Tudor / Carrere Switzerland - Classical QS/SQ LPs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
This is sort of a work in progress thing, but I came across one of these LPs in my internet search travels tonight and didn't see it in @Mark Anderson's quad discography. It looks like I'm not the first person to notice them (@Soundfield and @fizzywiggs41 discuss them in the thread I linked to) but I thought it might be useful to consolidate the titles I've found in one place, just in case there are any further ones to be discovered.

The common denominator between these and other classical quad mixes of the era appear to be Robert Auger (a well-known British engineer, who's credited on the Vogel mix below) and Hellmuth Kolbe, a German engineer who did classical quad mixes for a bunch of Swiss and German labels.

YEARCATALOG NUMBERCONDUCTOR / ORCHESTRACOMPOSER / WORKFORMAT
1974​
74001/2Helmut Müller-Brühl / Kölner KammerorchesterSuiten Für Orchester / Ouvertüren BWV 1066-1069
SQ​
1974​
74003/4Rudolf Kempe / Tonhalle Orchester ZürichAnton Bruckner / Symphonie No. 8
QS​
1975​
73004 (also 67.803)John Lubbock / Orchestra Of St. John's Smith Square LondonWladimir Vogel ‎/ Konzert Für Violine Und Orchester
QS​
1976​
67.811Hans-Vollenweider / Orgelwerke An Der Grossmünster Orgel ZürichJS Bach <various organ works>
QS​

Tudor 67.803
Tudor 67.803a.jpg

Tudor 67.803b.jpg

Carrere 67769
Carrere 67769a.jpg

Carrere 67769b.jpg

Carrere 67769e.jpg

That's all I could find that was not listed

Always fascinated by the many approaches possible for multichannel recording of pipe organs.
I live in the city with the world's largest pipe organ, and we had a record label that recorded TV organ player in quad. The organ is in a department store, and the main listening has front and rear pipes, and the listening area is very reverberant and over multiple floors which have balconies. I'm not aware of any recordings made here that are not simply stereo. Wanamaker Organ - Wikipedia

I live in the city with the world's largest pipe organ, and we had a record label that recorded TV organ player in quad. The organ is in a department store, and the main listening has front and rear pipes, and the listening area is very reverberant and over multiple floors which have balconies. I'm not aware of any recordings made here that are not simply stereo. Wanamaker Organ - Wikipedia
Yes! We wandered in on a recent visit to your city and were pleased (at least, I was) to be treated to a selection of Wagner transcriptions.

Yes! We wandered in on a recent visit to your city and were pleased (at least, I was) to be treated to a selection of Wagner transcriptions.
Where did you listen from? The ground floor is too far away from the pipes and slappy for my taste. The 2nd or 3rd floors' balconies open onto the main room, and I prefer them. I'm sure the organist would have been happy to have a journo say hi if you peeked into the loft.

Where did you listen from? The ground floor is too far away from the pipes and slappy for my taste. The 2nd or 3rd floors' balconies open onto the main room, and I prefer them. I'm sure the organist would have been happy to have a journo say hi if you peeked into the loft.
We began on the ground floor but later migrated up to the 3rd floor balcony. Big difference.

Back