and informative article, and well-written too. You've obviously done your homework. Some of this stuff is over my head in terms of the technology and what is happening behind the scenes at Apple. Plus, while I frequently listen to Spatial Audio on Apple Music on my 7.1.4 setup, I have never heard it using headphones, so I have no idea what that experience is like, but obviously the vast majority of listeners out there are listening that way, so ultimately they will make or break the long-term success of Apple's spatial audio. It would seem pretty alarming that Apple is forcing their own twist on what is contained in the mixes, especially if not optimal compared to what they could be doing (again, I have no idea if this is true or what is better, etc.). But thanks for putting it out there for discussion.

A couple of minor quibbles - first, I don't believe historically that 5.1 audio was for the "1 percenters". The QQ community seems evidence enough that we are just regular people with a passion for this stuff. Second, while I get where your coming from with the sentiment to focus on the future and not revisit the past, I do welcome remixes of my beloved favorites from the past.

But this should be required reading for anyone with an interest in where Atmos music is headed. Nicely done and thank you!

What exactly is happening to the Atmos mix?

Distortion audible?

Background noise audible?

Frequency response changes - bass, midrange, treble boost/cut?

Audio (in some locations) at the wrong volume?

Audio at the wrong location?

Kirk Bayne

Very interesting and informative article, and well-written too. You've obviously done your homework. Some of this stuff is over my head in terms of the technology and what is happening behind the scenes at Apple. Plus, while I frequently listen to Spatial Audio on Apple Music on my 7.1.4 setup, I have never heard it using headphones, so I have no idea what that experience is like, but obviously the vast majority of listeners out there are listening that way, so ultimately they will make or break the long-term success of Apple's spatial audio. It would seem pretty alarming that Apple is forcing their own twist on what is contained in the mixes, especially if not optimal compared to what they could be doing (again, I have no idea if this is true or what is better, etc.). But thanks for putting it out there for discussion.

A couple of minor quibbles - first, I don't believe historically that 5.1 audio was for the "1 percenters". The QQ community seems evidence enough that we are just regular people with a passion for this stuff. Second, while I get where your coming from with the sentiment to focus on the future and not revisit the past, I do welcome remixes of my beloved favorites from the past.

But this should be required reading for anyone with an interest in where Atmos music is headed. Nicely done and thank you!

Thank you for the quick feedback and kind words, @mrcond.

I understand what you're saying about the "1 percenters" thing. Please forgive me, I didn't mean for that to come off as a "rich people only" kind of 1 percenter. My intent was to say of ways that people listen there are few passionate enough to have systems, especially as this technology is introduced.

And also I hear you on the incredible work being done on classic records. There are tons of stuff that works quite well, especially when the original artists and engineers are not only involved but were originally writing with quad/immersion in mind. However it seems like there is a lot of resource put into remaking records that don't need it, kind of killing the soul of the original work... and especially remixing records in Atmos that are already remixed in 5.1 or discrete quad. For all of that time and money is there really that much value?

I understand the business dynamic behind getting a strong catalog in Atmos however I'm advocating for Dolby, Apple and the labels to rethink where resources are going moving forward. More recently, it's incredible to hear artists think "in space" as they're making new work. I believe this practice is quite important for immersive audio to "stick" this time.

Thank you again for reading and this excellent feedback. I really helps put everything in context.

Distortion audible?

Kirk Bayne
Hi @kfbkfb. Excellent questions.

I'm not hearing additional distortion or background noise but to my ears: locations, volumes and even frequencies/eq seem different. Inevitably the binaural output will sound different than the speaker output when mixing. This is fully understood however deciding on these important creative compromises during the mix as you're checking the binaural mix in the DAR only to have to listen to it all over again on the iPhone is unfortunate. Why can't the iPhone sound identical to the DAR binaural render? ...that, I can't seem to get a clear answer on. I truly believe that this is a temporary issue. There has to be a reason why we ended up here to begin with.

Distortion audible?

Kirk Bayne

The whole process of taking a 3D sound field and processing it to trick your ears over two headphones is a bunch of crazy psychoacoustic magic. Their algorithms and technology to accomplish that are different from Dolby's so it sounds different. My hearing in my right ear is compromised so the headphones effects really don't work at all well for me so I can't care a whit.

