TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate that the original intent of this thread was to discuss the new original programming by the various streaming services. But @J. PUPSTER earlier mentioned The Wire which ended in 2008. So certainly streaming can be enjoyed to revisit older quality shows.

For me currently that is Person of Interest. When working it was always a long day & I never got home early enough to watch a whole season or usually not even a whole show. I guess I was just too tired or lazy to get around to recording it. But I loved the concept, the characters and the actors portraying them. In the course of the 5 years it ran even some of the main characters were killed off, a dicey proposition for a mainstream TV show.

But it wasn't all that mainstream combining crime, rescued victims & science fiction. And it never failed to tickle the paranoid gland in my brain.

Many prime time TV shows were produced in 720p at that time but this was 1080i & looks great. The day scenes are bright & contrasty and in shadowy dark scenes even someone wearing a black suit jacket you can see the lapels clearly differentiated from the suit. The sound is crisp & clean but I can't breath life into the stereo soundtrack, even using the Surround Master.

I'm watching it on VUDU but it's also on Amazon, iTunes, Google Play, YouTube.

Last edited:
I appreciate that the original intent of this thread was to discuss the new original programming by the various streaming services. But @J. PUPSTER earlier mentioned The Wire which ended in 2008. So certainly streaming can be enjoyed to revisit older quality shows.

For me currently that is Person of Interest. When working it was always a long day & I never got home early enough to watch a whole season or usually not even a whole show. I guess I was just too tired or lazy to get around to recording it. But I loved the concept, the characters and the actors portraying them. In the course of the 5 years it ran even some of the main characters were killed off, a dicey proposition for a mainstream TV show.

But it wasn't all that mainstream combining crime, rescued victims & science fiction. And it never failed to tickle the paranoid gland in my brain.

Many prime time TV shows were produced in 720p at that time but this was 1080i & looks great. The day scenes are bright & contrasty and in shadowy dark scenes even someone wearing a black suit jacket you can see the lapels clearly differentiated from the suit. The sound is crisp & clean but I can't breath life into the stereo soundtrack, even using the Surround Master.

I'm watching it on VUDU but it's also on Amazon, iTunes, Google Play, YouTube.

I watched that whole series; I won't say anything about it so not to spoil it for ya.

The big three TV networks have a long history of some quality shows (for decades after all, that's all there was.) Maybe someone missed a network classic like 'LOST' and wants to ride that one, etc. etc. I believe that factors into the continued trend of these major content providers, in helping to support their new shows in the streaming wars with decades of older material to offer up to their customers. I'm sure there's more out there I can mine for myself, but I'll just throw this fav. of mine out there to others to consider again...

'Hap and Leonard' - I believe it's on Amazon Prime, but not sure if it's still free, and IINM it may have ended a run recently on Netflix.

I watched that whole series; I won't say anything about it so not to spoil it for ya.

The big three TV networks have a long history of some quality shows (for decades after all, that's all there was.) Maybe someone missed a network classic like 'LOST' and wants to ride that one, etc. etc. I believe that factors into the continued trend of these major content providers, in helping to support their new shows in the streaming wars with decades of older material to offer up to their customers. I'm sure there's more out there I can mine for myself, but I'll just throw this fav. of mine out there to others to consider again...

'Hap and Leonard' - I believe it's on Amazon Prime, but not sure if it's still free, and IINM it may have ended a run recently on Netflix.
Yes an expansive exploration over the years will turn up many good programs on network TV, but a gazillion more idiotic. I think there is, or should be, an informal classification known as Too Good for TV. I can think of quite a few but my favorite example of this is Pushing Daisies.

I was intrigued by LOST and Heroes but never had the chance to watch a single episode. I have never heard of Hap and Leonard but doing a bit of research it sounds like good fun & I've bookmarked & will check out later. Thanks!

Yes an expansive exploration over the years will turn up many good programs on network TV, but a gazillion more idiotic. I think there is, or should be, an informal classification known as Too Good for TV. I can think of quite a few but my favorite example of this is Pushing Daisies.

