TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently I've had problems (for the first time in years BTW) with my AT&T U-verse (DSL) freezing programs, from a second or two up to several minutes at a time. And once it starts up again it jumps to the current timing and everything that froze will be lost.

So I checked wires/connections, rebooted the router and box etc. etc. but no dice. Eventually called Tech. Support and they thought it could be a bad Cat. 5 cable. Well I do have the main line going into a switch at my gear station in order to feed a few other devices (i.e. Samsung TV; ROKU stick; Apple TV 4K; Squeezebox)

AT&T finally agreed to send me a new box and router which I installed, but the problem is still there. Now the strange thing about this is that I can watch programs through streaming apps on my Apple TV 4K and have none of those issues; as a matter of fact I was noticing last night (watching one of those CBS FBI shows), that both the sound seemed much clearer and punchy and maybe even a little better picture quality. Just seems real odd, hope it's not something on their system causing this and they're just not admitting to it :unsure:

Finch
A man (played by Tom Hanks), a dog and a robot (played by Caleb Landry Jones) form an unlikely family In “Finch,” premiering exclusively on Apple TV+ on Friday, November 5. Apple Original Films announced today that the highly anticipated film “Finch” will debut on Apple TV+ on Friday, November 5.

FINCH.jpg

Recently I've had problems (for the first time in years BTW) with my AT&T U-verse (DSL) freezing programs, from a second or two up to several minutes at a time. And once it starts up again it jumps to the current timing and everything that froze will be lost.

So I checked wires/connections, rebooted the router and box etc. etc. but no dice. Eventually called Tech. Support and they thought it could be a bad Cat. 5 cable. Well I do have the main line going into a switch at my gear station in order to feed a few other devices (i.e. Samsung TV; ROKU stick; Apple TV 4K; Squeezebox)

AT&T finally agreed to send me a new box and router which I installed, but the problem is still there. Now the strange thing about this is that I can watch programs through streaming apps on my Apple TV 4K and have none of those issues; as a matter of fact I was noticing last night (watching one of those CBS FBI shows), that both the sound seemed much clearer and punchy and maybe even a little better picture quality. Just seems real odd, hope it's not something on their system causing this and they're just not admitting to it :unsure:
Tech Support in any company always seem to say its the cable, after saying reboot!

First thing is anything else grabbing bandwidth when you try watching from your U-Verse? i.e. saving to HDD, streaming in another room.

If not I'd move the cable at your Ethernet switch along to another port, if the problem goes its the port. If it doesn't try another Ethernet switch if you've got one, as the switch internal routing maybe malfunctioning.

Tech Support in any company always seem to say its the cable, after saying reboot!

First thing is anything else grabbing bandwidth when you try watching from your U-Verse? i.e. saving to HDD, streaming in another room.

If not I'd move the cable at your Ethernet switch along to another port, if the problem goes its the port. If it doesn't try another Ethernet switch if you've got one, as the switch internal routing maybe malfunctioning.
Other than maybe some Wi-Fi use, but always did that anyway for concurrent usage.

I tried switching to another switch port but that didn't solve it.

I was thinking next thing to try was changing to a new Cat 5 cable and of course the switch (any req's for a new switch you like Dunc, thought they were pretty generic in quality?) I only have Cat. 5 cables running in my house, ran by the builder in around 2002.

I wouldn't change it just yet, I wired my entire house with Cat6, main HP made switch in the loft feeding different makes of switches where ever I have equipment or PC/printers! I have TPLink/3Comm switches, and some other make I can't remember. They are generic, you can get them with special functions which recognise AV data if the source correctly IDs it as such, just don't buy one that says it can be managed they're a pain.

What often happens is somewhere buried in the web of connections/servers/routers/condenser hubs etc. which is the internet, a DNS server is having difficulties (so translating your service request to the actual source provider in a look-up table) or a mirror server, possibly local to you, and you get high latency on a connection to a particular ip address (this happens a lot with connections to QQ from this side of the pond) so you get freezing. I also get it when I listen to the UK's Planet Rock radio station on the net, as I can't always get a DAB signal due to atmospherics. So I would hassle AT&T first!