I'll listen to Atmos on my home theater, not headphones, and the AppleTV delivers that from Apple Music just fine.

Pardon my lack of reading comprehension skills, but are you saying that Dolby Atmos on Apple Music doesn't sound right on any system because of compromises made for delivery, or that it doesn't sound right on headphones currently?

Pardon my lack of reading comprehension skills, but are you saying that Dolby Atmos on Apple Music doesn't sound right on any system because of compromises made for delivery, or that it doesn't sound right on headphones currently?

They are saying it doesn't sound "right" on headphones. I would contend it never sounds right on headphones and declaring which is "worse" is extremely subjective.

Kamranv,

I'm apologizing in advance for being long winded and a bit critical of the article.

The title seems like click bait vs conveying what you were actually going for.

Your argument centers around issues in spatial audio on headphones. However, you miss that a lot of people listen to music on AppleTV!

My point is EVERYTHING Atmos does not sound wrong, despite your title.

It's also not rosy everywhere else either. Many of us who have tested streaming audio services have found issues with the mixing on Tidal as well, which somehow gets a free pass from you simply because they are using a newer codec. Reduced db on the center channel track in much of their catalog should not get a free pass.

The article also delivered a message that Atmos is only for the uber rich elites. Made for only those that can hear it on only the best equipment.

AppleTV4K is $169. Soundbars and receivers started getting Atmos support in entry level offerings.

What has also happened that wasn't explained in the article. There was this thing, that we all experienced around the world, that closed movie theaters and clubs and live music venues. 2 years later, humans do what we do best- we adapted. People improved home sound systems, built home theaters, etc. Everyone I know upgraded gear and built out AV rooms throughout the pandemic. Mostly because families couldn't go to the movies. The bonus? Most of them now have multichannel audio systems and streaming services that have content. These are people who would come visit, but never think of making the investment before Covid.

None of these people are the .1%

There are Atmos sound bars for under $700 (I threw up a little in the back of my mouth as I typed that, but some people will hear Atmos music this way, and they will like it)

Better yet... Costco sells an Atmos receiver for $450. That's not a .1% system. That's a Costco priced system.

I don't watch a movie with 7.1 or Atmos with headphones because I know it's not going to be the same immersive experience as in my home theater. I apply the same logic to multichannel music. If it was mixed for multiple speakers, use multiple speakers for playback, and make no expectation that 2 speakers can completely replicate that experience. One day, it will happen, but punishing those who are trying to make the future a reality can easily get them to stop trying.

I'll leave you with this thought. My kids love my AV room, but they don't care where they consume content. There is a generation of people that will grow up listening to Spatial Audio on headphones.

They are not studio engineers
They are not audiophiles
They will love it

They are not us
They will outnumber us by millions
And likely...
They will adopt it

Our perception of "right" is based on what we experience and know. Old songs that sound wrong to us will sound right to them, because that is how they first experienced it. Hell, my argument about mixing in Tidal tracks is the perfect example of this exact same bias. I want it to sound the way I know it sounds.

Wrong or right, this is how perception works.

So hundreds of millions of kids will never hear that track in the studio, or on a dedicated Atmos system. In their eyes, we may be the monsters who have it all wrong.

In the end, whether it improves or not, headphone spatial audio will survive if those people enjoy it. Hopefully it will likely improve along the way. Why do I think this?

Apple Music added lossless.
Apple Movies support 4k and Dolby Vision /Atmos.

Is that so hard to grasp that it will get better?

It's come a long way in the last 10 years, for sure, but hopefully we can all agree it's not done evolving. Right now, we have a quickly growing catalog of new multichannel music that can be enjoyed the old way (av room) or the new way (spatial headphones). Sure it's in its infancy, but why not focus your knowledge on what Apple could do to make it better?

For us ".1%ers" out there, we will stick to our multichannel rooms where audio sounds the way we expect. For everyone else, we may fade away in a generation or two, and spatial audio on headphones will likely improve. I may be wrong and Atmos music all goes away, but I hope not.

