TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
With the ever evolving battle for our entertainment dollars in the ongoing merging and divergence by major studios and streaming services; I felt a thread was needed to discuss this area.
I'm thinking Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, CBS All Access, NBC Peacock, Disney +, Apple TV+, HBO Max, HULU, etc. etc.

I wanted to watch this new series by Ridley Scott called Raised By Wolves; because I love all things Science Fiction. Well turns out it's on yet another pay service of HBO Max. I already pay for Disney + through my ROKU player because I must have 'The Mandalorian', and I figured Disney has enough of an interesting back library of content and a major scale of production for future shows, it'd be worth it.
Now I have to decide to spend more for HBO Max :rolleyes:

Here is a trailer for Raised By Wolves:

Here is an article on the 'Raised By Wolves' show and season finale (with spoilers) on ars TECHNICA that drew my attention, because I really didn't know much about it.

I will eventually move over to Sky Q to get UHD and they offer Disney+ which has me interested because of 'The Mandalorian'. Unfortunately I have poor terrestrial digital HD TV reception, so I installed a distribution system for satellite/TV/FM/DAB in the house - which it turns out isn't compatible with Sky Q. So I need an add on box to that to do the Sky Q satellite signals (hopefully current cabling will stretch or its re-cable bits) ........Grrrr.

I just worked out I spend a bit more on Broadband+Phone & my Sky HD Satellite Subscription than I do to for gas and electricity combined!

Been watching this very satisfying series on Netflix, that has good production, script and acting.
Makes Chess very sexy (y)

TQG-3.jpg

Netflix has been working towards this from the beginning, they were just waiting for widespread broadband to catch up, and now everyone else is playing catch up to Netflix.

Netflix will keep raising prices with confidence
Netflix will keep raising prices with confidence as its value proposition remains superior to cable TV

In addition to the main streaming sites you mentioned earlier, there are also anime-centric sites that my friends use:
Crunchyroll $8/month
Funimation $8/month
Hidive $5/month

All quite a bit cheaper but then you aren't paying for blockbuster films or original series.

The proliferation of streaming/ on demand services all with various exclusive showings makes one feel they need to subscribe to all if they want maximum entertainment choices. That's crazy expensive to me unless your someone with no cable/dish expenses. Lord knows, I would cut the cable except for my wife's Hallmark ch.o_O
I have cut the cable in my Bassment with ATSC OTA tuner that gets me 60 chs free. Not bad for the 3 or 4 x a year I actually watch something on regular TV.

As I subscribe to Netflix I hoped the growth of competition would stifle that companies price increases. Now I see from that article it's just the opposite. If there is no membership growth they will just make up projected revenue decline with raising the costs. Really music is more important to me than movies & if Netflix hits $20 for the standard plan I will probably drop it.

I never pass up the chance to pimp for the underdog video streaming service: VUDU. Yup right there on my Oppo remote there's a big button for Netflix and VUDU. I make use of both & see no need to pay for others. Some of the things I like about VUDU is no monthly fee, just pay for what you watch. Renting is about $3 and to "buy" it varies but a bit less than what you would pay for bluray somewhere like Target. It offers 7.1 sound if the movies has it & the A/V quality is a bit superior to Netflix. And also they usually get new movies before Bluray or others do. I saw Knives Out at a theater & I could pre-purchase a (usually a bit less than regular purchase) & see it again about 2 weeks earlier than anywhere else.

But I do think I'm gonna hafta check out The Queen's Gambit. Thanks!

Talk of a Boba Fett spinoff to The Mandalorian.
You know how Din Djarin killed the Krayt dragon? That’s how I believe they’ll explain how Boba Fett miraculously survived his fall into the Sarlacc Pit during Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

1605017716359.png

Chapter 11 Mandalorian (Directed by Bryce Dallas Howard)
1605332168725.png

Katee Sackhoff aka Bo-Katan - (another sect of the Mandalorian -Clan Kryze)
1605332107740.png
1605333617599.png

Titus Welliver - a
Captain of the Imperial ship Gozanti
TW.jpg

and Giancarlo Esposito as Moff Gideon (with a darksaber)

1605332957550.png

The Netflix we get here in Colombia is a very poor subset of whet the US gets. It is very rare when I find something of interest to me (don't miss The Black Godfather anyway). They have the gall to say that their Colombian service is cheap.

We don't even get some Netflix originals, such as the movie Kodachrome.

Of course there is the factor that they don't make movies for people like me anymore.

The HBO streaming service here is not 5.1. Netflix and Amazon Prime are, but it is not Dolby Digital but AAC (free) , which makes it difficult.

Thanks Pupster. That link went to a WSJ pay wall so I couldn't read the bulk. But the title pretty much says it all. The amount of anime on Netflix is one of the reasons I don't subscribe to any of the other anime-centric services like Crunchyroll. Even tho I bemoan Netflix price increases it offers more than enough anime, J & K shows than I could ever get around to watching. And of course the huge variety of shows that places like Crunchy don't have.

What fares best the Asian category is Asian generated shows with just subs added. The Ghost in the Shell "original series" was an adaptation & the CG animation was some of the worst I've ever seen. I couldn't even make it through all of the 1st eps. And the new (American? Canadian?) live action adaptation of the amazing Death Note series was just so God awful... It's what happens when you take a 24 eps series & mash it into 3 hrs. On the other hand, Cowboy Bebop was great even if I didn't feel the need to watch all of it, again, since I have the Blu-Ray. And I believe Neon Genesis Evangelion has yet to be released in USA in high def so it was a treat to see the series again on Netflix in HD.

