BluRay Music Video Poll U2 - RATTLE AND HUM [HD-DVD/Blu Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Disc of U2 - RATTLE AND HUM

• 10: Great fidelity, Great Surround Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HD title. If you feel so inclined, include info on the type of equipment you are using for playback and your setup.

When voting, please remember that we're mostly interested in the quality of the sound and the surround mix as opposed to the video presentation, although in the case of these discs that would also be a consideration when contemplating a disc purchase.

Attachments

• u2 front.jpg
    u2 front.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 382
  • u2 back.jpg
    u2 back.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 634
This was my first Blu-Ray because I wanted to compare it to the standard DVD that I already owned. I used it to set up my audio options and my new speakers. The music alone would rate a "10" but because it's a concert, the audio quality gets knocked down a notch. I'd much rather hear the same material in a studio recording. The crowd noise is a distraction to my ears. With all that said, the sound is very good on this release. In comparison to the DVD, I'd say it's much fuller and more engulfing. I think the HD capabilities bring out more sound than I was hearing before. I'm not a techie but if this is due to higher bitrates, then woooohooo! Jack them bitrates up!

This is a great disc for both audio and video. U2 is captured at the peak of their performing abilities. It's much more than just a concert film. You get to see how they prepare, create, and perform. Good show!

I'm ready to thow my SD version on the sell stack, does the video still look intentially grainy or did they shine it up at all?

It's still grainy (intentional?) even when it switches over to color. Not much of an upgrade but overall better than the SD.

I have the HD-DVD and think the surround is pretty good for still being lossy. Nice mix and audio quality. Video benefits just very slightly from HDTV treatment, though. Video is primarily black/white and grainy, as previously stated. So don't expect to showcase the video aspects of your HDTV with thing one. I wish it were more of a straightforward concert video rather than attempting to make a film out of it.

I guess it'd be a keeper had HD-DVD not folded. Now I wish I had the BD version. Oh, well. :eek:

Since the movie celebrates its 20th anniversary this year, any chance of an upgrade of this, maybe a Deluxe Edition of sorts? I don't have a Blu-Ray yet but this would be one of the first titles I would pick up.

I found the dts track on the BluRay to be an improvement over the stellar DD track on the DVD which I didn't think would be possible.

The DD track on the DVD is/was awesome.

There is also an improvement in the picture quality over the DVD.

The film itself is an excellent time capsule of the boys at the zenith of their careers.

The Blu is a definite must have.

Since the movie celebrates its 20th anniversary this year, any chance of an upgrade of this, maybe a Deluxe Edition of sorts? I don't have a Blu-Ray yet but this would be one of the first titles I would pick up.

I have not seen any mention of a re-release and I sure wouldn't expect it anytime soon, I believe the chances are basically nil for this year and the same for next year.

Chris

I found the dts track on the BluRay to be an improvement over the stellar DD track on the DVD which I didn't think would be possible.

The DD track on the DVD is/was awesome.

There is also an improvement in the picture quality over the DVD.

The film itself is an excellent time capsule of the boys at the zenith of their careers.

The Blu is a definite must have.

I agree.

The interviews are grainy, but the live concert parts are sharp.

Sound is excellent, enjoyed "All I Want Is You" in HD sound as the credits rolled, good mix.

blu-ray version

Bob

Back