"The rollout of these formats in all three generations seems to have similar results. No one is listening."

I see a very different experience this time around. It seems the third time is a charm-people are excited about multichannel and Atmos content!

What I could not figure out from your article: Do you want Apple to fix Spatial or kill it?

If people write articles about how it could be better, this will inspire engineers and improvements will happen. If articles simply bash it, it will go away.

Last edited:
They are saying it doesn't sound "right" on headphones. I would contend it never sounds right on headphones and declaring which is "worse" is extremely subjective.
Agreed, I've never felt music sounds "right" on headphones. But then again, I'm not a fan of listening on headphones and therefore have never owned a quality pair.

I recently wrote an article on Digital Music News titled Trust Your Ears. Dolby Atmos on Apple Music Doesn’t Sound “Right” as attempt to help non-engineer industry folks better understand the challenges music makers like myself face most specifically with Apple Music's flavor of Dolby Atmos. Of course, it's also important to look at bright future ahead and all of the great things that have already come from this incredible technical leap such as high resolution stereo and multichannel streaming. Thx to @Franck for sharing the article that inspired me to collect my thoughts on this.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have. I imagine the conversation will evolve as Musicians, Engineers and Producers continue to practice and the technology develops.
Awesome article. Thanks!

I’ve shared with others to illustrate why it doesn’t sound right to me, why commenting on Atmos mixes listened to in headphones via Apple Music has caveats, etc

This is 100% about using "Atmos" as a form of copy protection and tying it to hardware purchases. The remains of the surround files Apple is streaming have been run through the mp3 meat grinder. (The AAC version in this case.) They could care less if the music remains intact. It does not. And to the point that extended height channel surround or even standard 5.1 is a moot point.

The Apple streaming Atmos files can only be played with a paid account. The subscription unlocks the Atmos controls in their Music player app. The paid subscription does NOT allow you to play your own Atmos files! This is strictly only unlocked for the streaming content. You still need to purchase a new AV receiver with the Atmos playback codec in the firmware to play your own files. (eg. from bluray)

My guess is Dolby is currently refusing to license the codec to any media player app. They're only selling the license to hardware makers at present. They let Apple work around it for their mutilated streaming content (because you're not really getting the goods, are you) with their lock out restrictions in place.

This has absolutely nothing to do with any quality control like only allowing playback in capable systems. They sell shitbars with the Atmos codec that can't even deliver mono audio properly. (Let alone stereo, let alone surround.)

Hi @kfbkfb. Excellent questions.

I'm not hearing additional distortion or background noise but to my ears: locations, volumes and even frequencies/eq seem different. Inevitably the binaural output will sound different than the speaker output when mixing. This is fully understood however deciding on these important creative compromises during the mix as you're checking the binaural mix in the DAR only to have to listen to it all over again on the iPhone is unfortunate. Why can't the iPhone sound identical to the DAR binaural render? ...that, I can't seem to get a clear answer on. I truly believe that this is a temporary issue. There has to be a reason why we ended up here to begin with.
Thanks @kamranv for the shoutout.

I have not found any information on DAR binaural with head tracking support. I guess this is the main reason why the binaural mix from Apple is different, they added dynamic head tracking. To do it right, I suppose, you have to take the original Dolby Atmos DD+JOC and you binauralize it with head position as a factor. This is going to sound differently than a static DAR Binaural, just because the process is different.

The whole process of taking a 3D sound field and processing it to trick your ears over two headphones is a bunch of crazy psychoacoustic magic.
Yep, the same as trying to make Atmos work from a soundbar.
Immersive needs to be done by speakers if you expect it to sound "right". They've been doing goofy tricks with phasing, etc; to try an make headphone sound get outside your head for decades. It works to a minor extent but it will never equal a 9 channel or more speaker system for immersive experience.

This is 100% about using "Atmos" as a form of copy protection and tying it to hardware purchases. The remains of the surround files Apple is streaming have been run through the mp3 meat grinder. (The AAC version in this case.) They could care less if the music remains intact. It does not. And to the point that extended height channel surround or even standard 5.1 is a moot point.

