U.K. DSOTM Q8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have two of the DVD's. But I am a collector of vintage quad media and hardware. I do have a small collection of CD, DVD and BR multi channel music. Same goes for hardware. I have my collection of vintage (50's - 70's) hardware. But I also have multiple computers (of course!) and receivers (Five +- years old).
The ELO U.K. discrete quad tape is what I have recently been looking for. I thought I had a connection to one, but it never came through. Oh well, that's part of the fun of it !
That P.F. DSOTM tape is complete and looks well taken care of. I purchased mine about a year ago for 200 dollars less . Plays fantastic compared to the U.S. version. I guess if one want's it bad enough.

Another DSOTM , UK quad tape for bid. Price is insane though. The two I have , together didn't cost $675 ! And both came with original sleeves !

Hah! Someone could buy the DSOTM Immersion Boxed Set a few times over for that price. Yes, I realize that would be missing the collectability of the 8-track, but that would also mean someone is missing their marbles. Again, buy the Immersion set, and you'd get some marbles too :ROFLMAO: .

I don't really think there's much collectibility in the Q8 tape. The value is in the content. But with the content available in better quality on several other formats now, the only real value in the tape is bragging rights. It's like the people who are naiive enough to pay big money for the US Q8. They're just throwing their money away.

If a person were so inclined, they could just buy the DVD-A (or whatever format DSOTM is on this week) and record it to a Q8.

I will never pay big money for this title. I don't see the value in it. But I did track down the DVD-A of the ELO title. There's only one song on there I enjoy, the mix is a bit wonky on some songs but definitely worth the $20 or so I spent on it. Heck, I've had a DTS CD of the Alan Parson's mix of DSOTM for something like 20 years now! Long before it was available legitimately. I got it for free!

Last edited:
I don't really think there's any collectibility on the Q8 tape. The value is in the content. But with the content available in better quality on several other formats now, the only real value in the tape is bragging rights. It's like the people who are naiive enough to pay big money for the US Q8. They're just throwing their money away.

If a person were so inclined, they could just buy the DVD-A (or whatever format DSOTM is on this week) and record it to a Q8.

I will never pay big money for this title. I don't see the value in it. But I did track down the DVD-A of the ELO title. There's only one song on there I enjoy, the mix is a bit wonky on some songs but definitely worth the $20 or so I spent on it. Heck, I've had a DTS CD of the Alan Parson's mix of DSOTM for something like 20 years now! Long before it was available legitimately. I got it for free!

The value is in the eye of the collector . I collect vintage quad equip even though there is new stuff out there such as Involve Surround Master etc. And as you mentioned; there are a bunch of recent digital formats to choose from to get multi channel sound. But again , I collect "vintage" equip and medium because that is what I have chosen to do. Not to show off or brag, but because I enjoy it. I post my purchases on this site because I like being a part of QQ and sharing my new finds. Nuff said

I'm a collector, too! I enjoy it, and I love to show off and brag. heheh. :cool:
But I can't see any of us shelling out $675 dollars for a used, Q8 tape to listen to the discrete version of Dark Side of the Moon.
$35, maybe. $50 if it was mint. $112.63 if it was signed by all the members of Pink Floyd.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's very hard to put a price on some of these items now. I'm sure most of us (in the case of myself, most certainly) chased down these old tapes to hear what was on them. There was no other way to hear these surround mixes, other than playing the vintage tapes. But lately, a lot of these mixes are seeing the light of day on better, more stable modern formats. So, there really is no "value" in the contents anymore, when a fellow could (potentially) go out and buy the boxed set for whatever it's going for ($120 or so I'm guessing) and have in full fidelity, the exact same mix.

Which leads me back to my point. Is this cartridge worth $675 as nothing more than a curio? As a collector of these very things, I say "no".
Is it worth something?? Absolutely! There's no denying that the item itself does have some intrinsic value! But as a source to hear the Alan Parson's mix of Dark Side? No. It's time has passed. Clearly, with a starting bid like that, and NO bidders.... there might be some weight to my side of the argument.

Same thing for the E.L.O. cartridge. Yes, it is a very rare tape and totally part of the historical musical landscape. Is it worth 130-metric tonnes of Gold-Pressed Latinum? Quark says "no". Remember the third rule of acquisition.

