TV Shows [OTA, Cable/Sat, Stream] (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
My 1st DTV (13" TruTech/Funai) has a coaxial digital audio out, when my Pioneer VSX-D514 was upstairs, I connected this output to the coax input and I watched/listened to (OTA - CBS - KCTV 5) Hawaii 5-0 w/DD 5.1 once.

The TV wasn't in the center between LF and RF, it was way off to the right so the 5.1 audio was a little odd.

Currently, I only have OTA DTV and HBOmax streaming, both offer surround sound and HBOmax offers some series.

Just checked, Raised by Wolves HBOmax series is in Atmos (time to for me to watch/record it).
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9170108/
Anyone know of any TV shows/series that are almost entirely surround?

Kirk Bayne

I have watched the first few episodes of Raised by Wolves, DLP2 movie mode surround sound.

I don't know if HBOmax sends a DS encoded version or a downmixed Atmos version thru my browser, not much surround content so far.

Kirk Bayne

Raised by Wolves S1E4 does have quite a lot of surround sound (DPL2 movie mode decoding).

(I lost interest in the series, I may finish watching it later this year)

Kirk Bayne

Found some of my old VHS tapes recently, checked their content - it seems I recorded several "Twin Peaks" eps from KMBC TV 9 [they converted to stereo in early 1990], so far, they are S2 eps and they say "IN STEREO & SURROUND SOUND" during the opening credits.

This is the first time I saw surround sound specifically mentioned (on broadcast network TV no less), the closing credits show the Dolby Surround logo.

The tapes were all recorded in VHS HiFi at SLP on T120s, picture quality is fairly good (from "rabbit ears"), I'm copying them to DVDs, once copied, I'll rewatch them, now that I can play the soundtracks in surround sound.

Kirk Bayne

Listened to a ST-DS9 ep on KCMN 42.2 tonight in original Dolby Pro Logic - having used DPL2 movie mode since last Dec, I noticed the surround sound had noticeably better directionality (I expected the opposite result).

Kirk Bayne

Currently watching S1E1 of Enterprise on KCMN 42.2 w/DPL, there have been a few smooth front to back pans so far (I'm a little surprised it sounded so good considering my haphazard setup).

Kirk Bayne

Found some of my old VHS tapes recently, checked their content - it seems I recorded several "Twin Peaks" eps from KMBC TV 9 [they converted to stereo in early 1990], so far, they are S2 eps and they say "IN STEREO & SURROUND SOUND" during the opening credits.

This is the first time I saw surround sound specifically mentioned (on broadcast network TV no less), the closing credits show the Dolby Surround logo.

The tapes were all recorded in VHS HiFi at SLP on T120s, picture quality is fairly good (from "rabbit ears"), I'm copying them to DVDs, once copied, I'll rewatch them, now that I can play the soundtracks in surround sound.

Kirk Bayne

I remember 1985 was the first I saw "in stereo" was mentioned in the opening credits for programs on NBC . CBS followed soon after.

The first time I saw surround mentioned was in 89 with the new season of Saturday Night Live ,broadcast with Shure's HTS . Then about a year or 2 later they switched to Dolby Surround.
What followed was a gourd of interesting Shows in Dolby , such as Star Trek NG , and all of the off shoots.
Twin Peaks ,yes , and Lynch 's On Air and Talk Shows like The Tonight Show, Rick Dee's and The Simpsons ...and others
Some would not say Dolby Surround, until the final credits.

I do have Dolby's initial lineup of surround programs on various networks.
Most movies on a stereo network exhibited surround ,and I had my coax system set up with my Fosgate 101a.

Now we have everything produced in surround, including intelligence insulting commercials. All in DD 5.1.

IIRC, in an interview with Ray Dolby in the early 1990s in either Video or Video Review mag, he stated that the Japanese were occupied with Quad throughout the 1970s, otherwise there would have been a lot of competition for the B type NR system (depriving Dolby Labs of income), as it happened, Dolby Labs was able to expand and develop the (original) Dolby Surround and ultimately "save" surround sound.

I'm still somewhat puzzled by the development of more matrix systems after QS and SQ were developed (those are probably the 2 extremes - symmetrical or high LF/RF & LB/RB separation + excellent mono compatibility).

IMHO, the BBC and Shure and others working on new matrix schemes should have instead worked on coming up with the simplest possible hardware variable matrix decoding system (applicable to both QS and SQ) so that even the most low priced matrix decoders could have some logic enhancement.

I must watch my Twin Peaks VHS HiFi -> DVD copies, now that I know who killed Laura Palmer.

I noticed that the DS encoded content from the early 1990s typically has just a few specific surround effects per episode, the new Outer Limits [made for Showtime cable] recently on Comet TV is a good example (possibly so that mono listeners don't miss much yet surround listeners get some surround sound).

Anyway, back to DS9 (6 days/week) in DS, decoded with original DPL :)

Kirk Bayne

If I recall correctly, there was a Rick Wakeman JTTCOTE concert that was simulcast in “quad” around 1974/75. No stereo VCRs at the time, so I didn’t get to save it. I haven’t seen it available commercially.
🤬

One of the mags in ~1973 reported on a Color TV + SQ quad encoded FM stereo simulcast (classical music), I've been looking for the issue (I'll scan it and post it when found).

This may have been the 1st such combination, too bad matrix quad FM/TV simulcasts didn't catch on.

Kirk Bayne

Back