I was intrigued by LOST and Heroes but never had the chance to watch a single episode. I have never heard of Hap and Leonard but doing a bit of research it sounds like good fun & I've bookmarked & will check out later. Thanks!
Hmmm, Pushing Daisies looks interesting, don't remember it at all; originally on ABC around 2007-2009. Has a very young Lee Pace -didn't even recognize him (so a kind of Foundation association :).) I'll have to try a few episodes; is it on Amazon or Netflix etc???

Hmmm, Pushing Daisies looks interesting, don't remember it at all; originally on ABC around 2007-2009. Has a very young Lee Pace -didn't even recognize him (so a kind of Foundation association :).) I'll have to try a few episodes; is it on Amazon or Netflix etc???
Looks like it's available for purchase several places but streaming for "free" only on HBO Max. It is a quirky, fantasy comedy so if your more of an action thriller kinda guy it might not be for you. But it was welcome escape from shows like 90210 back then.

And I dunno much about Lee Pace but Boy Howdy! Doesn't Kristin Chenowith look her sexy & adorable best?

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is one of those movies that, if I knew I was gonna die tomorrow, I'd say: one more watch. Real problem tho is that I can only watch this movie when it's cold & snow on the ground. Oh well...

But just now I see Netflix is producing an animated form. Actually they call it anime. I have mixed feelings about that. But of course I'll give it a chance.

Here's a trailer, not much cuz it's not in production yet but it's all I got:

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/scott-pilgrim-anime-cast-announcement

Watching something now that makes me both very happy and very sad at the same time.

Little Feat - Celebrating Waiting for Columbus -45th at the Ryman
on PBS
https://www.pbs.org/show/little-feat-celebrating-waiting-columbus-ryman/
Apparently filmed for two shows in 2022 at the Ryman in Nashville. Makes me wonder if @timbre4 went to one of those shows? Only a few original members left; personally I just love Kenny (on Bass) but he doesn't dance and move like he used to!

I only saw them once in the 90's at a funky little place called the Konocti Harbor Resort with The Neville Brothers. :smokin๐Ÿ˜ข

My wife and I have started watching Band Of Brothers, content very good, and the Multiscannel signal 5.1, really reminds me of my first venture in surround, early 90's Laser Disc's with the singing bullits and bomb noises in rear.
One of the best IMO.

I wonโ€™t spoil anything for you; but thereโ€™s an episode where they take a couple of German artillery guns hidden in hedge rows, thatโ€™s one of the most intense war sequences Iโ€™ve seen (in TV/Movies.)

My wife and I have started watching Band Of Brothers, content very good, and the Multiscannel signal 5.1, really reminds me of my first venture in surround, early 90's Laser Disc's with the singing bullits and bomb noises in rear.
After 'BoB' don't forget to watch a companion miniseries The Pacific. IMO two of the best serials about World War II.

Band of Brothers and Band of Brothers: The Pacific were both exquisitely produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg and IMO is MUST SEE TV. HBO hit it out of the ballpark with this series and both are available on BD~V ...and well worth adding to one's collection!

NEVER have the vagaries of WAR been more HORRIFIC...and the very reason we still honor those veterans who fought on both fronts! They left as boys and returned as MEN!

Thanks for "The Pacific" mention; didn't catch that one, I might have thought it was some kind of History Channel documentary.
The PACIFIC is HARROWING, JP! Although dropping the ATOM BOMB on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was in hindsight....BRUTAL .....when you watch these episodes you realize that in order to exit the war the U.S. had to resort to such barbaric tactics...or else it might've gone on for years [although some historians assert that Japan was about to surrender .......prior to dropping those A bombs!]

BAND of BROTHERS and THE PACIFIC are available in a deluxe set [13 BD~A discs] @ 50% off at Amazon [$30]:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Band-of-Brothers-and-The-Pacific-Blu-ray/269509/

Last edited:
My wife and I started watching โ€œFargoโ€ on hulu last night. About half way through episode 2, the sound went apeshit, going up about 10db and sounding like it popped a speaker or two. Then a commercial came on, and it sounded OK.

Back