This is one of those things that keeps me up at night. I've spent an inordinate amount of time and money on my collection of both stereo and Quad 8-track, Reel tapes and LP's.
I have no heirs, I have very little family and generally despise what little is left. By the time I die, I highly doubt much of what I've collected will be worth anything and it's probably all going to get binned.

Last edited:
I'm a collector, too! I enjoy it, and I love to show off and brag. heheh. :cool:
But I can't see any of us shelling out $675 dollars for a used, Q8 tape to listen to the discrete version of Dark Side of the Moon.
$35, maybe. $50 if it was mint. $112.63 if it was signed by all the members of Pink Floyd.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's very hard to put a price on some of these items now. I'm sure most of us (in the case of myself, most certainly) chased down these old tapes to hear what was on them. There was no other way to hear these surround mixes, other than playing the vintage tapes. But lately, a lot of these mixes are seeing the light of day on better, more stable modern formats. So, there really is no "value" in the contents anymore, when a fellow could (potentially) go out and buy the boxed set for whatever it's going for ($120 or so I'm guessing) and have in full fidelity, the exact same mix.

Which leads me back to my point. Is this cartridge worth $675 as nothing more than a curio? As a collector of these very things, I say "no".
Is it worth something?? Absolutely! There's no denying that the item itself does have some intrinsic value! But as a source to hear the Alan Parson's mix of Dark Side? No. It's time has passed. Clearly, with a starting bid like that, and NO bidders.... there might be some weight to my side of the argument.

Same thing for the E.L.O. cartridge. Yes, it is a very rare tape and totally part of the historical musical landscape. Is it worth 130-metric tonnes of Gold-Pressed Latinum? Quark says "no". Remember the third rule of acquisition.

This is one of those things that keeps me up at night. I've spent an inordinate amount of time and money on my collection of both stereo and Quad 8-track, Reel tapes and LP's.
I have no heirs, I have very little family and generally despise what little is left. By the time I die, I highly doubt much of what I've collected will be worth anything and it's probably all going to get binned.
That all makes perfect sense to me; I’ve had to come to the realization (and try to make peace with) that when I’m gone, all this great music of mine most likely won’t land in a place I’d prefer. But just being in the here and now with my fellow QQ lovers gives me great comfort. I conclude that the above DSOTM seller is a money 💰 grabbing bastard :)

I put in a LOT of hours doing restoration on the best copy and transfer of the AHM UK Q8 that anyone could turn up (it was A_L) around 10 years ago. It was really nice to have for a good while there. The best copy available if I do say so myself. :D Wholly and entirely a moot point now with the bluray of the quad AHM. My remaster has no value to me at all anymore. It's easy to get sucked into hanging onto old work with a lot of genuine effort into it. Feels disresprctful to past efforts or something to let it go. I try to think of that past as the price of admission to the new improved version.

Actually, it's going to be people on forums like this that end up archiving and preserving a few things that would have otherwise slipped through the cracks.

The seller doesn't really comprehend the difference between the US and UK versions, referring to them by color. UKs were white and green, US was purple. We all know the difference is in the material, not the clam shell.

The time for selling all of this stuff was in 2000-2010. There was a mad eBay frenzy. Today this tape with it's fade-out fade-in cannot stand up to the Immersion legit version, or even the alleged AP leaked DTS version from back then.

The tape itself is the thing someone would be bidding on. To hold it, look at it, and check off a box on the collection list. To me $600+ is too much for a checked box on a list. BUT - if it's something you might want, then of course you have to go for it. All's fair in collecting quad!!

The seller doesn't really comprehend the difference between the US and UK versions, referring to them by color. UKs were white and green, US was purple. We all know the difference is in the material, not the clam shell.

The time for selling all of this stuff was in 2000-2010. There was a mad eBay frenzy. Today this tape with it's fade-out fade-in cannot stand up to the Immersion legit version, or even the alleged AP leaked DTS version from back then.

The tape itself is the thing someone would be bidding on. To hold it, look at it, and check off a box on the collection list. To me $600+ is too much for a checked box on a list. BUT - if it's something you might want, then of course you have to go for it. All's fair in collecting quad!!

Yeah. With that price , it will be there for quit a while. I paid a high price for my copy ($300) just to have it in my collection. And I do have the Immersion box sets. Anybody don't want their Q8's ? Send me a PM.