I wouldn't change it just yet, I wired my entire house with Cat6, main HP made switch in the loft feeding different makes of switches where ever I have equipment or PC/printers! I have TPLink/3Comm switches, and some other make I can't remember. They are generic, you can get them with special functions which recognise AV data if the source correctly IDs it as such, just don't buy one that says it can be managed they're a pain.

What often happens is somewhere buried in the web of connections/servers/routers/condenser hubs etc. which is the internet, a DNS server is having difficulties (so translating your service request to the actual source provider in a look-up table) or a mirror server, possibly local to you, and you get high latency on a connection to a particular ip address (this happens a lot with connections to QQ from this side of the pond) so you get freezing. I also get it when I listen to the UK's Planet Rock radio station on the net, as I can't always get a DAB signal due to atmospherics. So I would hassle AT&T first!

I do think we're on the same page about this :)
You believe AT&T is also running some compression to save on bandwidth; because the Apple TV 4K stuff definitely seems better?

I do think we're on the same page about this :)
You believe AT&T is also running some compression to save on bandwidth; because the Apple TV 4K stuff definitely seems better?
No necessarily, but somewhere in the network a server/connection trying to deliver you your stream is being overloaded (i.e. too many users), or a piece of kit is failing, so you get freezing, and as it only seems to occur with your AT&T service its their problem/responsibility. There is a thing called the contention ratio which Telco providers have, so how many users connected to a single internet connection, its often a few hundred users per connection, but as it doesn't occur with your AppleTV I think it is elsewhere in the net.

I had U-verse for a couple of years maybe ten years ago. I was never happy with the picture quality or the internet service, for that matter. At the time, a lot of it depended on how far your house was from the hub, or whatever it was called, in your neighborhood. I went through satellite and cable with varying degrees of satisfaction, and then, about a year ago, I got AT&T fiber-optic internet and their streaming service, which, until recently, was called AT&T TV. Both have been rock solid for me. I know everybody has their own setup and preferences, but I don't anticipate ever going back to having a physical DVR. Mine always seemed to go bad, especially cable DVRs.

I had U-verse for a couple of years maybe ten years ago. I was never happy with the picture quality or the internet service, for that matter. At the time, a lot of it depended on how far your house was from the hub, or whatever it was called, in your neighborhood. I went through satellite and cable with varying degrees of satisfaction, and then, about a year ago, I got AT&T fiber-optic internet and their streaming service, which, until recently, was called AT&T TV. Both have been rock solid for me. I know everybody has their own setup and preferences, but I don't anticipate ever going back to having a physical DVR. Mine always seemed to go bad, especially cable DVRs.
Oh, I'd love to have AT&T fiber -optic to the premises (or Fiber to the Prim), but it just missed our neighborhood by a couple of years as they were rolling that out into newer neighborhoods after that time to keep in competition with outfits like Comcast. Looks like we're about 2 miles from our Central Office and that's not too bad for DSL I don't think, and maybe they have some amplifiers between also :unsure:

Like I said though, this is a recent problem, and we went many many years without nary a hiccup; however the need for amount and quality of streaming content may increasingly tax the system I'd bet.

Learned something important about using my Apple TV 4K the other day. I was getting ready to watch last weeks Saturday Night Live on the NBC app and it just wouldn't load; gave me a kind of greyish screen.

Looked up the problem on Google and found out that you can have many apps still left open over multiple sessions that are probably using up resources or causing conflicts etc.

There's an easy way to check that which also lets you switch between open apps as well.

You quickly press the TV button
TV button
(Home) button twice; and it brings up a horizontal row of all your open apps. At that point you either choose which one to see, of swipe up on the clickpad/touch surface to close each one you're currently on.

Once I closed all the apps I had open (about 10 of 'em) the NBC app opened up instantly.

Here's the link from Apple about that:

https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/switch-quickly-between-apps-atvbbcec4f4e/tvos
You may want to check out the User Guide; and make sure you've selected your proper osTV version; which is what I'll be reading, to see what else I don't have a clue about.