The Apple streaming Atmos files can only be played with a paid account. The subscription unlocks the Atmos controls in their Music player app. The paid subscription does NOT allow you to play your own Atmos files! This is strictly only unlocked for the streaming content. You still need to purchase a new AV receiver with the Atmos playback codec in the firmware to play your own files. (eg. from bluray)

My guess is Dolby is currently refusing to license the codec to any media player app. They're only selling the license to hardware makers at present. They let Apple work around it for their mutilated streaming content (because you're not really getting the goods, are you) with their lock out restrictions in place.

This has absolutely nothing to do with any quality control like only allowing playback in capable systems. They sell shitbars with the Atmos codec that can't even deliver mono audio properly. (Let alone stereo, let alone surround.)
(y)

Kamranv,

I'm apologizing in advance for being long winded and a bit critical of the article.

The title seems like click bait vs conveying what you were actually going for.

Your argument centers around issues in spatial audio on headphones. However, you miss that a lot of people listen to music on AppleTV!

My point is EVERYTHING Atmos does not sound wrong, despite your title.

It's also not rosy everywhere else either. Many of us who have tested streaming audio services have found issues with the mixing on Tidal as well, which somehow gets a free pass from you simply because they are using a newer codec. Reduced db on the center channel track in much of their catalog should not get a free pass.

The article also delivered a message that Atmos is only for the uber rich elites. Made for only those that can hear it on only the best equipment.

AppleTV4K is $169. Soundbars and receivers started getting Atmos support in entry level offerings.

What has also happened that wasn't explained in the article. There was this thing, that we all experienced around the world, that closed movie theaters and clubs and live music venues. 2 years later, humans do what we do best- we adapted. People improved home sound systems, built home theaters, etc. Everyone I know upgraded gear and built out AV rooms throughout the pandemic. Mostly because families couldn't go to the movies. The bonus? Most of them now have multichannel audio systems and streaming services that have content. These are people who would come visit, but never think of making the investment before Covid.

None of these people are the .1%

There are Atmos sound bars for under $700 (I threw up a little in the back of my mouth as I typed that, but some people will hear Atmos music this way, and they will like it)

Better yet... Costco sells an Atmos receiver for $450. That's not a .1% system. That's a Costco priced system.

I don't watch a movie with 7.1 or Atmos with headphones because I know it's not going to be the same immersive experience as in my home theater. I apply the same logic to multichannel music. If it was mixed for multiple speakers, use multiple speakers for playback, and make no expectation that 2 speakers can completely replicate that experience. One day, it will happen, but punishing those who are trying to make the future a reality can easily get them to stop trying.

I'll leave you with this thought. My kids love my AV room, but they don't care where they consume content. There is a generation of people that will grow up listening to Spatial Audio on headphones.

They are not studio engineers
They are not audiophiles
They will love it

They are not us
They will outnumber us by millions
And likely...
They will adopt it

Our perception of "right" is based on what we experience and know. Old songs that sound wrong to us will sound right to them, because that is how they first experienced it. Hell, my argument about mixing in Tidal tracks is the perfect example of this exact same bias. I want it to sound the way I know it sounds.

Wrong or right, this is how perception works.

So hundreds of millions of kids will never hear that track in the studio, or on a dedicated Atmos system. In their eyes, we may be the monsters who have it all wrong.

In the end, whether it improves or not, headphone spatial audio will survive if those people enjoy it. Hopefully it will likely improve along the way. Why do I think this?

Apple Music added lossless.
Apple Movies support 4k and Dolby Vision /Atmos.

Is that so hard to grasp that it will get better?

It's come a long way in the last 10 years, for sure, but hopefully we can all agree it's not done evolving. Right now, we have a quickly growing catalog of new multichannel music that can be enjoyed the old way (av room) or the new way (spatial headphones). Sure it's in its infancy, but why not focus your knowledge on what Apple could do to make it better?

For us ".1%ers" out there, we will stick to our multichannel rooms where audio sounds the way we expect. For everyone else, we may fade away in a generation or two, and spatial audio on headphones will likely improve. I may be wrong and Atmos music all goes away, but I hope not.