I just wish I could get my Akai deck to record properly. I once took the Alan Parson's mix, played around with the order and I think I had to do a fade on one song, but I got it to fit on the US Q8. I have one cartridge that sounds OK, but it's a bit hissy. I had this crazy plan to buy up a bunch of US Q8's and record the Parson's mix onto them but, I'm really lazy and the results weren't as stellar as I'd hoped.

Problem is now, after adjusting my Akai for best playback, it'll record flawlessly onto track 1, then when you record track 2, it'll partially erase track 1. I have downloaded the maintenance manual and now know how to readjust the erase head but again, I'm awfully lazy. I still haven't finished that purple Q8 of Abbey Road I posted ages ago.

Today this tape with it's fade-out fade-in cannot stand up to the Immersion legit version, or even the alleged AP leaked DTS version from back then.

Which was pretty darn good (so I've heard)............................................................. :whistle:

That's the one I have a copy of. Dude I did some horse trading with once upon a time sent it along during one transaction. It's good - very good for being "just" DTS. No artifacting, low hiss, good sonics. It's about as good as a lowly DTS CD can sound. I still enjoy it.

$600 could buy me another AMC Gremlin. Hell, I was squeeking paying $122.50 for the Elvis in Memphis CD-4. But that's a far cry from the $300 Buy-It-Now that you usually see it listed for. Like Boss Man says, the peak time for the vintage formats has come and gone. My collection exploded over the last few years because I've been able to score stuff so cheap. Even the Reels have come way, way down. What used to go for $300 is now going for $70 or less. It's not necessarily a bad thing though! For those who are still into or just getting into this crazy little hobby, things have become affordable. Though it does seem that some of the hardware has gotten a little out of hand. The other day I saw a Pioneer QX-9900 listed for more than a Marantz 4400 with a working scope.

Last edited:

It's all worth it as long as you're enjoying it, brother. We're all here for a limited time and getting massive pleasure from a slightly expensive but otherwise benign endeavor is a good thing in my book.

It's all worth it as long as you're enjoying it, brother. We're all here for a limited time and getting massive pleasure from a slightly expensive but otherwise benign endeavor is a good thing in my book.
That is a fact . When my brother was fighing cancer , he decided he wanted a 95 Nissan Z like the one he had before someone pulled out in front of him . It got totaled , he lost both his big toes. So , I found one on craigslist . We drove fom Merced to Sac to buy it. He drove it home . Huge smile on his face. Two months later he passed. A great memory that i will alway treasure.

That is a fact . When my brother was fighing cancer , he decided he wanted a 95 Nissan Z like the one he had before someone pulled out in front of him . It got totaled , he lost both his big toes. So , I found one on craigslist . We drove fom Merced to Sac to buy it. He drove it home . Huge smile on his face. Two months later he passed. A great memory that i will alway treasure.

That's cool that you got to share that with your brother. Those are the moments that make life worth living.

That's sort of what I think hobbies are all about: sharing our passion with others. Bringing joy. Even just the basics of sharing. In 2016, I bought my first new car; a 2016 Mustang GT. I'm not a Ford guy by any stretch - it's actually the first one I've owned. Yes it's fast. Yes it's pretty. Yes to whatever question people can come up with about it. What do I enjoy the most about it? It brought my brother and I closer together. Classically, my brother and I have never gotten along. He's a jock, I'm a dork. But as the years have gone on, he's softened up and I think has learned a thing or two about how relationships with people work. Regardless, he was insanely jealous - and I mean, climbing the walls. Within 30 minutes of me posting on Facebook that I'd ordered my new car, he was on the phone tearing me a new one.

Fast forward 'til he came to visit and I'd picked up the car. Because he never shared anything in his life, he was under the impression I was going to lord it over him. Until I threw the key fob at him and said "You're my brother. Why would I do that? Just don't wreck it."

Since then, he now visits regularly, we talk, he and I go for drives in the car (he drives, natch) and I can safely say he's felt like more of a brother in the last four years than in the last 40. But sharing is what it's all about. Why would I deprive my own flesh and blood of the joys of...... anything?? I believe in constructive things.

He still thinks my 8-tracks are a waste of time though. LOL.
He does however think my collection of CED's and it's working player is astonishing. It blows his mind that a vinyl record can produce video.

Wow did this thread go off the rails. My apologies. 🤪

Back