Besides anime, I'm currently watching The Queens Gambit thanks to your tip. I don't play chess or even checkers. Go Fish confuses me. I am a game idiot. But one of the funny axioms about anime is that if a series is about sports (Prince of Tennis), the last thing it's actually about is sports. It's just a substrate on which the real story is built. And that's how The Queens Gambit strikes me. Yes there's quite a bit high level chess stuff there, but the underlying theme & character development makes this one of the best or at least in top ten shows I've enjoyed on Netflix.

And before Queens Gambit I was hooked on Schitt$ Creek. And before that, Space Force. Before that, Kim's Convenience. Tokyo Stories: Midnight Diner is a real captivating slice of life drama/comedy that shows how good simple stories can be without a lot gun shots, crash & boom.

So, I get around...

Thanks Pupster. That link went to a WSJ pay wall so I couldn't read the bulk. But the title pretty much says it all. The amount of anime on Netflix is one of the reasons I don't subscribe to any of the other anime-centric services like Crunchyroll. Even tho I bemoan Netflix price increases it offers more than enough anime, J & K shows than I could ever get around to watching. And of course the huge variety of shows that places like Crunchy don't have.

What fares best the Asian category is Asian generated shows with just subs added. The Ghost in the Shell "original series" was an adaptation & the CG animation was some of the worst I've ever seen. I couldn't even make it through all of the 1st eps. And the new (American? Canadian?) live action adaptation of the amazing Death Note series was just so God awful... It's what happens when you take a 24 eps series & mash it into 3 hrs. On the other hand, Cowboy Bebop was great even if I didn't feel the need to watch all of it, again, since I have the Blu-Ray. And I believe Neon Genesis Evangelion has yet to be released in USA in high def so it was a treat to see the series again on Netflix in HD.

Besides anime, I'm currently watching The Queens Gambit thanks to your tip. I don't play chess or even checkers. Go Fish confuses me. I am a game idiot. But one of the funny axioms about anime is that if a series is about sports (Prince of Tennis), the last thing it's actually about is sports. It's just a substrate on which the real story is built. And that's how The Queens Gambit strikes me. Yes there's quite a bit high level chess stuff there, but the underlying theme & character development makes this one of the best or at least in top ten shows I've enjoyed on Netflix.

And before Queens Gambit I was hooked on Schitt$ Creek. And before that, Space Force. Before that, Kim's Convenience. Tokyo Stories: Midnight Diner is a real captivating slice of life drama/comedy that shows how good simple stories can be without a lot gun shots, crash & boom.

So, I get around...
Too bad, when I got the link on my iPhone it showed the whole article, now when I go back there’s a pay wall; maybe that’s why they call it
“The WALL Street Journal” LOL

I got HBOMAX for free when I had my WIFI fixed from AT&T. I think all you have to do is ask?

I love the Mandalorian, great show, but disappointed in the advertised Dolby Atmos, my receiver reads it as a Dolby Atmos signal but the Atmos signal is so weak it won't even fire the dedicated amp for the heights to work. The 5.1 comes through just fine. I don't care anymore I just watch it.

They finally came and swapped my Sky HD Satellite box for Sky Q and was told my satellite LNB is starting to fail :( so I'll have to replace that.
What struck me is how little 4k UHD there actually is being broadcast!
Then it looks like I can't get the Mandalorian in 4k from Disney+ via the box, plus unless I directly connect the box to the TV it won't display 4k as I had an HDMI splitter due to :sick: HDMI ****ing issues with the Amp stopping the ARC from working, so I can't listen to anything in surround unless I go via the optical link now. ****ing HDMI ****ing s*** Grrrrr :mad:

I got HBOMAX for free when I had my WIFI fixed from AT&T. I think all you have to do is ask?

I love the Mandalorian, great show, but disappointed in the advertised Dolby Atmos, my receiver reads it as a Dolby Atmos signal but the Atmos signal is so weak it won't even fire the dedicated amp for the heights to work. The 5.1 comes through just fine. I don't care anymore I just watch it.
The lackluster surround on the show is disappointing, but the last couple of shows have been great! I believe they could enhance the atmosphere and action considerably with a more aggressive surround mix.

They finally came and swapped my Sky HD Satellite box for Sky Q and was told my satellite LNB is starting to fail :( so I'll have to replace that.
What struck me is how little 4k UHD there actually is being broadcast!
Then it looks like I can't get the Mandalorian in 4k from Disney+ via the box, plus unless I directly connect the box to the TV it won't display 4k as I had an HDMI splitter due to :sick: HDMI ****ing issues with the Amp stopping the ARC from working, so I can't listen to anything in surround unless I go via the optical link now. ****ing HDMI ****ing s*** Grrrrr :mad:
I get mine (Disney +) through a ROKU stick HDMI in on the back of my Oppo, and then analog out the Oppo to my receiver with separate VIDEO HDMI out to the TV; could you do that?

I get mine (Disney +) through a ROKU stick HDMI in on the back of my Oppo, and then analog out the Oppo to my receiver with separate VIDEO HDMI out to the TV; could you do that?
Annoyingly the Sky Q 1TB UHD box has a single HDMI out (but anyway HDMI HDCP 2.2 checks all connections in the 'chain' and blocks if it finds a non-HDCP 2.2 equipment). Unfortunately I have an Oppo 203 so no analogue out, amp has surround analogue in though!

Well after some playing around with settings I can now get Disney+ and thus the Mandalorian in 4k, in theory if I connect via Optical to the amp I should get Dolby 5.1 (my amp isn't Atmos anyway). I can stream ok, but I haven't managed to get it to download Mandalorian episodes to the Sky Q HDD and as usual the online help is worse than useless!

Back