"The rollout of these formats in all three generations seems to have similar results. No one is listening."

I see a very different experience this time around. It seems the third time is a charm-people are excited about multichannel and Atmos content!

What I could not figure out from your article: Do you want Apple to fix Spatial or kill it?

If people write articles about how it could be better, this will inspire engineers and improvements will happen. If articles simply bash it, it will go away.

I appreciated it but no need to apologize, @FooBarFoo. I posted this with the hope that folks with come in with some excellent thoughts such as yours.

Please consider that the Creative Process of making music in this format is the primary subject of the article. Right now Apple Music via the iPhone on headphones is by far where Atmos (or immersive music, in general) is heard however there is currently no way for music makers to preview the audio in real time. Dolby seems to suggest that mixers to favor the results heard on the DAR over the results heard with Apple. It leads me to believe what Apple is currently doing will change. This is great in the long term but short term they need to better understand and support how 99.9% of music is made.

As I acknowledge above to @mrcond, it is fair for you all to read it as if I was trying to include listeners in that 0.1% but that was not the intent; it is 0.1% of music makers. No slight on them in saying that they are 0.1% either... they've earned it. Looking at the past focusing on 0.1% isn't going to make the format stick. Most of the top mixers/producers/musicians are making music in Atmos because they get paid to do it and/or get additional marketing out of it. Again... they've eared it but when the money and marketing go away, I imagine the effort will too.

You are right that the title is indeed meant to catch people's interest but not blindly. Look at the global streaming music subscription market. Apple is only 15%. Tidal isn't even listed. Out of that 15% on Apple how many of those folks are listening to Atmos at all, let alone speakered systems? Though these numbers are from Q2 2021, how many more speakered systems were sold vs AirPod headphones after the Atmos+Apple announcement? Even if you have a speakered Atmos system, are how much MUSIC are folks listening there vs headphones? Your point about AppleTV could also be the root problem too; Atmos and Apple Spatial are film-first formats, meaning that the workflow and tech serves films/tv first. Music has to compromise to fit in... and I suppose justifiably since the revenues are so much higher. I'm not mad about this, I just am waving my hand on behalf of a decent group of people asking to be heard. The issues are fixable but the actual problem must be acknowledged first.

Each record I currently make is immersive. Sadly, I can't rely on what I'm hearing via Apple's Spatial Renderer. I'm positive Apple+Dobly will sort it out... though the timing is crucial. Not on purpose, the "industry" didn't move fast enough to support "the rest of us" in the past. Why should a bedroom producer who will blow our minds in 5 years bother with immersive audio if it's such a pain?

The tech is capable, the process just needs to be refined with meaningful support.

We’re reading reports of general playback issues with Apple surround music depending on title and how stuff is encoded. The thing is to probably check other titles and see how they playback. It could be one’s equipment or more likely an issue on Apple’s end.

I appreciated it but no need to apologize, @FooBarFoo. I posted this with the hope that folks with come in with some excellent thoughts such as yours.

Please consider that the Creative Process of making music in this format is the primary subject of the article. Right now Apple Music via the iPhone on headphones is by far where Atmos (or immersive music, in general) is heard however there is currently no way for music makers to preview the audio in real time. Dolby seems to suggest that mixers to favor the results heard on the DAR over the results heard with Apple. It leads me to believe what Apple is currently doing will change. This is great in the long term but short term they need to better understand and support how 99.9% of music is made.

As I acknowledge above to @mrcond, it is fair for you all to read it as if I was trying to include listeners in that 0.1% but that was not the intent; it is 0.1% of music makers. No slight on them in saying that they are 0.1% either... they've earned it. Looking at the past focusing on 0.1% isn't going to make the format stick. Most of the top mixers/producers/musicians are making music in Atmos because they get paid to do it and/or get additional marketing out of it. Again... they've eared it but when the money and marketing go away, I imagine the effort will too.

