Two of Three equipment racks.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gene_stl

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
To paraphrase Star Treck the Next Generation , I have completed the first of three equipment racks that I am arranging to hold my multi channel set up.

Sonik Wiz has been sending sub conscious nudging messages to me and I finally got the first one done. The second two will follow much more quickly because my welding shop moved and I finally made it to their new digs. It was very gratifying that they were happy to see me. Their old place got bought by Quick Trip and turned into a gas plex.

For your amusement:
rack-one-of-three-jpeg.70166

Edit: Two of three is now done. Picture would be sort of redundant.

Attachments

• Rack One of Three.jpeg
    Rack One of Three.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
To paraphrase Star Treck the Next Generation , I have completed the first of three equipment racks that I am arranging to set up my multi channel set up.

Sonik Wiz has been sending sub conscious nudging messages to me and I finally got the first one done. The second two will follow much more quickly because my welding shop moved and I finally made it to their new digs. It was very gratifying that they were happy to see me. There old place got bought by quick trip and turned into a gas plex.

For your amusement:
rack-one-of-three-jpeg.70166

Way cool Gene! The mind boggles at the amount of gear you must have to fill 3 of these racks. Other than maybe 21" wide, what is the height & depth with long runners/legs/whatever at the bottom?

And of course I have to be ornery & ask that musical question: couldn't you have just purchased this stuff from Mouser, et al?

And of course I have to be ornery & ask that musical question: couldn't you have just purchased this stuff from Mouser, et al?
Oh I looked. And looked and looked. But first off they would be very expensive bought new. ($250 to $350) And they are only available off the shelf in the 84 inch (seven fooote) size. Smaller sizes were special order. These racks presented themselves for reasonable prices including lots of rack shelves and other useful accessories. A nice couple actually delivered one for me and the Mrs. and I drove up to Springfield Illinois for the two others. All were priced right. They just needed a little "alteration to fit".

Nobody really makes a great free standing rack for audio gear. I used to have some great racking that Pioneer used to make and they were so nice that guys in Europe are duplicating them exactly. But they would be also VERY expensive by the time you got them delivered here. Those Pioneer racks bring like $1000. And my sweet wife said "Why don't you just buy the copies (from Hungary and Chermany)?" But I refuse to spend a grand on racking. Especially on a single rack. This one and it's two partners will come in as it stands at about $150 each. With heavy duty industrial glides. If you search fleabay for "Pioneer Rack" whatever does come up is breathtakingly priced. Like rack ears for $270 a pair. There are machinists making those too. In Europe. A Rack shelf from Pioneer that I had three of is offered at $795. I still have one and it fits my crossover.

The anti tip legs go back about 20 inches from the bottom back flange which I would be afraid might be tippable since these are server racks and are intended to be fastened to a concrete floor. They stand 59 and 3/8 inches tall and have 53 inches (30 rack units) in between the cross members.

And yes it is true that I have a lot of gear. It just comes to me.
pix will follow as it gets loaded. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Back