Quad LP/Tape Poll Turrentine, Stanley: Don't Mess with Mr. T [SQ/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Don't Mess with Mr. T"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 60.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux Totally

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
CTI CTSQ 6030, from 1973.

Side 1:

Don't Mess with Mr. T.
Two for T.

Side 2:

Too Blue
I Could Never Repay Your Love

Turrentine Mr. T.jpg

ED :)

Same here, a '7'. It's a decent quad entry, but Turrentine's best work, IMO, was for Blue Note, and even that was erratic at times. Moving to CTI and Creed Taylor gave him a higher profile, but with a few exceptions, CTI jazz wasn't exactly challenging in the '70s, to be kind. This album is fair enough for background music, but that's not quite what most of us want out of jazz, is it?

ED :)

The quad edition of this is clearly marked on the cover and the catalog ID. But the label on the stereo version seems to indicate an SQ master was used, and it actually decodes fairly well. Did they just slap a different cover & label on the same pressing?

The quad edition of this is clearly marked on the cover and the catalog ID. But the label on the stereo version seems to indicate an SQ master was used, and it actually decodes fairly well. Did they just slap a different cover & label on the same pressing?

So what's your vote?

a short but sweet wee sweetie (clocks in at a little over 30 mins of music) with a solid if unspectacular RVG Quad mix. not my absolute favourite Turrentine in Quad (that's 1974's Pieces Of Dreams, on Fantasy, with yummy arrangements by Gene Page). this might make a cool DV 2-fer teamed up with another CTI goody (maybe the unreleased CTI Quad of Joe Farrell's Penny Arcade?). meantime in its vintage Quad form, its an "8" that carries its weight 👍

have you not heard this one afore, Mister Pupster? 🤔
Yes I have, thank you very much... and hey it's Turrentine ... Mr. T to be truly tuned in.
However, I've only heard a conversion, now that I have a compatible rig for these types, I'll have my own go at it and then be fully qualified, bona fide and illustriously sanctified in Quad glory so as to render a vote.
:QQlove
Just a shame that there's only three votes here on this one though 😖

For the time being, a most excellent job by- Mr. (not to be messed with) @fredblue to sample this little jewel.
Produced by Creed Taylor yes, but arranged and conducted by Bob James. Mastered and engineered by Rudy Van Gelder.
Cats like: Randy Brecker, Ron Carter, Eric Gale, Bob James, Richard Tee, Joe Farrell and many other great musicians, the Cred on this is fantastic. It actually has an impressive discrete spread on it for an SQ album IMO. Would love to hear the QR of this.
And, to top it off I'm really enjoying the refreshing Jazz sound on this. Sound wise it's clean enough to hear the reed squawk in Mr. T's sexy Sax and lot's of other detail. Just needs a nice clean modern mastering to squeeze the utmost class out of this classic!
I'll give it a strong 9.
More votes please!!!

Back