Tweaks & Tips, Your Favorites

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got my isolation pads, slightly angled downward. Significant difference, mainly bass response, like the cabinet below was sucking the bass before it got to my ears. I little better clarity as the tweeters are more in line with my ears. Placebo effect, yes/no? I used them on fronts R/L and Center. I tried a variety of music, 5.1, 2.0, 4.0 and even 3.0. All variations sounded better to me. They are a little ugly but I can clean them up. I still need to do the rears (cat litter in the stands and flat isolation pad between metal stand screwed to bottom of rear speakers). Always baby steps with me. My speakers are the B&W Diamond 805D3 and center HTM1D3 shown here on stands but my fronts are not on stands but cabinets.
61S8LlcCXYL._AC_SX679_.jpg
805-black-800-series-diamond-speakers.jpg
htm1-d3-black-800-series-diamond-centre-speakers.jpg

I did my last tweak for now with gear. Isolation pads are at fronts. I filled the rear surround stands with sand, they where hollow, added an isolation pad between bottom of speaker and metal plate of stand.
A few pictures. Sorry they are so big.
Big question: For a little work and about $60.00 was there a noticeable difference? The front speakers with the isolation pads tapered downward, noticeable improvement, mostly in bass response. The rears where I filled with sand etc, not as much but hard to tell? They do sound very separate, meaning I don't seem to hear bleeding randomly in the room, but maybe I like that or are used to it? I'll keep it this way for awhile to see if my brain/ears can settle in.
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG

I did my last tweak for now with gear. Isolation pads are at fronts. I filled the rear surround stands with sand, they where hollow, added an isolation pad between bottom of speaker and metal plate of stand.
A few pictures. Sorry they are so big.
Big question: For a little work and about $60.00 was there a noticeable difference? The front speakers with the isolation pads tapered downward, noticeable improvement, mostly in bass response. The rears where I filled with sand etc, not as much but hard to tell? They do sound very separate, meaning I don't seem to hear bleeding randomly in the room, but maybe I like that or are used to it? I'll keep it this way for awhile to see if my brain/ears can settle in.
View attachment 46875View attachment 46876View attachment 46877View attachment 46878View attachment 46879View attachment 46880View attachment 46881View attachment 46882

Good job, Markie. Even a MINOR improvement, IMO, is a VICTORY!

Link to the isolation pads you used would be helpful.

Been 2+ years and I still had not raised my floor standing speakers like I did back in Madrid... I just had not had spare blocks available but after "Ida" there are quite a few around... grabbed four 8x8x16 blocks that were laying around doin' nothin', washed them and right before I was about to place them, found out they are TOO SMALL for my speaker base (9x10)... SOOOooooo I had to carve at the neighborhood refuse to find some cheap ass fake wood panels to place the speakers on top of the blocks... chip off the old block I guess..sound is way more improved indeed...I know they had to be at this height but... "las cosas de palacio van despacio"...
next step...find a speaker stand for the CENTER speaker which has to rise above the tiny 65" screen...if only I had access to power tools I'd be a happy man cause I 'd make my own!!

Back