Apple TV User Guide

Last edited:
1633836489086.png

Season 3 "The Siren"

Slutty mouthed Dolly goes Bat shit crazy and flies the coop!

1633839327442.png

Lazlo and Colin Robinson decide to steal a boat and take a trip (after snacking on one of the crew mates) in order to investigate a secret Island where Colin believes he can find out the origins of him being an Energy Vampire; and they encounter a Siren along the way. Colin Robinson falls head over heals in love with the half chicken, man eating Siren. Lazlo decides to go Bat, picks up bodyguard/familiar Guillermo and flies to a Best Buy to shop and buy some Noise Cancelling Headphones (for protection from The Siren) in order to save Colin.

While in Best Buy, Lazlo has a conversation with the sales lady on the virtues of 5.1 vs. 7.1 surround. And while leaving Best Buy, bemoans the inability of the mass market to embrace Quadraphonic.

Lazlo flies back to the Island with the Noise Cancelling headphones and saves Colin Robinson.

Nadja sees the light, needing to respect and spend more quality time with Nadja Doll, and convinces slutty mouthed Dolly to return home after soul abducting a giant mouse statue.

One of the best shows of the season! :LOL:

SCI CHANNEL - KILLER of the Cosmos - Cosmic Scrap

We're putting ourselves in an inevitable catastrophic situation with hundreds of thousands of pieces of space junk
that will be cascading together with a domino effect and feedback runaway, called the Kessler syndrome.

This will effectively put us back technologically into the 1950's as to connections; and take decades or more to dig our way back out. Along with the potential of larger debris raining down on earth, causing even more destruction.

https://www.sciencechannel.com/show/killer-of-the-cosmos-science-atve-us
Stay frosty out there, and don't worry be happy :)

NATURE - 🐝
My Garden of a Thousand Bees

*A fabulous show about the wildlife filmmaker Martin Dohrn filming and getting up close and personal, with many varieties of bees in his urban garden in Bristol, England.

We should all appreciate the many species of insects that we share our world with; and it is them that have lived here many millennia longer than us. Our world very much depends on them, more than us; as my good friend and fellow gardener @beerking no doubt can also appreciate. I've put out bee condos in my garden a few years ago (Leafcutter and Mason etc.) and had a great time studying them.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/my-garden-thousand-bees-about/26263/

Learned something important about using my Apple TV 4K the other day. I was getting ready to watch last weeks Saturday Night Live on the NBC app and it just wouldn't load; gave me a kind of greyish screen.

Looked up the problem on Google and found out that you can have many apps still left open over multiple sessions that are probably using up resources or causing conflicts etc.

There's an easy way to check that which also lets you switch between open apps as well.

You quickly press the TV button
TV button
(Home) button twice; and it brings up a horizontal row of all your open apps. At that point you either choose which one to see, of swipe up on the clickpad/touch surface to close each one you're currently on.

Once I closed all the apps I had open (about 10 of 'em) the NBC app opened up instantly.

Here's the link from Apple about that:

https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/switch-quickly-between-apps-atvbbcec4f4e/tvos
You may want to check out the User Guide; and make sure you've selected your proper osTV version; which is what I'll be reading, to see what else I don't have a clue about.

Apple TV User Guide

lol, I had like 10 apps open and didn't even know it.

That trick seems exactly like hitting the home button twice on my ipad and then swiping up the apps to close them.

For some reason I never thought to apply it to my apple tv

NATURE - 🐝
My Garden of a Thousand Bees

*A fabulous show about the wildlife filmmaker Martin Dohrn filming and getting up close and personal, with many varieties of bees in his urban garden in Bristol, England.

We should all appreciate the many species of insects that we share our world with; and it is them that have lived here many millennia longer than us. Our world very much depends on them, more than us; as my good friend and fellow gardener @beerking no doubt can also appreciate. I've put out bee condos in my garden a few years ago (Leafcutter and Mason etc.) and had a great time studying them.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/my-garden-thousand-bees-about/26263/
My help for the bees 100-ish miles South of Bristol. Get a lot of solitary bees - and there are a few eggs been deposited in the bee nest boxes holes which you can just make out as having been plugged up by the bee.
20211021_130000.jpg

Back