You are right that the title is indeed meant to catch people's interest but not blindly. Look at the global streaming music subscription market. Apple is only 15%. Tidal isn't even listed. Out of that 15% on Apple how many of those folks are listening to Atmos at all, let alone speakered systems? Though these numbers are from Q2 2021, how many more speakered systems were sold vs AirPod headphones after the Atmos+Apple announcement? Even if you have a speakered Atmos system, are how much MUSIC are folks listening there vs headphones? Your point about AppleTV could also be the root problem too; Atmos and Apple Spatial are film-first formats, meaning that the workflow and tech serves films/tv first. Music has to compromise to fit in... and I suppose justifiably since the revenues are so much higher. I'm not mad about this, I just am waving my hand on behalf of a decent group of people asking to be heard. The issues are fixable but the actual problem must be acknowledged first.

Each record I currently make is immersive. Sadly, I can't rely on what I'm hearing via Apple's Spatial Renderer. I'm positive Apple+Dobly will sort it out... though the timing is crucial. Not on purpose, the "industry" didn't move fast enough to support "the rest of us" in the past. Why should a bedroom producer who will blow our minds in 5 years bother with immersive audio if it's such a pain?

The tech is capable, the process just needs to be refined with meaningful support.

Glad you clarified that it was about creating vs consuming. Your article unfortunately covered issues of creation and consumption, as you stated that no one is listening. (Hint- we are, and we like what we hear, and we typically don't use headphones for Atmos or Dolby audio, unless we have the gear to truly pull it off.)

Speaking of refinements... and crucial timing... it might be time to update or do a follow up to your article!

The Logic update just dropped that allows for A/B comparisons between Dolby Atmos and Apple Spatial Audio (Binaural). This should fix some of the differences for sure. I'm hopeful this will allow creators to dial it in as close as possible.

So your primary complaint was just solved via technology, and it hasn't even been out for a year. Looks like the toddler just made the track team. Hopefully Pro Tools will get the same treatment soon, but now there is at least one solution to easily mix for Atmos - binaural or discreet.

Agreed- the numbers you are stating were from July 2021, with the service growing at that time 4-5 million subscribers per month, conservatively.

No one has Apple's actual numbers for subscribers, but the assumption is it's well north of 100 million. That is nothing to scoff at. Which means that even if there are only 1% listening on Atmos with speakers, that's likely over a million listeners. That is a market. Historically, a million SACDS or DVD-A's sold would have been a massive mainstream success!

The difference this time is the cost barriers to entry are much lower. SACD was not a sub $1000 endeavor. Apple TV is. The Atmos system in the living room or den is now a music system as well. That means if it sounds decent, people will listen. Atmos music is just another way to use your investment in Atmos gear, so everyone here absolutely uses it for music! I might argue daily! I feel no compromises in my playback other than I wish the Atmos streaming quality was truly lossless.

A key point I'm making is most of us here at QQ consume Atmos music using multichannel audio using speakers vs spatial processing.

Stating Atmos is somehow a compomise because it started for movies makes little sense. A good mix creates a sense of immersion for movies or music. Some are enhancements to previous multichannel mixes, and some are something new. Sometimes they are good and sometimes they aren't. The same with movies. Atmos mixing is like any other mixing- some mixes are good, some are bad. It's still VERY new to music engineers! Having the differences compared by the engineer should improve mixing for spatial (headphones), but that won't fix someone who doesn't know what they are doing. That said, the more bedroom studios that can deliver content, the more content will be available, the more experience people get mixing, the better the content....

The greater the chance multichannel succeeds this time.

The number of available tracks in Apple Music well exceeds all the dvd-a, sacd, and blu ray music content I own already. Each week we get more. Sometimes it's old OOP quad recordings or new Atmos mixes from new or popular artists. The point is the content is growing at a steady and decent pace. In a few years, we should have most of the multichannel back catalogs available via streaming, along with hundreds of new albums.

All of this is available to everyone at the click of a button. No chasing OOP titles on eBay, scouring estate sales, camping on discogs, etc. It's all there, waiting to be explored. Artists and genres you would not typically buy are available to you at no additional cost, to explore as well.

Unlimited access is why I believe this time is different and why it will succeed. Fixing spatial mixes is just growing pains, which now looks like it has a solution.

Back